The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    A more important stat is how slow does the metronome go. Many only go down to 40 and I find that it's really cool to play with the metronome at 30-35 and practice really grooving
    Couldn't agree more. Much more important is how you can handle slow tempos, such as 40-30 bpm. That's the secret to improve your tempo.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I remember speaking with Paul Bollenback about this. Paul is known for having really great time and a good swing feel. Paul used to practice with the metronome beating just once per measure. Then, he's use the metronome on a subdivision of one of the beats but once a measure. So for example, he would have it clicking on the & of 2 but once a measure (whole notes essentially). This is how he developed such great time.

User Info Menu

I also remember you sharing how you would practice with the metronome well under 40 bpm, and found out how difficult that could be. That was eye-opening.
    Last edited by Dirk; 07-25-2020 at 01:47 AM.

User Info Menu

250 bpm is faster than 4 bps....who would need a metronome faster than that???

User Info Menu

The two Pat Martino solos, Impressions and Lazy Bird, I am learning at rated at 292 and 268 beats per minute respectively.

What I have done is learn songs at their posted speed and then found that I become on dependent on hearing all 4 beats. So I started playing them at the rated speed but cutting the metronome tempo in half and sometimes by 1/4.

This seems to have really helped my issues with rhythm although as Jack and others mentioned above, there are many other ways to get a lot out of a metronome.

User Info Menu

For my own purposes, I am much more interested in how slow a metronome can go. I like to start my practice with a click at 10 or 15 bpm, one note a click.

Tempo is pretty good for this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    250 bpm is faster than 4 bps....who would need a metronome faster than that???
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. 400 bpmin is 6 bpsec. That's 6 Beats Per Second.

User Info Menu

I think Hal Galper in one of his videos (referenced a while back somewhere on jazzguitar.be) talks about tapping your foot in half-notes as promoting more elastic swing feel.

User Info Menu

Slow is what I want in a click too most often.

Agree with others upstream that having a S-L-O-W click rate really tests your time sense.

As in one click per measure say.......and you could do like Paul Bollenback did and call that click
    the "and" of 2 or 4 or whatever.

If you want to take this this idea way further you could call the click the downbeat of a 4 bar phrase
    or 8 bars or maybe a 12 bar phrase [as in a blues]

I stole this idea from Bruce Arnold's catalog of teaching material.

....He has CD's that he calls The Big Metronome ...where you get a count off and a click on every
    downbeat, then every 2nd bar, and then every 4 bars.
    He later goes on to a series called Doing Time ....the first is a blues form where you get a click every 2 bars
    with an accent to delineate the form ...on "one" of the next chorus.....He goes on up to 32 bar song form.
    ....Talk about thorough....does sort of have the effect on me that life is going through the hour glass at a
    scary rate and there are so many things to do.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Bruce Arnold would have used a sequencer to produce these tracks and anyone
    could make their own to measure once you have the seed of the idea.
    And it is a great idea!

Meanwhile, down here on the ground I have come up with a cheap and cheerful workaround
    to customize click tracks:

Given that most stand alone metronomes don't go much below 30, what I do is buy a
    unit that offers various numbers of clicks per bar as a function.
    Most often you get, 2,3,4 and 6 clicks per bar.
    So if I want one click every 4 bars @ 128 bpm I'd put the beat setting on 4/4, dial out the 2nd,3rd and 4th beats.
    Now you've got just the one click ...and if my primary school math is right...bingo....one click every 4 bars @ 128.

I have a Boss DB-90 Dr Beat metronome which allows for chaining 2 beat patterns so you could theoretically
    have it do an 8 or 12 bar pattern.

Neccessity is the mother of invention...

Hopefully this may inspire others to make up their own solutions to the Big Click.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray

Hopefully this may inspire others to make up their own solutions to the Big Click.

Zach Lapidus made a software metronome that does exactly that, and much much more. and it's free
    software |

User Info Menu

Thanks for that link pkirk .......that is a powerful piece of work.

Downloading it immediately.

Edit: ....oh oh ....Windows said they would not recommend opening this file.
    Have you experienced any weirdness computorially speaking
    when you opened it?
    Last edited by Moonray; 02-28-2016 at 01:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Pro Metronome is on IOS AppStore and Google Apps for Android. 10 - 500 bpm, simulated pendulum, you can select 1 of 4 sounds for each beat, , odd time signatures. And with the paid version - rhythm trainer, subdivision trainer, playlists, polyrhythms, practice mode, etc.

Really great tool and very easy to use. The pendulum is really nice to have when slowing it down.

User Info Menu

In Time Guru, you can set it to 8th notes or 16th notes so the potential is 300x4 = tempo 1200, fast enough?
    Btw I can understand the need to play with a fast click. I like taking it up to 168 on 2 & 4 and see (hear!) if I can follow just playing whole or half notes. And with quater notes I imagine the click being a frantic bass player whom I need to keep up with

User Info Menu

I just tried Time Guru at max tempo 300 in 16th notes. Sounds like a machine gun!

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    The two Pat Martino solos, Impressions and Lazy Bird, I am learning at rated at 292 and 268 beats per minute respectively.

What I have done is learn songs at their posted speed and then found that I become on dependent on hearing all 4 beats. So I started playing them at the rated speed but cutting the metronome tempo in half and sometimes by 1/4.

This seems to have really helped my issues with rhythm although as Jack and others mentioned above, there are many other ways to get a lot out of a metronome.
    I use this Metronome Beats app on my android. Goes to 300. Also, has options for number of clicks per beat or number of beats per bar. So, you can subdivide in various ways , and also, have one click per bar etc., without having to do the "tempo math" or even adjust your tempo.

Metronome with the Highest Beats per Minute?-uploadfromtaptalk1456661753331-jpg

User Info Menu

Ben Monder = 20bpm

User Info Menu

try keeping time at 1 bpm, then you are a real musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Metronome with the Highest Beats per Minute?-uploadfromtaptalk1456661753331-jpg
    Matt, this thing is awesome!!

Now my phone is my metronome!

This is better alternative for me than going online and using the one of the online apps since I have phone plan that does not allow a lot of data download without paying through the nose.

I am alternating playing with all four beats, playing with the beats at half tempo, and even at quarter tempo. This has been fun!

User Info Menu

Idk. I can't get no satisfaction from all of my various iPhone or computer metronomes. I have 6 on my phone and five on my Mac. I never use them. I have a cheap plastic little box that takes a 9v battery. That's the one i use.

User Info Menu

Check this out:
    The Metronome by Soundbrenner by Soundbrenner Limited
    https://appsto.re/us/XxCH-.i

free and full feature metronome. And you don't need their wrist device for it to work, although it is a nice gadget

User Info Menu

Great. Yet another metronome. Why do you recommended this one?

User Info Menu

For it's simple interface, support for set list, and free of charge. Support both iOS and android.

User Info Menu

Henry have you checked Time Guru? Has some really nice functions, namely "random mute".

User Info Menu

I've been using a Boss DB-66 for decades. Quarter Notes 250, if you set it to 16th notes you can get 250 x 4 BPM. This should be enough i hope ;-)