The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I started using Band in a Box about 2 months ago. I've become a bit faster at keying tunes into it but I wonder if anyone has a collection of BIAB songs they would be willing to share.

Jack

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Search google. There are a few good sites out there with a lot of songs on there, sometimes with the melodies included! BiaB is awesome!

godd idea. thanks.

User Info Menu

I've got Realbook 1 and 2, realbook 1 in Bb and the new realbook 1 in BIAB format. so if anybody is interested, drop me a message and i'll upload them to my webserver...

-Cheers!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hey, could anyone shed some insight as to how to use the realbook with band in a box? Is there somewhere special I'm supposed to extract the files to? I've tried extracting the entire realbook file into my band in a box folder but to no avail. I'm sure it's something stupid but I searched the yahoo group and I can't find the answer to my question.

User Info Menu

Hi folks,
    I can't comment on the 2007 version of Band-in-a-Bin. (yep, I said 'Bin'!)

I haven't used the 2007 version, as I didn't buy any versions after the 2004 upgrade. Reason? It didn't really do what it said on the tin, even after downloading patches. It refused to 'burn' tracks to a CD disc. It refused to transcribe solos as it should.

As for typing in chords, well some of the timings were out, regardless of my using original transcripts, from which I laboriously copied in chords, bar by bar!

If you want to practice jazz, then I think you would be better served by using the Jamey Aerbersold tracks. There are also good sources at:

Jazzbacks.com, and standardstrax.com.

If you wish to post on Youtube etc, I don't know how you go on regarding copyright. I believe you can use the tracks freely, as long as you don't copy them to sell. Also you might find you should pay to the 'Performing Rights Society', so that royalties can be paid to composers or to their estates, if they are deceased.

Someone somewhere has the copyright to most music. It's all very well blaming fat cats, but consider how you would feel, if someone stole one of your originals and said it was theirs?

I use Band in a Box for practice yes, but it's a fiddle getting things sorted at times.

That's my bit.
    Happy playing

Stay Lucky
    John

User Info Menu

Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear Band in a Box 2004 is not working for you as you hoped it would.

It refused to 'burn' tracks to a CD disc.
    This is probably a problem with drivers of your CD burner, inproper configuration of your PC or too much processes running in the background.

You can always export to .wav or .mp3 and burn to disc using your favorite burning software.

It refused to transcribe solos as it should.
    Band in a Box doens't transcribe solos, certainly not the 2004 version. The makers of the program never claimed it transcribed solos, the technology simply doesn't exist, even now. The latest version of BIAB can assist you in getting the chords out of an mp3, but that's as far as it goes today.

As for typing in chords, well some of the timings were out, regardless of my using original transcripts, from which I laboriously copied in chords, bar by bar!
    BIAB plays with a timing that you want it to play with. Everything is configurable. There are styles with a weird timing and there are styles with a normal timing.

If you want to practice jazz, then I think you would be better served by using the Jamey Aerbersold tracks.
    Aebersold cds sound good, but have limitations. Are you going to buy the backing track for every standard you have to know on the gig next weekend?

Band in a Box works perfect out of the box if you want to use it for basic practicing (improvising over standards, practicing themes, chord progressions), 1000s of people (including me) use it for that purpose and are happy with it. If you want to use some of its more advanced functionality, you've got to read the manual.

Another thing: if you experience problems using music software (especially for recording audio), you need to tweak your PC.

The copyright issue: chord progressions and titles don't have copyright. Melodies do have copyright.

Someone somewhere has the copyright to most music. It's all very well blaming fat cats, but consider how you would feel, if someone stole one of your originals and said it was theirs?
    Well said.

If you've got a specific BIAB problem you can always send me a mail.

Cheers,
    Dirk

User Info Menu

Hi Dirk,

I think I used the word transcribe in the wrong sense.
    The version I have is capable of compiling the chords entered into a properly notated sheet of music.

Also there is a button for 'making a solo'. However the message is always, 'Solo transcribed. 0 notes transcribed) So maybe that is what you mean by no technology.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs Dirk: As if I would!

The Standards, are so called, because most of them use 'Standard Progressions'. With 'ear-training' (which soon comes to a jazz minded player) one can recognise the progressions almost instantly. So, as most standards are a 'mix and match' of these basic progressions, I would imagine maybe a half-dozen of the backing track books would cover just about any progression you might come across on a gig. So a jazz player is limited only by imagination, the scales, chords and arpeggios known, and knowing where they are on the neck. Once you have a good grounding in those things, imagination (Good standard!) comes into play, for fresh sounding solos, and 'chops'. Even 'shredding' if you wish.

This is why players like Joe Pass make things seem so effortless. It wasn't so much the number of scales Joe Pass knew, (although he knew virtually every scale in all keys, and where they were) His genius came from having the facility to hear what he wanted to play. If you pay close attention to his playing, you will hear the same scales and chords quite often, but used is many different ways! He also wasn't a player who used arpeggios much, but for sure I reckon he knew those too.

