The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Wizard has recently started using Reaper. We've been writing to each other a little bit about it. I decided to do a couple of videos on how I use BIAB with Reaper. You probably want to view this in full screen mode and in HD, go view it at youtube and select full screen and HD.

Edit: I redid the video, to make some terminology corrections (I misspoke), and added a little bit I wanted to mention.
    Last edited by fep; 04-27-2012 at 10:40 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks! I look forward to veiwing, as I am a new Reaper user. Interaktivity is extremely interesting. 0zoro

Nuff Said Guest
    I have a simple method.

I save the BIAB files as wave files, one for each track and then import them into any multitrack studio I'm using.

Nuff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said
    I have a simple method.

I save the BIAB files as wave files, one for each track and then import them into any multitrack studio I'm using.

Nuff
    That's what I do too.

Wiz mentioned that he was on a steep learning curve. I want to show him some basic functionality in Reaper to give him a short cut to be up and running. I posted it here as I thought there might be someone else that wanted to check it out.

User Info Menu

Note, I redid the video and replaced the old one. The new video is now at pots #1 of this thread.

User Info Menu

Here's the second video, some basic mixing functions in Reaper.

Edit, during one part of the video I said "mute" several times when I meant "pan". It's funny how the brain works, or in my case, doesn't work.

Last edited by fep; 04-27-2012 at 08:50 PM.

User Info Menu

There is one last think I wanted to show Wiz. Setting up a project template will save tons of time on your future projects. I set one up from the tune I've been working on:

User Info Menu

Woof! Thanks for the Master Class, Fep! I saw stuff I've been struggling to figure out for some time; Reaper tutorials are never this good. I'll be spending a lot of time with these videos. Thank you for your time on this.

User Info Menu

Hi ah.clem,

I'm glad you found that useful.

Reaper does so much and you can often achieve a certain objective a number of different ways. It can make it pretty complicated to learn. On the other hand, once you learn a handful of basic functions that you use often, it becomes really easy to use.

Cheers,

Frank
    Last edited by fep; 05-01-2012 at 11:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Frank (fep). I want to thank you again for the Reaper tutorials. I will be referring to them often and they are indeed much better than the Reaper videos. I especially like the last one on using a template. Most of the things I want to record will fit perfectly with the template concept. I have a lot to learn but you have made it much easier for me and saved me precious time. Thank you so much for your help, your patience and your great attitude as a teacher.

wiz

User Info Menu

Fep, I wanted to take a pause in watching the tutorials to tell you how much I appreciate them. Im half way through the second and it beats anything Ive seen thus far. I really appreciate you taking your time to do them. 0zoro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Hi Frank (fep). I want to thank you again for the Reaper tutorials. I will be referring to them often and they are indeed much better than the Reaper videos. I especially like the last one on using a template. Most of the things I want to record will fit perfectly with the template concept. I have a lot to learn but you have made it much easier for me and saved me precious time. Thank you so much for your help, your patience and your great attitude as a teacher.

wiz
    Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Fep, I wanted to take a pause in watching the tutorials to tell you how much I appreciate them. Im half way through the second and it beats anything Ive seen thus far. I really appreciate you taking your time to do them. 0zoro
    Cool guys, I'm glad these were useful for you. If you have any questions, you know were to ask.

User Info Menu

$60 (US) for this software is an amazing deal. I've been using it with a Mackie Onyx 820i (nice once you finally get it working). Incredible the tools we have available. Enjoyed the videos.

User Info Menu

Great video. The steps are similar to exporting files to Logic Studio.

User Info Menu

Hey fep (Frank), this video is my first attempt at making something to go on youtube.

1) I took a BIAB file and rendered it into 3 wave files .(bass, drums and piano).
    2) I put those files into Reaper and recorded a guitar file (improvisation).
    3) I rendered the reaper output (a wave file)
    4) I converted the wave file to mp3
    5) I used the new windows 7 movie maker to add some pics (to create a video) and loaded the mp3 file.
    6) I published a movie and the result is the link below.

https://www.box.com/s/82346a67bec27f26e5f3

As you can see I still have a pretty steep learning curve to really know how to use digital recording techniques, but this is progress.

thanks again Frank

wiz

User Info Menu

Great stuff... Ive recorded over backing tracks in Reaper before, but never using BIAB. Will start documenting my practise sessions and improvs over standards and progressions , thanks! Listening to your playing as I am typing this Wizard, it's very soothing. Now, I need to get me a usb-line in adapter so I can hook up my POD 2, and some studio monitors or headphones!

User Info Menu

Hey fep (Frank), this video is my first attempt at making something to go on youtube.

1) I took a BIAB file and rendered it into 3 wave files .(bass, drums and piano).
    2) I put those files into Reaper and recorded a guitar file (improvisation).
    3) I rendered the reaper output (a wave file)
    4) I converted the wave file to mp3
    5) I used the new windows 7 movie maker to add some pics (to create a video) and loaded the mp3 file.
    6) I published a movie and the result is the link below.

https://www.box.com/s/82346a67bec27f26e5f3

As you can see I still have a pretty steep learning curve to really know how to use digital recording techniques, but this is progress.

thanks again Frank

wiz
    Great Wiz.

I enjoyed listening and seeing your shots, I know you a bit better now. Nice playing.

You've learned quite a bit. I'd say your next step is to start learning how to add effects.

Cheers,

Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Great Wiz.

I enjoyed listening and seeing your shots, I know you a bit better now. Nice playing.

