The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Hello,

I am wanting to record some guitar via my PC and I've been using my POD 2 and gaming headset for this in the past, the result was okay. My headset has since died and I have been looking into monitors and a quality audio interface such as the M-audio Fasttrack Pro and the Alesis iO4. But I was thinking... maybe I could hook up my stereo system's speakers to my computer for better sound, please let me know if this is a really bad idea to begin with.

So I have been checking out the connection between the stereo and my speakers, and it looks like this : (Its this system) I could not figure out the name of this type of connection so here is a picture of a similar system found on google images:

The cable enters the main stereo piece with a shortly stripped cable coming out of the speaker and going into the black/red button part that is attached to the main stereo player system thing.

Does anyone know what kind of adapter I would need to connect these stripped cables from my speakers to my laptop? Preferbly something that goes to usb... I hope my post is clear enough, I know it is somewhat chaotic.

Thanks,

Jesse.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For good mixing results you need proper reference monitors. But you will be able to hear your audio and play with those speakers, and they should be better than the laptop speakers.

The picture looks like those are speaker wires that are going from a stereo amplifier to a speaker.

Your laptop will not amplify the sound for the needs of those speakers.

Does your stereo have rca auxiliary inputs or tape inputs or phono inputs?

Or even better, does your stereo have a mini jack mp3 input?

Those are the places to try to plug in your laptop. From the speaker/headphone out of your laptop to any of those inputs. The mp3 input is the no brainer, the others may or may not work depending on whether they match up properly with the output from the laptop.

User Info Menu

Thank's for the fast response!

I checked the back, and there are only 2 antenna/in-outputs, those 4 inputs for the speakers as they are now connected, and one headphone input at the front.

I believe the stereo downstairs DOES have some of the options you mentioned... let's see if my mom gets mad.... just kidding! Let me check, haha! - Checked, and it has the same connection, too bad!

-----------

My birthday is coming up, and with some money saved I will be able to get an audio interface and maybe even two proper monitors.

I've done some research and there are LOADS within the 200$ dollar budget per monitor and interface, such as the M-audio Fasttrack pro - Alesis iO4 - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Do you, or anyone else, have any recommondations within this 200$ budget per item, and any experiences with different brands to share? If so, please let me know! If it is of any help, I use windows 7, and will record nothing more than guitar/keyboard parts, for Jazz, blues, rock, and some electronic stuff.
    Last edited by Jessesmit; 05-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I actually bought an m-audio fast track pro a couple of weeks ago. It was the MusiciansFriend stupid deal of the day a while back, $99.

I'll try to get around to setting it up in a few days to see how it goes. I'll post back here and let you know what I experience.

On a $200 budget, you might want to skip the monitors for now and just use headphones. Your going to need headphones as part of your recording set up anyways. You use headphones when recording with a mic; to avoid any 'bleed' you don't run your speakers while recording with a mic.

If I was you'd I'd save up for monitors and plan on spending more on those. They should probably be the most expensive part of your entire set up.

I'm no expert, but I use and am happy with these:

Alesis Monitor 1 Active MKII Powered Monitors | Musician's Friend
    Last edited by fep; 05-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Those are two for 300$ or seperately?? I meant 200$ per monitor, so those would probably be affordable for me if they are two for 300. Added, I am thinking in Euros,

User Info Menu

Okay, I was thinking your budget was $200 for your interface, mic, cables and monitors.

If it's $200 per monitor then you are in good shape. Yes that is the price for a pair. (I actually have the passive ones and a separate Alesis amplifier.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Okay, I was thinking your budget was $200 for your interface, mic, cables and monitors.

If it's $200 per monitor then you are in good shape. Yes that is the price for a pair. (I actually have the passive ones and a separate Alesis amplifier.)
    Total budget would be around $500 I think, depending on how long I save up of course.

User Info Menu

Ive got an i5 2.4Ghz 2.4Ghz Processor with 6GB of ram, will this be an issue with latency etc?

User Info Menu

Your computer should be fine.

Latency isn't much of an issue these days and you should be able to do 'zero latency' monitoring with most interfaces when you're recording.

Some folks get their mind set that they want less than 2ms of latency or some such thing. 2ms! That's how long it takes sound to travel about two feet, about the distance from your guitar to your ear.

User Info Menu

That's crazy, I can't afford that kind of obsession!

I think I've got the posibilty of getting a M-audio fasttrack pro (used, but good as new, bought this month) for 100 euros, should I do it?
    Last edited by Jessesmit; 05-24-2012 at 04:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jessesmit
    That's crazy, I can't afford that kind of obsession!

I think I've got the posibilty of getting a M-audio fasttrack pro (used, but good as new, bought this month) for 100 euros, should I do it?
    100 euros?

Two questions.

1. Is that a good price? You can do some google searching and also check on ebay or other sites like it to see if it's a good price.