I can't claim the same knowledge. I'm not a pro, but I have been playing for 48 years now, so I am pretty familiar with most of the progressions. Thus I found Band in a Box limiting for some of the chords that are pertinent to the true, jazz sound. I can't describe it, but it is a definite 'sound'. Maybe the new Band in a Box can play those altered chords now. I was thinking of upgrading or maybe buying the whole package again anyhow, so I might give it a try.

As you say no copyright on progressions or titles.. That's why I play 'Embracing Her' and 'Night Follows Day' a lot!

If it is any help to the neophytes, I see the scales as patterns on the fretboard. I use the grid formed by frets and strings, to find the intervals I need to play through a progression. It's difficult at first, but like everything else, it comes to the player with practice. One important point... Once you have mastered a pattern, for a particular scale, you know it can be moved around the fretboard. So, make sure you always use that same pattern to play that scale. That's how you get the familiarity to play at seemingly effortless speed.

Books? Most of Warren Nunes books are ideal for the beginner. (And some more advanced players too!)

Cheers Dirk,
    Happy Jazzing
    and Stay Lucky

John

User Info Menu

Hi DIRRJ1

New to this site. I have used "Band I A Box" for the past 10+ years and downloaded all the up grades. Note: There are lots of free educational cds that come with each up grade: ie; for guitar chords and scales, piano licks and scales, and other programs that interact with this program..

This program has been one of the greatest tools, and I repeat a tool, to use for practice, soloing, and improvisal skills.. If I'm having trouble soloing on a section of a song, I type in the chords per measure and play on.

Have you purchased the new Master solo series for jazz?
    I'm thinking of getting it along the master class
    Ken

User Info Menu

Sherry Mayrent's Klezmer Style/Song Disk for Band-in-a-Box is one of the best collections that i know of. I purchased it a few weeks ago and i've been using i nonstop since. Also, if you're looking for free songs, they have a few you can download at nortonmusic.com. The quality isn't perfect but since it's free there's not much to complain about..lol.
    Last edited by Jichino; 06-11-2008 at 02:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Jacksreb,
    I send you a couple of address where you can find a lot fo BiaB Files:

MMISSARY : Band In A Box Files

Welcome to Minor9!

Have enjoy

CC323 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPelicano
    Due to the recent spate of copyright protection lawsuits and threats of lawsuits that have been going around, a number of sites that used carry significant numbers of BIAB transcriptions have been shut down by their owners, to avoid the potential legal hassles. There was a great French site that had all sorts of BIAB songs but it is no longer available. This is the same thing that happened to the guitar tablature sites like OLGA.

Leave it to greedy corporations to kill the things that nurture the independent music scene. They just want to sell more sheet music and transcription books, I suppose.

You might also try Usenet newsgroups, where I have had some success in the past locating BIAB and other jazz-related learning materials.
    First of all, I whole heartedly agree with supporting artists rights. I think that the illegal download of music is ethically wrong, but a lot of the transcription companies have a monopoly on that whole business. I honestly don't think most composers really care about their songs being transcribed as long as people aren't trying to sell these groups of songs for BIAB or whatever else. The only time I'd say otherwise is in an instance such as the Omnibook or other artist done/sponsored transcriptions that are famous and readily available. Just my opinions though, I don't mean to offend anyone, so if I do, I apologise in advance. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Leave it to greedy corporations to kill the things that nurture the independent music scene. They just want to sell more sheet music and transcription books, I suppose.

Greedy corporations? Do you not think that composers and families of deceased writers not deserve fair compensation for use of their work?
    Frankly no! I don’t believe that distant relatives are entitled to royalties on the work of their deceased forbears, who just happened to be composers, writers or artists. Royalties and performing rights fees should be paid only to the surviving spouse and children of an artist. Once they are gone, then any other family should only receive ‘performing rights fees’.

There is an organisation called ‘The Performing-Rights Society’. This group oversees the whole affair so that any performer who plays a melody, pays a fee, which is given to the composer or surviving estate. In the case of extended relatives, this should be enough.

The present crazy copyright system has meant that some popular and capable performers on sites such as YouTube, have been forced to take down all the work they have done, change their account name and then re record their music, with strange titles, such as ‘Sole Body’ and ‘You’re under My Dermis’.

Surely the ‘Copyright hawks’ should be satisfied if these YouTube performers had contacted the Performing Rights Society and paid their fee; just as they have to be satisfied, when we go out on a live gig and furnish a list of the tunes we played.

The present system is the reason that some of our deceased ‘Mega-Stars’ are richer than living artists. It’s also the reason distantly related family members are receiving money for which they have done absolutely nothing. This is not in the interest of art. It just serves the recording and music companies, helping make them richer by default.

As well as playing the guitar, I also paint and write. So, I don’t agree with the illegal downloading of music, nor of plagiarism, or stealing artwork. But surely, as there is in music, there could be a society that takes a fee from anyone who wishes to reproduce artwork and literature, legally. Can’t the vultures be satisfied with that? It seems not.

User Info Menu

The whole Intellectual Property (IP) issue is so annoying. I agree that musicians and composers are professionals and deserve to get paid. I however do not agree to paying some large publishing or audio company $20 so the artist can get a nickle. I support live music. I support independant music, I will NOT support some record tycoons new gulf stream jet. Thats a fact.

