The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

I can't find any metronomes that go up to 300 bpm. The ones I have top out at 208 beats per minute (bpm) or less. Other than downloading a metronome beat from the internet, I need to know if anyone knows of any good metronomes that reach 300 bpm?

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

dr bettote for the mac goes up to 310 bpms. many other features too.

k

User Info Menu

You really don't want one that fast, it would a useless stream of noise. Take a regular mm and set it to click in 2 & 4, or for a fast tempo I'd be setting it to use click on 1. Watch how horn players tend to tap their feet especially on faster tempos. They will tap in half time, and if seated will alternate feet. Tap-first half of the bar, tap-second half of the bar. When tempo get real fast they just tap on one. You have to find comfort-zone for feeling the tempo.

Also mm's clicking on every beat don't help with developing your inter-clock, a mm only clicking on one mean your on you own for 3 beats and then checking back in on 1.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The DB-30 by boss is my favourite metronome. It cost me about 40 bucks, and rangers from 30-250 bpm. Plus, it can give all chromatic pitches, has a eighth inch jack out, volume control, and it will subdivide eighths the up beats only, triplets, swung triplets, sixteenths, the 'e' and 'ah' of sixteenths plus two clave rhythms. It will also play from 0 - 9/4 or subdivide eighths like 2+3 and it's inverse 3+2!) all the way up to 9+8/8. That's 17/8 folks.

Do I even need to mention that it comes with a belt clip?!?!
    Mine's been through the washer and it still works great! It's also powered by a hearing aid battery, so there's lots of life in it.

Ps: I also use a Seiko quartz metronome, which is awesome because it's loud as hell.
    I downloaded a metronome for my iPhone, but I've noticed that it doesn't keep time very accurately. After about 5 minutes, it seems to jump ahead, like its a tape loop.

I'd really like a tube powered metronome, my old teacher had one. He'd turn it on and say: let's wait for the drummer to get here....click..........click........click...click. ..click..click
    Last edited by Clamps; 11-24-2012 at 02:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Any metronome will do it - 150 bpm on 1 and 3. NO ONE uses a metronome at 300 bpm... or feels music that fast on 1 2 3 4.

User Info Menu

Thanks, folks! I am working on Pat Martino's song "Impressions" now, which is rated at 292 bpm.

You have given me a lot to consider. Especially about the foot tapping and actual usefulness of having clicks going that fast.

User Info Menu

There are a lot of good talk about the subject online... Hal Galper talks really well about "half-time feel" on his "Forward Motion" book although he is a little extreme to my taste.

Anyway I am aware about that version. If you try to tap at 292 you will rush or drag, feel stressed etc... If you try it at half-time, tapping 1 and 3, you will play much more relaxed and focused. It will improve your playing of fast times a lot!

User Info Menu

This online metronome can be set to almost any tempo you want:

FREE METRONOME ONLINE - Advanced Metronome

The "tempo trainer" section also has a useful tool that is a metronome that will count the number of bars you specify and then lay out for a number of specified bars, allowing you to check if you are holding the tempo steady on your own.

User Info Menu

SO in my normal world of marching band, drum and bugle corps(DCI) and indoor percussion the common metronome is the BOSS DB-90 or the DB-88 Dr.Beat. The DB 90 only goes to 250 and the older 88 went above 300.
    The Dr.Beat is pretty loud and has a TON of features.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Perhaps someone can help me out here: 300bpm is 5 beats per second so what would be the shortest note that one could be expected to play at that tempo? That is, how many notes per second?

User Info Menu

Not to ignore you Franky, but this thread raised several questions in my mind, in addition to your query. I wonder if experienced Jazz guitar players every experience having their tapping technique fall apart while playing - to the point of distraction.

Also, as you learn a song or Jazz line, especially fast ones, should you incorporate foot tapping into the learning process from the beginning at the slower speeds to ensure it is there for you at the higher speeds?

This foot-tapping seems to be an art in and of itself.

Bako and Farlow, I tried those online metronomes and l am now persuaded to follow the advice of jorge and some of the others, and tap my foot on 1 and 3 or on 2 and 4 (have not decided yet but the 1 and 3 feels better to me and more aggressive).

User Info Menu

It's sort of a big topic and not really part of this area of the forum but believe me: NO ONE taps 1 2 3 4 at 292. NO ONE.

You have to develop a way of tapping on different tempos: balladas, all mediums, fast and really fast. Half-time fell, Double-time feel, 1 and 3, 2 and 4, just 1, not tapping - try them all and use them all

In real life then things are a little different of course... drummers do lots of crazy stuff these days and you have to always be aware of 1 no matter what! Some double bass players will help you others will not

User Info Menu

As the immortal Chuck Berry says:

I got no kick against modern jazz
    Unless they try to play it too darn fast
    And lose the beauty of the melody
    Until it sounds just like a symphony
    That's why I go for that rock'n'roll music
    Any old way you choose it
    It's got a backbeat, you can't lose it

I believe a backbeat is tapping on the 2,4

User Info Menu

Not quite 290...but here is a NON JAZZ example of people definitely moving their feet at about 224ish:

Check out the feet...

'Mike
    P.S everyone in those videos are under 21 years of age....pretty impressive.

User Info Menu

One more:

These kids are playing big band licks that cats have a hard time playing sitting down let alone running around.

Another great Met to look for on ebay is the old Yamaha Click station. Great item.

'Mike

User Info Menu

why don't you just get any audio software and use their metronome. this way you can play it at any speed you desire

User Info Menu

tempo advance iphone app goes up to 800. I always just feel the half note for tempos above 180 or so. At very fast tempos sometimes I'll just feel/hear the whole note.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    This foot-tapping seems to be an art in and of itself.
    In my opinion, foot-tapping is a waste of time. You need to feel the pulse of the music in your chest/gut/head. Relegating it to your foot is foolish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    You really don't want one that fast, it would a useless stream of noise. Take a regular mm and set it to click in 2 & 4, or for a fast tempo I'd be setting it to use click on 1. Watch how horn players tend to tap their feet especially on faster tempos. They will tap in half time, and if seated will alternate feet. Tap-first half of the bar, tap-second half of the bar. When tempo get real fast they just tap on one. You have to find comfort-zone for feeling the tempo.

Also mm's clicking on every beat don't help with developing your inter-clock, a mm only clicking on one mean your on you own for 3 beats and then checking back in on 1.
    Gene Harris, one of my favorite piano players, who I had the privilege of seeing perform live at Seattle's Jazz Alley at least a dozen times, four in one week, always tapped out. Sure the beats movin' through me when I'm at the piano, but that doesn't stop me from feelin' that groove in my left heal on two and four.

Gene Harris - Rest In Peace my brother!

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 11-26-2012 at 01:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I am trying to find a metronome with an extremely high beat per minute (bpm) rate. I found one that goes up to 250 bpm. That's about the fastest I have seen.

Thanks.

(Here is the 250 bpm model: http://www.amazon.com/Korg-KDM-2-Adv...rds=metronomes )
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 02-27-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: title

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You shouldn't need that. Just set the metronome to 1/2 notes or quarter notes. In fact, it's better the fewer notes per beat that it's ticking. A more important stat is how slow does the metronome go. Many only go down to 40 and I find that it's really cool to play with the metronome at 30-35 and practice really grooving

User Info Menu

Tempo also goes down to 10 for that sort of thing Metronome with the Highest Beats per Minute?

User Info Menu

Hmmm...

Much food for thought here. I am having to reconsider how I use the metronome and also what metronome I do use.

I never thought to use my phone.

Is there nothing that a phone - with the right app- can't do?