2. Is it a good product and will it fit your needs? You can look for some online reviews. I think it's a good product as I have been happy with m-audio in the past.

Once I set it up I can tell you more. I opened it and it didn't come with a usb cable. First I have to track down a cable.

User Info Menu

Money gets me crazy... I could also buy an archtop guitar! ARGH!

User Info Menu

I use a regular stereo system for recording monitors; both at home and at the school where I work. Both stereos were bought used, for cheap. But they're good quality; Yamaha and Sansui components.

Is it the same as using high end, flat response monitors? Nope.

Is it a pretty good reference, to give me a good idea of what I've recorded? Hell yeah!

I had an m-audio interface that totally sucked. Audiophile USB. Complained about it over at the JBGW, and somebody said m-audio is known for unreliable drivers.

I use an Echo audiofire 4 now. Works fine.

Just my 2 cents.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your reply bil!

I am hearing more and more from people having trouble with some M-audio stuff, its so hard to compare all the brands and their functions.

User Info Menu

Thinking about two of these + an audio interface KRK RP8G2 Rokit G2 Active Monitor at zZounds Or a set of Samson Resolv 65A... Im going to take some cds to the store soon and try some out!
    Last edited by Jessesmit; 05-24-2012 at 06:25 PM.

User Info Menu

... maybe I could hook up my stereo system's speakers to my computer for better sound...
    If you don't mind setting up your computer besides your stereo, just take the signal out from the headphones jack (almost always a mini jack) on your computer and into the "line in" or "tape in" on your stereo (more variable, often RCA). That just takes a cable with the right jack in each end (or an adaptor) - wastly cheaper than two speakers. If you want to have the computer farther away from the stereo, just buy a longer cable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    If you don't mind setting up your computer besides your stereo, just take the signal out from the headphones jack (almost always a mini jack) on your computer and into the "line in" or "tape in" on your stereo (more variable, often RCA). That just takes a cable with the right jack in each end (or an adaptor) - wastly cheaper than two speakers. If you want to have the computer farther away from the stereo, just buy a longer cable.
    I'm not sure how that is any different than what was discussed in post #2 and #3.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how that is any different than what was discussed in post #2 and #3.
    Neither do I! And besides that, I don t have that option.

I am getting a scarlett, with either two KRK RP6 G2s, or the KRK RP8 G2 s I think! Too bad I am going to need alot of extra money for wiring probably.
    Last edited by Jessesmit; 05-25-2012 at 04:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your reply bil!

I am hearing more and more from people having trouble with some M-audio stuff, its so hard to compare all the brands and their functions.

I am using an m-audio fast track. My net conclusion is: when it is working every thing is wonderful. Unfortunatel, they do seem to have a lot pf problems with their drivers. I get a lot of drop-outs and often the computer doesn't recognize my m-audio device and I have to reload the driver to fix it.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 05-26-2012 at 12:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Thats very unfortunate, I have decided on the Focusrite Scarlett i2i due to its stable use, good pre-amps and great reviews. Thanks for your reply!

User Info Menu

You are right. Apologize for "beating a dead horse".

User Info Menu

SO!
    Im going to test out some monitors tomorrow, mainly the KRK 5, 6 and 8.

Ive got a few cds that I want to take with me, but I am wondering if its possible to test monitors with tracks on youtube.... are they the same quality as a cd track if its an exact rip? I am asking this because I dont have cd's of all the music I'd like to hear on the monitors.

I have cd's of these albums, and this are some songs of those cd's that I am going to take with me, just to give you an idea of what I will be doing:

---------------

And these I don't have on CD, but would love to hear them over the monitors...

Let me know if you think I am doing something horribly wrong by taking these tunes/cd's with me to test the monitors.

User Info Menu

Youtube sound quality is not nearly as good as your cds. I think you should have one cd you are very familiar with and has high quality sound and use that as your reference. Play it directly from the cd or a wave (not a mp3 or some other compressed) file from a computer.

I use Gaucho from Steely Dan as I really like the sound quality on that one.

Also, when you get into mixing it's great idea to A - B your mix with a CD you like in the same style that you are going after.

User Info Menu

Went to the store with my favourite cd's and the plan is finished!

My room will need a new design, moving furniture around... but that was going to happen anyway because I just found out I have been sleeping in the coffin position for years.... doesn't sound very good right?

I will get the KRK RP6, stands, and a slider for infront of my window blinds. I have a big window behind where the monitors are supposed to go. And I will probably make some acoustic-pads of my own to hang on the wall..... excited! Will take some time though, and will post a picture of it when it's done.

User Info Menu

Before you do any acoustic treatment, I strongly recommend you read this starting at post #17:

Acoustical Science/Philosophy Showdown - Cockos Confederated Forums

There is a lot of good advice from Yep. I use Reaper recording software and one of the reasons is how good the forum is and in particular how good of a writer and how knowledgeable Yep is.
    Last edited by fep; 05-30-2012 at 11:33 AM.