The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bbcoz
    All the advice I've ever read and taken seriously involves placing your mic of choice in front of your guitar while monitoring the mic signal on headphones.
    HELP ME, SOMEBODY, OH GOD.

This is the main reason I joined this forum almost a year ago. It seems such a simple thing, doesn't it? Listening to your guitar (monitoring) through headphones!!!! It's all I'm trying to do with this gadgetry that was everywhere when I began playing guitar again after many years of not playing.

I also want to be able to record myself and listen back, of course. But even when NOT recording, I want to monitor myself - doing this helps me a SO much. Used to do this with a cassette deck, a stereo mic from Radio Shack, and some headphones.

I bought an M-Audio PC interface, a very common one I was told. Does it have phantom power? Also bought an M-Audio XLR mic, allegedly a condenser mic, though only $18 (used, eBay.)

Am I on the right track? I installed Audacity. I can monitor an electric guitar, but the volume is a bit weak. This is plugged in the interface via 1/4" plug. The XLR mic doesn't seem to do anything, though -- and I play acoustic guitar. Need a microphone! (I have copies of Cubase, Cakewalk, some others, but they seem unnecessarily huge just for this...)

If any of you guys wanna help, I'll appreciate the heck out of it. Reply here, PM me for my email, whatever. I really want to get this set up and going.

kj

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Which specific mic and interface, and is it OS X or windows? I'll see if I can help once I know exactly what we're talking about...

-s

User Info Menu

Hey Scott Wilson, that message #26 was spot on. In any acoustic recording, the most important piece of 'gear' is the room, not the mic. Maybe first find the best-sounding room available by walking around playing and listening. Then find the sweetest sounding position and direction to face, again just using ears. After that, consider what mic to use and how to place it. As the computer guys say, GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).

User Info Menu

Hi Strumcat & CO.

i have one of those and it has never let me down
    DPA Microphones :: Products

as it says easy on the instrument.

Cooledit

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with a sm 58 good and I have to disagree with the cheap ribbon mics, for just over 100 I bought a ribbon mic DIY kit and made my own and it sounds good. Just had a look at the site I bought it off and they have uped the price to 199, a good project for the DIY fiends.
    Austin DIY Ribbon Microphone Kits - Austin Microphones