Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Reason $399

Reaper $60

Now there's a no brainer.

Peter, what year/version of BIAB do you have?
    Yes Reaper, never used but a lot of peole seem content with it ,it may do,
    I use Logic,but I had versions of BiAB back when i still used a PC,do not remember version number,but it was quite clumsy and not liked it
    much to be honest,it was good for Karaoke imho,very little else....
    Just to remind,Logic Pro as of now, it's a "real steal" for 179€,full package.....
    at treble Reaper price,you get 100 times more,in my opinion,of course that's for Mac users....
    EDIT:
    I forgot one important thing,if your aim is only playing "live",and do not need a complete DAW,then Mainstage (the Logic, companion in the Logic Stusdio Suite)
    can be bought on itself for 30€....
    Apple - MainStage 2 - A complete live rig, right on your Mac.
    Last edited by peterpanico; 12-26-2012 at 12:57 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The newer BIAB versions have a lot of real tracks. Those of you that haven't used it for years haven't used the realtracks.

Creating the RealTracks required BIAB doing studio recordings with studio musicians. A lot of recordings. That seems to be what the BIAB folks are focusing on as far as improving their product. As a BIAB user I'm glad that is their focus, the RealTracks are where the value is, imo.
    Last edited by fep; 12-26-2012 at 02:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I use BIAB on my Windows laptop and I have iReal on my iPad. BIAB using Real Tracks is my prime practice tool. I only us iReal when I have too.The user interface is not what you'd normally expect but it is hugly functional. It does what it needs to do, and it does it well once you get used to it.Being able to build arrangements with the melody on midi against a real track accompniment and then have real tracks soloists whilst I add guitar comping alongside the base & drums and then play my solo against the bass and drums comp, add some trading fours and it allows me to create an approximate jazz jam experience to practice against for my all my pieces.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clive909
    Agree with that.I use BIAB on my Windows laptop and I have iReal on my iPad. BIAB using Real Tracks is my prime practice tool. I only us iReal when I have too.The user interface is not what you'd normally expect but it is hugly functional. It does what it needs to do, and it does it well once you get used to it.Being able to build arrangements with the melody on midi against a real track accompniment and then have real tracks soloists whilst I add guitar comping alongside the base & drums and then play my solo against the bass and drums comp, add some trading fours and it allows me to create an approximate jazz jam experience to practice against for my all my pieces.
    Nice! You just gave me some excellent ideas to my own backing tracks, like trading fours. I've never thought of that. I normally loop the parts I'm having trouble with or the ones I wanna learn or try different lines, like playing through the changes. Thank you, Clive909! You just made an old man happy!

On another note:

As I've never got an answer 'bout the BIAB Mac interface, I went to the PG site and watched two of the BIAB for Mac videos and lo and behold, the UI is almost exactly the same, with the only gripe I've found is typing the chords into that small box instead of directly on the cell, like in the Windows version.

OTOH, Mac users have the advantage over Windows users of direct track drag-and-drop directly into any DAW they have, Garage Band, Logic or whatever.

Looking at all these simple facts, one can only conclude that some folks are just victims of their own contempt. They just don't know what they're missing.

And of course, this is just *my opinion*. Deal with it!
    Last edited by LtKojak; 12-27-2012 at 04:41 PM.