The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

I was fortunate enough to see these two incomparable players play together many years ago. Pizza Express, Dean St, anyone? Both a little older now, but comfortable in each other's company. One slipped into Django's shoes, whereas the other perhaps should have (from an historical perspective). So what's to see and hear? For starters, Bireli has rested his guitar on the arm of the Chesterfield for support. Something normal playing positions don't always provide. While this might seem a little impractical and impromtu, especially standing and no strap, having underside support provides quite a lot of stability. We also get to see Martin's comping style more up close since the camera and mic and closer to him. A lot of half steps and economy of movement with occasional pinky use adding colour. One for posterity.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Saumarez

I was fortunate enough to see these two incomparable players play together many years ago. Pizza Express, Dean St, anyone? Both a little older now, but comfortable in each other's company. One slipped into Django's shoes, whereas the other perhaps should have (from an historical perspective). So what's to see and hear? For starters, Bireli has rested his guitar on the arm of the Chesterfield for support. Something normal playing positions don't always provide. While this might seem a little impractical and impromtu, especially standing and no strap, having underside support provides quite a lot of stability. We also get to see Martin's comping style more up close since the camera and mic and closer to him. A lot of half steps and economy of movement with occasional pinky use adding colour. One for posterity.
    'Two FIBONACCI guitars - and an armchair!'

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    'Two FIBONACCI guitars - and an armchair!'
    Two Fibonaccis and one Chesterfield. And two guitarists? ...Nah!

User Info Menu

Strapless.

User Info Menu

Two Fibonaccis and one Chesterfield. And two guitarists? ...Nah!
    Merely pointing out that they meet via Fibonacci and are seen there playing two current models ( Martin on his Joya ) in the Fibonacci showroom in London. Bireli recently on board. Good friends apparently.

Well, we now know the reason for the video. It is a promotion for their US tour this Sept. Here's the video link for the dates

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Merely pointing out that they meet via Fibonacci and are seen there playing two current models ( Martin on his Joya ) in the Fibonacci showroom in London. Bireli recently on board. Good friends apparently.
    I didn't read it any other way. I was just having fun with the title.

User Info Menu

I didn't read it any other way. I was just having fun with the title.
    Great song title. Time we had some new ideas

User Info Menu

Geez, I remember when Bireli was young enough to be hailed as a Wunderkind… now he’s starting to look like Jimmy Bruno. I’m at times uncomfortable with these young upstarts reminding me of my advancing years. And then there’s the prolonged absence of Martin’s (previously red) ponytail. Further evidence of the insulting nature of Time.

Both great players, hope I can catch one of those shows!

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Geez, I remember when Bireli was young enough to be hailed as a Wunderkind… now he’s starting to look like Jimmy Bruno. I’m at times uncomfortable with these young upstarts reminding me of my advancing years. And then there’s the prolonged absence of Martin’s (previously red) ponytail. Further evidence of the insulting nature of Time.

Both great players, hope I can catch one of those shows!
    Haha! I'm sure Bireli would be enthralled by the compliment. The good thing is he has started his legacy in the form of a number of very talented young players who have clearly drawn inspiration from him. It remains to be seen whether the armchair technique catches on.

User Info Menu

Haha! I'm sure Bireli would be enthralled by the compliment. The good thing is he has started his legacy in the form of a number of very talented young players who have clearly drawn inspiration from him. It remains to be seen whether the armchair technique catches on.
    Well, he still looks trim, perhaps more than usual. Not quite grandfatherly. I'm glad I'm not a celebrity, and that I have a magic mirror that lies to me every morning when I shave!

All in good fun, tremendous talent, with "character" good looks!