The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Jens Larsen just tweeted about the passing of Jack Wilkins. I can’t find any other reference to his passing. Jack was one of the greats and had been struggling for awhile with kidney disease.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Terribly sad news. Jack was a fabulous player - one of the very best. I did have something in common with Jack, we both started our musical journey studying with Sid Margolis. Jack dove into music as a profession - and I went into Aerospace Mfg.

Cherish each day you guys ......

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Very sad news. Jack was one of the greats. RIP.

User Info Menu

Jack did pass away yesterday at just before 8:00 PM. I was part of a small, close group that had been caring for and taking care of Jack in the last 2+months since he went into the hospital. I felt honored and grateful to do it.

I will try to write something more meaningful at some point t, but I frankly don't have it in me right now.

I miss him already.

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Jack did pass away yesterday at just before 8:00 PM. I was part of a small, close group that had been caring for and taking care of Jack in the last 2+months since he went into the hospital. I felt honored and grateful to do it.

I will try to write something more meaningful at some point t, but I frankly don't have it in me right now.

I miss him already.
    So sorry for your loss, Darren.

User Info Menu

Had never heard of him 40 yrs ago when I heard a cut off his CTI lp Captain Blued on the radio, needless to say I was very impressed
    rip Jack...

User Info Menu

RIP to a singular voice in jazz guitar. He was more under the radar for most of his career than his skills and musicality should have warranted.

User Info Menu

This is awful news.I was fortunate enough to see him a number of times and his playing was just off the charts great.I could never understand why he wasn't talked about more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Terribly sad news. Jack was a fabulous player - one of the very best. I did have something in common with Jack, we both started our musical journey studying with Sid Margolis. Jack dove into music as a profession - and I went into Aerospace Mfg.

Cherish each day you guys ......

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Sid was my first teacher, starting in late 1963. Jack's teaching room was next to Sid's. I remember seeing him there often.

My next teacher, after Sid, still at the same studio, was Carl Barry, a great player. Carl invited me to come to a gig he was playing at a bar in Bensonhurst on a Sunday night. It was my first time in a bar (I was underage), but they let me in because of Carl and even served me a beer, my first.

The band was Carl on guitar, Jack Wilkins on bass and a drummer. Late in the evening they had a guest. Chuck Wayne came by after playing the Ed Sullivan show and sat in. They were all great, Chuck was amazing.

Nearly 55 years later, I went to a Zinc Bar gig to see Strings Attached (with Jack, Joe Cohn, Mark Whitfield, Vic Juris, David Gibson and a bassist (sorry don't recall his name). Said hello to Jack and he told me Carl would be stopping by, which he did. First time I'd seen them in all those years. It was great to see them and very sad to hear that Jack has passed.

User Info Menu

RIP

Another great jazz guitarist has left the scene. Where he went, we all shall follow, Play them guitars while you can. It is later than you think.

User Info Menu

Jack was a great player and old video's of his seem like he was young just yesterday. RIP Jack and for certain play those guitars and always tell the folks around you who make a difference that you love them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Jack was a great player and old video's of his seem like he was young just yesterday. RIP Jack and for certain play those guitars and always tell the folks around you who make a difference that you love them.
    Amen

User Info Menu

I saw Jack playing with Bucky at that Italian restaurant gig he had in NYC. He had lost a lot of weight and seemed to be in good shape. This comes as a shock.
    He worked for the same club date office that I did, years ago in Brooklyn. RIP.

User Info Menu

We were so fortunate to have Jack out for one of our Spokane Jazz Guitar Society weekends (now defunct) back around 2010 or 11. His playing was amazing, he was so friendly and supportive, such a deep player... Just an amazing hang. I didn't know much about him before that, but have followed and admired him since, to the point of worrying about where such artists wind up in their later years, when their last name is not Benson or Metheny. Sadly, there is one less brilliant artist to worry about.

