The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17
    Do any of you folks play by plugging your guitar into an iPad and use the Mac
    program/app Garage Band? What equipment does one need to accomplish that?

Classicplayer

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use the 'Apogee jam' to plug guitar into my ipad. The sound quality is very good. I believe the jam is an analog to digital converter, so the conversion happens before it even gets to the ipad. The Apogee jam is around $100, but well worth the expense if you already have the pad and GB.

I also have an i-rig, I think it's called. If you come by the house, I'll give it to you. At three times the price I much prefer the Apogee jam.

I have no connection with the Apogee people. I paid full price for the product, plus shipping to the wilds of Alaska.

User Info Menu

I completely agree with Whirly's comments above. I use the Apogee jam combined with GarageBand with my Mac, iPhone and iPad.GarageBand is free with Macs and the GarageBand app is only $4.99 and it can be download to use on the iPhone and iPad.

It's an easy decision... Amazon.com: Apogee JAM Studio Quality Guitar Input for iPad, iPhone and Mac: Electronics

The Apogee Jam comes with the cable to connect to the MAC and a cable to connect to an iPad/iPhone so not other cables (other than a guitar cable) are needed.
    Last edited by Steve Z; 05-02-2012 at 07:52 PM.

User Info Menu

iRig is noisy and weird. Apogee makes good stuff. I'd like to get one for my macbook pro (no iPad for me until this $235 replacement hard drive wears out). I had a loaner iPad for a while and put the irig app on it,but the 1/8" mini jack is output only, I think.

User Info Menu

all of the above. in IRigs defense I will say the amps (amplitube) are nice but just to noisy going through the iRig adaptor

Use the apogee jam with either Garageband or JamUp Lite (actually I have pro but would have been happy with lite, which is free).

There are a couple of other threads here that suggest cool apps for idevices.

User Info Menu

I haven't had an issue with noise using the iRig. I like to use it with the free Amplitube Fender app. I haven't tried recording with it though; I just use it to play along with iReal b.

User Info Menu

I have both the iRig and the Ampkit link. Both of these use the analog input on the headphone jack and consequently record a reduced frequency range. I havent tried the apogee interface but I understand it uses the digital input in the 30 pin connector, so it theoretically records the full frequency range. This is not really that important for guitar recording though, and LEAST of all considering it's a telephone were talking about here. Any of these, it should be mentioned, work with any audio recording software on any iOS dvice, so you can pick and choose as you please.

I should mention that there is a small but noticeable latency when using both ampkit and guitar rig on any iOS device. It might not bother everyone, but if you are picky about latency with digital recording, it's something that you WILL notice.

The choice of modeling software and amps, cabs, mics, etc, is pretty good, again considering ITS A FREAKING TELEPHONE IN YOUR POCKET!

Just my 2 cents,

User Info Menu

I have the IPAD and use it primarily to replace my fake books. I was disappointed with the irig stuff along with Irealbook. It does not begin to compare with BIAB with realtracks.

wiz

User Info Menu

I've used a Lexicon Lambda audio interface to plug into my Mac Desktop. Given that it uses a USB connection, I assume that it would work with an iPad as well. It very clean and has XLR as well as guitar inputs. I've stuck a Baggs Para DI ahead of it as a preamp for an acoustic passive pickup as well.

Ken

User Info Menu

IME the irig is a bit noisy on overdrive settings but fine with clean. the best i believe is the digital input rather than the headphone input. i use peavey's software which is ok.

here is how the peavey ampkit sounds

and all this was recorded with garageband on ipad http://soundcloud.com/zygomatics/mor...eband-noodling
    Last edited by tele jazz; 05-03-2012 at 09:20 AM.

I like what you did with the Peavey software. Nice tone on that ballad. Tell me the name of that tune.

Classicplayer

User Info Menu

I picked up the iRiffPort last month to use with my iPhone - it was a bit pricy at $100 but it actually sounds quite good and better than any of the headphone jacks on any amp I've ever tried. I use it for practicing when I have downtime or know I will be stuck somewhere with time to kill. I can use it in a coffee shop with my jazztele such that nobody can hear me, and I can't hear them. The related app is just a few bucks. A worthwhile practice tool if you think you will practice out of the house every few weeks.
    Last edited by coolvinny; 05-03-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: it works with the iPad or iPhone

User Info Menu

I am in the process of getting into the iPad/AmpDock/Alto TS112a.

Software wise, I'm trying the JamUp app first as well as the AmpKit.

For bass, I'm looking at the PocketGK.

User Info Menu

I agree that all of these apps (Amplitube e.t.c.) are kind of noisy - especially in drive or crunchy mode - waiting for better stuff on i-pad

User Info Menu

JamUp has a bass expansion coming out. I've owned a number of the amps they modeled so i am looking forward to hearing those.

User Info Menu

I agree that all of these apps (Amplitube e.t.c.) are kind of noisy - especially in drive or crunchy mode - waiting for better stuff on i-pad
    you are right.. sound quality is poor. I have the irig; sounds noisy

User Info Menu

It's the latency that gets me with the headphone input stuff. That and the lack of clarity. I'd like to try the Apogee stuff. I have the iRig but really don't like it.

Bob