The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 64 of 64

User Info Menu

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One thing to keep in mind is that just because the cover photo shows Joe playing an ES175, does not mean that photo was taken at the Virtuoso recording session. It could have been taken on any other day or session and put in a file drawer for use at a later date. It happens with advertising all the time. So, it could very well be that the photo was exactly what the album designer wanted and decided to use it.

We likely will never know unless session notes or photos that are confirmed to be taken at the session turn up at some point.

John Galich

User Info Menu

It’s a pity I didn’t know about this whole ‘Virtuoso controversy’ when I had a drink with Joe Pass in the bar at Ronnie Scott’s in the early 1980s - I would have asked him all about it!

I hadn’t actually heard the album at that point, at that time I think I only had the ‘Catch Me’ record and Virtuoso 2. (Virtuoso 2 is just straight electric guitar throughout).

User Info Menu

I have read that Virtuoso 1-3 were recorded at the same time, released over time. If that is the case, then clearly the amp was working for a part of the session.

User Info Menu

Hi guys, here’s something to put in the mix . In 1972 I took a lesson with Joe at his home in Northridge. He showed and let me play a D’Aquisto Excel ( not the laminate that he acquired later) that Jimmy had recently made for him . Virtuoso was recorded in August of 73’. Not saying he played it on Virtuoso but it was available to him at that time. Can’t figure out how to upload a picture but the original volume of Joe Pass chord solos published by Gwyn in 71’ shows him holding the guitar on the cover.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I have read that Virtuoso 1-3 were recorded at the same time, released over time. If that is the case, then clearly the amp was working for a part of the session.
    If Wikipedia is correct, it says Virtuoso and Virtuoso 2 were recorded 3 years apart, at different studios in L.A.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dag
    Hi guys, here’s something to put in the mix . In 1972 I took a lesson with Joe at his home in Northridge. He showed and let me play a D’Aquisto Excel ( not the laminate that he acquired later) that Jimmy had recently made for him . Virtuoso was recorded in August of 73’. Not saying he played it on Virtuoso but it was available to him at that time. Can’t figure out how to upload a picture but the original volume of Joe Pass chord solos published by Gwyn in 71’ shows him holding the guitar on the cover.
    I suspect we are never going to know the answer to this conundrum. The thing that inclines me towards the Gibson 175 is just the sound, on the Virtuoso record it has this sort of thin, wiry sound, with an odd hint of distortion in the chords, as if something somewhere in the guitar is vibrating or rattling a bit. Exactly what my 175 sounds like unplugged (as in the clip I posted earlier in the thread). It really isn’t that attractive a sound, in my opinion.

I don’t know whether a D’Aquisto sounds better than that unplugged, would be interesting to know!

User Info Menu

Another interesting point is that Virtuoso 4 was in fact recorded only 3 months after Virtuoso 1, in the same studio (if Wikipedia is correct), although the record was only released years later. Virtuoso 4 is also acoustic (except for one track I believe, oddly that fact too is similar to Virtuoso 1). The sound on Virtuoso 4 is pretty similar to Virtuoso 1, at least as far as I can tell listening to it on YouTube (I don’t have the record of Virtuoso 4).

Which just raises more questions. If V1 was an ‘accident’, did they like the results so much that they also did V4 unplugged a few months later? Or were both sessions intentionally ‘unplugged’?

Certainly V4 must have been intentionally acoustic, I can’t believe they would have made the same ‘mistake’ twice!

Of course this all assumes the Wikipedia recording dates are correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    If Wikipedia is correct, it says Virtuoso and Virtuoso 2 were recorded 3 years apart, at different studios in L.A.
    That's right. It's Virtuoso #1 and #4 that were [corrected] contemporaneous sessions. #1 recorded in August 1973, #4 recorded in November 1973 but not released until many years later.

Corrected previous content.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dag

User Info Menu

Thanks !

User Info Menu

apart from here's that rainy day, which he obviously did on the ES-175D, the rest was played imo on his D'Angelico, accoustically.

Last edited by GFB; 05-12-2022 at 08:04 AM.

User Info Menu

D'Aquisto, not D'Angelico

User Info Menu

you're totally right, excuse me. I have a D'Angelico myself, hence the mix up, i guess.