Thanks, Jack, for your artistry, courage, humor, kindness. I have a pic somewhere of him receiving smooches from the wives of attendees/students... They really loved Jack, out of all the artists we had in the series. Will try to find it.

Update: still can't find that pic, apparently it was on HIS website as well, which apparently is down, now. Also, it was clear back in 2007.
    Last edited by yebdox; 05-07-2023 at 07:13 PM.

joelf Guest
    I apologize for being so late to the tributes, but I only learned of this a few hours ago and am saddened beyond words. But I'll try my best:

I only interacted with Jack once, but he immediately impressed me as a great guy. Of course I knew of his singular musicianship.

The Brooklyn 'guitar Mafia' has been alluded to here. From the early '60s Jack was a leading light in that talented crowd that included such talents as Carl Barry; Dom Minasi; Mike Gari and others. There was an article on Jack's web page and elsewhere, sadly gone now, about jam sessions at guitarist-dressmaker Lou Sosa's loft. The young aforementioned plectrists would show up after-hours hoping for a shot at playing with Chuck Wayne---who showed up wanting some musical adventure after his various television and other commercial assignments.

I should mention that Carl was my teacher when I was 17, and that's how I learned of these guys. (I ended up later studying with Chuck). My point is: these guys were all links in a chain. They all did well in this rough business, but Jack rose to the top. He had a resume most would envy. He was born to play and excell at guitar BUT he also worked his butt off to get to the level he did.

I think we're all saying that his life was inspirational. Rest in peace, Jack Wilkins. You made the world a way better place and----not for nothing---Brooklyn oughtta be proud...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I apologize for being so late to the tributes, but I only learned of this a few hours ago and am saddened beyond words. But I'll try my best:

I only interacted with Jack once, but he immediately impressed me as a great guy. Of course I knew of his singular musicianship.

The Brooklyn 'guitar Mafia' has been alluded to here. From the early '60s Jack was a leading light in that talented crowd that included such talents as Carl Barry; Dom Minasi; Mike Gari and others. There was an article on Jack's web page and elsewhere, sadly gone now, about jam sessions at guitarist-dressmaker Lou Sosa's loft. The young aforementioned plectrists would show up after-hours hoping for a shot at playing with Chuck Wayne---who showed up wanting some musical adventure after his various television and other commercial assignments.

I should mention that Carl was my teacher when I was 17, and that's how I learned of these guys. (I ended up later studying with Chuck). My point is: these guys were all links in a chain. They all did well in this rough business, but Jack rose to the top. He had a resume most would envy. He was born to play and excell at guitar BUT he also worked his butt off to get to the level he did.

I think we're all saying that his life was inspirational. Rest in peace, Jack Wilkins. You made the world a way better place and----not for nothing---Brooklyn oughtta be proud...
    Joe, thank you so much for writing such a wonderful reply. I was so happy to see it. It's made me sad to see so few replies and views to this post since Jack passed.

I mentioned in this thread that I was eventually going to post my own tribute, but it's been tough for a myriad of reasons. Anyway, I still plan to.

Thanks again for sharing, Joe

User Info Menu

A guy I remember from back then, but I don't know if he worked with Jack, Carl or Chuck, was Carmine D'Amico. The people I knew (me included) thought Carmine was terrific.

User Info Menu

RIP. Very sad.

I saw Jack Wilkins play live in a duo with Jimmy Bruno. Best duo playing I've ever heard.

What a great player! Saw him live once and was knocked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Just an incredible player. Rest in Peace, indeed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf

I didn't realize that Chuck was teaching back then. The guys I knew who left the neighborhood to study, studied with Sal Salvador.

I also recall hearing about Major Wiley, if I am recalling that correctly.

User Info Menu

Ah, I just happened on this, had some great times with Jack when he played in Boston. Great energy, gone too soon.

joelf Guest
    My pleasure. (BTW, it's JoeL)...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I didn't realize that Chuck was teaching back then.
    He was teaching out of his house on Staten Island...