As for Band In A Box, its the best thing since sliced bread. Its sweet, plug in the chords of a standard, try some substitutions. Turn on the soloist and comp along. Its probably been the tool over the last 2 years that has improved my playing. The Abersold play along series are great if you want to learn tunes the hoaky standard way, which don't get me wrong, is super important. Most of the gigs I get are corperate shing digs where the people want to feel classy so they get live jazz music. Hoaky swing standards are what they want to hear. My ii-V-I licks are hot shit when I play over the Abersold series for a extended amount of time. BAnd in a Box provides much need variety, and a platform to try things out before bringing them to a jam or feature preformance. The only problem with BiaB is the fact that there are little room for odd meters and time signature changes.

User Info Menu

Hello, I am so glad of meet you all in this thread with lot of Band-in-a-Box lovers like me!. My name is Carlos, I am moderator and web host for the spanish BIAB forum in PGMusic. Will be a pleasure to share!. I use Band in a Box from 1992 or 93, in Atari 1040 ST and since then I have used it as a incredibly useful tool for learning, practicing, song writing and compose and many more things, I even use it sometimes as test plataform for guitar amp plugins which I am beta tester. I have all Real Tracks and RDrums, fantastic improvement, it has brilliant future in front, however I think BIAB still has much to offer even with MIDI. The cool factor is RT and RD can be combined with MIDI for utmost versatility.
    BTW, thanks for links and resources, I am on check some just now.

I want to share some stuff I recorded with and with help of Band in a Box, Real Band, RT and RD, please feel free of listen and criticize when you want, hope some of that like to you.

cheers. Saludos amigos!

(I have this as BIAB song available to anyone interested...PM me, not fees for home use )

Song remarks :
    The first track I tittled it " Spanish Victoria" a word game of Victoria BC and spanish music style, the song is based in a commun spanish flamenco progression blended with blues and funk, I found part of the progression in Band in a Box demo song list, then I did re-arrange and complete my chords according to the full melody I wrote. As substitute of MIDI drums I use FusionFunkTerryClark real drum, great one!, I use a hybrid I made from Fernando and Catalina LA Pop Jazz MIDI styles. The second song is my rendition of the beatiful tune Look Of Love (B. Bacharach) after hear the incredible version of Diana Krall. I use Slow Bossa Trio plus a MIDI E. Piano, also Band in a Box+Real Band.
    MIna Sambinha details in YT video INFO

User Info Menu

It is not "greedy corporations" who act to protect their PROPERTY which is what a copyright is. If YOU were the songwriter and were struggling to earn a living (as most are) YOU would protect your property from people who would rob you of it.

Due to the recent spate of copyright protection lawsuits and threats of lawsuits that have been going around, a number of sites that used carry significant numbers of BIAB transcriptions have been shut down by their owners, to avoid the potential legal hassles. There was a great French site that had all sorts of BIAB songs but it is no longer available. This is the same thing that happened to the guitar tablature sites like OLGA.

You might also try Usenet newsgroups, where I have had some success in the past locating BIAB and other jazz-related learning materials.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Henkes
    I've got Realbook 1 and 2, realbook 1 in Bb and the new realbook 1 in BIAB format. so if anybody is interested, drop me a message and i'll upload them to my webserver...

-Cheers!
    Wow! I'm definately interested in any concert pitch Real Books in BIAB format! Lay 'em on me!

Cheers Antar

User Info Menu

Dear Bass 2 thanks for the info! I will keep it in mind. I am about to become a BIAB dude--haven't received it yet--haven't even created my own track. I'm into harmonic jazz and I need it to create backing tracks of songs I like but I don't have a backing track for. Also the problem of tracks too fast for me to think harmonically at the rudimentary level in jazz I'm at right now.

I played Indian music for 30 years (sitar) I practiced and performed in many cycles : 7, 9, 11, 8 1/2 etc. I found that it is more difficult to create a good fresh idea in straight 16 (4+4+4+4) than to just make the changes. So. a little swing four four is good for me right now. But other meters are an interest of mine for composing. who kinows down the line so thanks again!

Cheers
    Last edited by antarblue; 12-06-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: punctuation spelling

User Info Menu

Actually, there is a way to transcribe solos and hear them in BIAB. Here is what I do...

I use Guitar Pro to enter the notes of the solo I want ( i used some of the blues solos from the Joe Pass Book).
    Save it as a MIdi file
    Import the midi file into BIAB into the Melody track
    Enter the chords as you normally would do on the chord sheet and save.

You can now hear the solo played over the chords...and look at the notes on the guitar fretboard if you want..

User Info Menu

Entering the guitar notes is the issue. For instance, I am working on Tony Mottola's version of Stardust. I really do not want to take the time to figure out each and every single little nuance of his solo, I would rather just see them on the fretboard and then learn them just exactly as he plays them. (I also do not have Guitar Pro....do you recommend it?)

User Info Menu

I have began creating BIAB Backing Tracks for Wes Montgomery Tunes.
    If anyone is interested I am willing to provide you with the BIAB files.
    Tunes I have so far are:

Ecaroh
    Repetition
    Jingles