You've learned quite a bit. I'd say your next step is to start learning how to add effects.

Cheers,

Frank
    thanks Frank, I am taking on some special effect stuff now. Not sure what I need yet.

wiz

User Info Menu

thanks Frank, I am taking on some special effect stuff now. Not sure what I need yet.

wiz
    I'm listening to the track right now. It really sounds good as is. Good balance, it all sounds real clean. I don't think you need to do a thing to it.

Love the tone of your guitar. I think I hear a little reverb? I think I'm hearing some reverb on the drums. I'm thinking if so, that came from BIAB.

But if you're like me and like to experiment with stuff, then:

I'd suggest checking out my effects video. You could add eq to every track and eliminate some of the bottom and high end. The stuff that is just rumble and hiss. That's a good practice as that all can add up as you add more and more tracks. You take enough out to where you can't hear that it's changing the sound. You can toggle it on and off to make sure.

The next items of effect would be using a little compression. And adding some reverb and perhaps a tiny bit of echo. The echo and reverb could be especially nice on the vocals.

User Info Menu

really a great and useful thread as I'm just starting to use Reaper for home recording

Thanks to all of you who took the time to document and post their own experiences.

I've been using Ableton Live for a long while, since 2007 or so, when I restarted to play the guitar, but I was getting more and more dissatisfied from it, while being a bit afraid of going again along the learning road of a new tool, but after a couple of days I already think that Reaper is far superior and far easier to use, provided one first takes the time to experiment and run simple tests.

Already experimented to use Addictive Drums and BIAB to prepare backing tracks, the recording is my next step forward.

I'm sure your posts will be very helpful during the forthcoming weeks.

User Info Menu

I started using Reaper a couple of weeks ago, I think it is great. I enjoyed downloading some different ‘themes’ and getting the layout to look how I like it. (Funny thing is I am pretty sure I am using the same theme as Fep did in his video, it certainly looks the same, with the lighter-coloured track and mixer panels).

Exporting BIAB as separate WAVs and inserting them into Reaper is a doddle. One thing to note (I did not realise this at first), is that the individual BIAB WAV tracks do not have any reverb on them when exported, I guess this is because they assume you will import them to your DAW and add effects there. So you may want to add a bit of reverb to the drums and piano when they are in Reaper. Actually I think this produces a better sound than using the BIAB reverb.

You can also edit the tracks a bit in Reaper, e.g. remove the occasional clunky BIAB piano chord, or lower the volume on a too-loud segment (I used to do this in Audacity sometimes).

The way I do it is to split the track either side of the offending segment, then you just drag down the top of the waveform inside the segment, either to zero or to the lower volume needed. You can even right click on the segment, select Properties, then apply a pitch change to a note or chord.

I’m still discovering things like this!

User Info Menu

The theme I am using is Commala 5 Light. I like the little customisations you can do, e.g. giving my guitar track a nice blue fader control.

There are youtube videos explaining all this stuff, it's the quickest way to find out how to do things.

BIAB with Reaper-screenshot-2-jpg

User Info Menu

I downloaded the trial version of Reaper. Frank (fep) is helping me with this as he has a lot of experience with it whereas I have an abundance of anxiety about using it. ;o)

Always working with BIAB.

My goal is to record my own songs this way. (Later, perhaps arrangements of standards I like to play and sing.)

When I was younger, I recorded my own songs using (first) a Tascam Portastudio and (later) a Tascam 424. (These were 4-track cassette recorders.) Lot of fun, lot of hiss, but I don't regret the hours I spent that way. However, now I would like things without the hiss, with better drum sounds, and no deterioration of the result. (I have a shoebox of cassettes of mine but no player to play them on and, frankly, I'd fear them being chewed up if I got a new cassette player.) So I like what DAWs (such as Reaper) offer, and BIAB too, though my learning curve is steep.

User Info Menu

Hey, Mark. My PortaStudio 414 is about 30 years old, and I still use it. More computer recording/processing the last 10 years, but I still rely on the Tascam for sounds I can't get from digital. Lately, I've been playing around with it making "LoFi" stuff. I run the output into a Focusrite USB interface mixer. My 14 year old grandson had never seen anything like it and was shocked at how crappy the half speed chrome master tape sounded. Funny, when I first got it I felt like I was living in the future!

Here's a pretty beat up, well used blast from the past for you:
    BIAB with Reaper-my-tascam-424-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    Hey, Mark. My PortaStudio 414 is about 30 years old, and I still use it. More computer recording/processing the last 10 years, but I still rely on the Tascam for sounds I can't get from digital. Lately, I've been playing around with it making "LoFi" stuff. I run the output into a Focusrite USB interface mixer. My 14 year old grandson had never seen anything like it and was shocked at how crappy the half speed chrome master tape sounded. Funny, when I first got it I felt like I was living in the future!

Here's a pretty beat up, well used blast from the past for you:
    BIAB with Reaper-my-tascam-424-jpg
    Wow, that looks familiar! As the song says, "Thanks for the Memory."
    I lost mine about 20 years ago.
    It was great for doing something fast. Sometimes I would use a drum machine (w a footswitch), a mic and a guitar and make up songs on the fly. Most were crap. But now and then a line here or a lick there would be worth keeping. I sometimes miss messing around like that.

But with BIAB and Reaper I appreciate that the rhythm is both A) locked in and B) can be edited. That's pretty great.

Here's what mine looked like. (This isn't mine, it's a 'vintage' one for sale somewhere. Mine looked like this.)

BIAB with Reaper-tascam-424-jpg