The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Okay. So you basically have the hardware and are looking more at software/ editing options?
    Exactly, thank you.

I mainly plan to use the videos to share with friends, in forums or my teacher so I'm not going for anything fancy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Thanks for that, Lawson. So Screenflow will record two audio channels at once? I used to use that application and forgot all about it.
    Yes it does. Actually I think it will record more, but I've never tried more than two.

Then you can separate the tracks if you want to, apply effects to one, etc. I usually just do very light post-processing of music in Screenflow. A touch of reverb, pan guitar to center, done.

Working solo, I have also used the direct amp for one channel and mic'd the guitar for the other, but I like electric, so I didn't continue that experiment.

User Info Menu

Any other recommendations for Mac? Screenflow looks promising, but it's $99 and much more than I need. I'd be fine with editing in my other software.

The problem for Mac users is that you have limited recording options. 1) Quicktime, 2) iMovie, 3) Photobooth.

The problem with Quicktime (1) is that it can only receive one source of audio input.

The problem with iMovie (2) is that it's not compatible with external HD cameras.

The problem with Photobooth (3) is that it doesn't save high resolution video.

For now I've been using Photobooth, but what else exists to record video and audio in HD on Mac? All my videos are low res and it's frustrating. Another solution would be to use Quicktime and record audio through my DAW, but I don't want to have to worry about synchronizing.

User Info Menu

Like the poster who resurrected this thread I'm also interested in a PC based solution. Like "blille" I also have pretty good Windows PC setup as well as a Surface Pro 4 tablet both using Windows 10 so I'm interested in what other Windows users use for easy video production.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Any other recommendations for Mac? Screenflow looks promising, but it's $99 and much more than I need. I'd be fine with editing in my other software.

The problem for Mac users is that you have limited recording options. 1) Quicktime, 2) iMovie, 3) Photobooth.

The problem with Quicktime (1) is that it can only receive one source of audio input.

The problem with iMovie (2) is that it's not compatible with external HD cameras.

The problem with Photobooth (3) is that it doesn't save high resolution video.

For now I've been using Photobooth, but what else exists to record video and audio in HD on Mac? All my videos are low res and it's frustrating. Another solution would be to use Quicktime and record audio through my DAW, but I don't want to have to worry about synchronizing.
    I had some success this morning, but it's not incredibly straight forward and likely not worth the effort. My goal was to capture two channels of audio while recording video. The first channel is a mic for my voice, connected to my Mac using a Firewire audio interface. The second channel is the output of a Boss Katana sent to my computer over the Katana's USB audio interface. In order to capture audio from both interfaces, I had to create an aggregate device using OS X's Audio MIDI Setup app. This gave me 6 input channels: 2 channels from the Firewire interface and 4 channels from the Katana.

I tried four apps: Quicktime Player 10.4, Quicktime 7, Photo Booth, and iMovie. Although I had the system audio input configured to use the aggregate device, neither Photo Booth nor iMovie captured audio from the Katana's USB input channels.

Both Quicktime Players, on the other hand, captured audio from both the mic and the Katana. I had to do some processing in Logic to even out the Logic. It works, but it is a pain in the butt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I had some success this morning, but it's not incredibly straight forward and likely not worth the effort. My goal was to capture two channels of audio while recording video. The first channel is a mic for my voice, connected to my Mac using a Firewire audio interface. The second channel is the output of a Boss Katana sent to my computer over the Katana's USB audio interface. In order to capture audio from both interfaces, I had to create an aggregate device using OS X's Audio MIDI Setup app. This gave me 6 input channels: 2 channels from the Firewire interface and 4 channels from the Katana.

I tried four apps: Quicktime Player 10.4, Quicktime 7, Photo Booth, and iMovie. Although I had the system audio input configured to use the aggregate device, neither Photo Booth nor iMovie captured audio from the Katana's USB input channels.

Both Quicktime Players, on the other hand, captured audio from both the mic and the Katana. I had to do some processing in Logic to even out the Logic. It works, but it is a pain in the butt.
    thank you for sharing! I'll have to try it out.

User Info Menu

I would say in 2017 a PC is no longer a must for the recording process. The camera could be a quality smartphone, which many people already have. Troy Grady's series on picking was largely filmed with an iPhone. The microphone on smartphones is often still lacking, but you could append an external mike from Zoom, Shure and the like ($60-100). I bought a Shure Motiv for my wife's iPhone who's getting into recording videos, it records perfect audio. I used to have a Zoom H4n, now have just the H1 model, frankly the sound quality of those is incredible compared to what you could get for that price some years ago, and would be more than adequate for YouTube. Zoom also released a device not long ago that seems targeted to people posting content on YouTube, doing high quality audio and video all at once for around $150 IIRC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    I would say in 2017 a PC is no longer a must for the recording process. The camera could be a quality smartphone, which many people already have. Troy Grady's series on picking was largely filmed with an iPhone. The microphone on smartphones is often still lacking, but you could append an external mike from Zoom, Shure and the like ($60-100). I bought a Shure Motiv for my wife's iPhone who's getting into recording videos, it records perfect audio. I used to have a Zoom H4n, now have just the H1 model, frankly the sound quality of those is incredible compared to what you could get for that price some years ago, and would be more than adequate for YouTube. Zoom also released a device not long ago that seems targeted to people posting content on YouTube, doing high quality audio and video all at once for around $150 IIRC.
    There's nothing wrong with the internal mic on cell phones other than that they're omni-directional. Something like that Shure is great.
    It can do raw mid-side which takes some post processing but it's not hard and worth the effort.