The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Joe Cohn is one of my all-time favorite working musicians. His timeless soloing, comping and contrapuntal lines behind others and his rhythm feeling are world class. Probably a great and humble human being as well.
    Several times I listened to his saxophone buddy Harry Allen here in Europe. I only wish Joe would decide to travel and/or record a bit more in the near future.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What an interesting coincidence! Today, I was thumbing through an old JJG magazine and found this:
    Just Jazz Guitar No. 65, Nov. 2010, 16th Anniversary Issue
    An interview with Royce Campbell (Henry Mancini's guitarist for 19 years) by Ian Macgregor.
    When asked, 'Who are some of your favorite guitarists?' Royce said, 'Other than the obvious, well-known ones... Joe Cohn; I think he's an excellent musician.'
    I had not heard of him until today, but I've added his album with Doug Raney to my Spotify playlist.

User Info Menu

I learned of Joe Cohn a few years after Pat Metheny wrote this recommendation at patmetheny.com

9.8.2008Joe is an unbelievable improviser. He has always been great and seems to be kicking everything to even higher levels recently. After seeing him this summer I walked away from his performance with such a strong sense of who he has become as a person through his music. He was able to keep ideas going and flowing and turned sentences into paragraphs and paragraphs into stories. For me, that quality is the most rare thing to find and almost appears to be a dying art sometimes. His quartet with Harry Allen is one of the best bands out there right now (with Harry himself being another of the keepers of the narrative flame) and is well worth checking out – but the record listed here is one of Joe’s most recent solo records. “Restless” by Joe Cohn

Joe Cohn-screenshot-2023-12-27-21-04-32-png