The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I wanted to revive a thread on Joe Cohn. He is amongst my favorite jazz guitarists of all time. Thankfully, he is widely recorded and I have been able to find many CDs of his, particularly his solo stuff from Criss Cross. But, it seems he keeps a pretty low media profile these days. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if he is still actively playing and how to find out when/where? I'm aware he reportedly had shoulder surgery 3-4 years ago and seems to have been recorded out and about playing gigs, but I'd love a way to see more of what he is doing currently and support him in some way. Appreciate any response if anyone knows more.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Saw him at the Zinc Bar just before Covid hit. He was with Strings Attached, which included Jack Wilkins and Vic Juris (sadly, both now gone) and Mark Whitfield.

User Info Menu

Joe Cohn's one of my favourites. He's out there working, but keeps a low profile.
    NYC vocalist Jeanne Gies has a regular Friday night gig at Frankie & Johnnie's Steak House. Joe Cohn is with her most weeks.

Here's a couple of YouTube clips from a gig there on 12 May:

If you use Spotify, I've got a playlist there of all the Joe Cohn recordings I can find: Unsupported browser

Two previous threads with some good clips and anecdotes of Joe's playing: Nick Brignola Quartet w/Joe Cohn
    and
    Joe Cohn

User Info Menu

He's one of that rare breed that has super chops but doesn't feel the need to beat you over the head with them. But when he does use 'em--look out! And his tone is always perfect.

User Info Menu

I recently got the recording he did with Doug Raney (Two Funky People), very enjoyable. As a bonus you get to hear how they both comp behind the other’s solos, as there’s no piano.

(Doug takes the first solo on this track, fair enough as it’s his dad’s tune!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I recently got the recording he did with Doug Raney (Two Funky People), very enjoyable. As a bonus you get to hear how they both comp behind the other’s solos, as there’s no piano.

Pop Quiz-
    Based on the changes to what tune? worth 25 points

You Stepped Out of a Dream?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Thanks for posting been meaning to get that one since it came out...just found one reasonably priced, done
    I think Joe and Doug are 2 of my fave players of the last 25 yrs or so, though I swear I still can't tell if it's Doug or Jimmy.
    I'm sure I posted this story before but I caught Joe as a member of Al Grey's band maybe 25-30 yrs ago.
    Never heard of him but I was well familiar w his dad Al, Joe knocked the crowd out that night, myself included.
    Was talking to him on break and he said Al would routinely fire him because he got more applause and hire him back the next day
    Al's son is a sound man in this area, I saw him again recently and told him the story, he got a big kick out of it.

User Info Menu

His daughter can play too, although not guitar. Multiple other instruments, mostly trumpet/cornet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rdlmd
    You Stepped Out of a Dream?
    +25!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    +25!
    I'm still waiting for my 25 points for Spartacus but I guess I gotta come to NY to collect.
    Though I have a feeling 25 points and $25 will get me a latte @ Starbucks there.
    Then again I've never been to a Starbucks or had a latte in my life.

User Info Menu

A fine solo from Joe Cohn on Horace Silver's 'Peace', captured on 14 July 2023.

User Info Menu

'I'll Remember April', 14 July 2023.

and 'Yesterdays'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    His daughter can play too, although not guitar. Multiple other instruments, mostly trumpet/cornet.
    He's scary good on the trumpet himself. Modern Clifford Brown

User Info Menu

When I'd do gigs with older musicians, if I brought up his name, they'd say, "Oh yeah, Al's son. But he plays bass." Or piano, or trumpet. Amazing musician.

User Info Menu

Some more footage from Jim Coleman of Joe Cohn and others at Frankie & Johnnie's, 11 August 2023.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Some more footage from Jim Coleman of Joe Cohn and others at Frankie & Johnnie's, 11 August 2023.

What's the name of the tune with the bass trumpet and trombone player?

User Info Menu

According to the reply in the comments, that's a bass cornet. Bass either is new to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    What's the name of the tune with the bass trumpet and trombone player?
    'Beatrice' by Sam Rivers.

User Info Menu

Two sets of Joe Cohn on bass! Live at Mezzrow on 29 August 2023.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David B
    A fine solo from Joe Cohn on Horace Silver's 'Peace', captured on 14 July 2023.

Beautiful! And perfect in its musicality---every note.

That's Joe!

joelf Guest
    I've known him since '91. Got many stories, but let me focus on his musicianship. It's beyond phenomenal (but then he does come from great stock):

First of all, he plays several instruments besides guitar. And I mean he PLAYS them! As far as I know there's trumpet, bass, alto sax, piano, violin. I believe the last two he learned b/c his daughter played them. Some others he learned b/c various girlfriends played them. They'd practice together. He's recorded on more than one. He used to carry guitar, trumpet and electric bass around with him.

Once he jammed on trumpet in duet with Jerry Weldon. This was after the gigging band (which neither were in, they were sitting in for fun) finished for the night. The tune may have been Stablemates (it was long ago, and I'm old). How great they both sounded! Joe was a natural at any instrument he picked up, and would have been as good as he is on guitar had he concentrated long enough on any one of them.

Sight reading? He would routinely look at a piece of music the first time and play thirds under the melody.

As an improvisor he's always in the moment, on the edge of an idea. I've played with him and listened to him many times through the years, and was thrilled each and every time. I've thought many times 'this guy has to be one of the best who ever played'.

I'll leave it there for now, and just conclude by saying the man is a freak! BUT he also worked his tail off, this I know to be true. Not sure if it was 99% perspiration, but he sweated plenty.

He was born to play, and made the most of his talents...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Joe Cohn on bass with pianist Jesse Green and drummer Jerad Lippi. Mezzrow, NYC. 30 November 2023.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive! Such great stories and video documenting his phenomenal playing!