The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 63

User Info Menu

Hey all, I'm a huge fan of the classic jazz guitar players but really don't know much about the modern guys. Let's say 90s on...and I'm not a huge fan of fusion or smooth jazz. Who are you guys listening to and liking from the more modern crowd?

Guitarists, but I wouldn't mind hearing about other players too. Basically, if I fell off the face of the earth in 1969 what have I missed (besides fusion and smooth)?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In no particular order :

Frank Vignola, Pasquale Grasso, Yotam Silberstein, Jonathan Kreisberg , Lage Lund, Mike Moreno, Peter Bernstein, Julian Lage, Tom Ollendorff, Gilad Hekselman, Pat Martino, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Ed Bickert, Romain Pilon, Perry Smith, Mary Halverson,Lionel Loueke, Jesse Van Ruller, Mark Whitfield, Russell Malone, Andeas Oberg, Geoff Young, David Occhipinti, Tim Miller, John Stowell,Bireli Lagrene,Marko Cepak Maki, Jimmy Bruno(old but ...)
    S
    Last edited by SOLR; 04-21-2023 at 09:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    Tom Ollendorff,
    He's really good isn't he?

I'd also add Ant Law...

User Info Menu

If you missed everything after 69, just start and end with Holdsworth. That will keep you busy until, well, the end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    If you missed everything after 69, just start and end with Holdsworth. That will keep you busy until, well, the end.
    Wouldn't he be fusion?

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMColeman
    Hey all, I'm a huge fan of the classic jazz guitar players but really don't know much about the modern guys. Let's say 90s on...and I'm not a huge fan of fusion or smooth jazz. Who are you guys listening to and liking from the more modern crowd?

Guitarists, but I wouldn't mind hearing about other players too. Basically, if I fell off the face of the earth in 1969 what have I missed (besides fusion and smooth)?
    I'm the same way. When I was starting in the early 60s, besides surf music, I was into Chet, Johnny Smith, Wes Montgomery, Tony Mottola, Bob Bain, etc. Nowadays, the only people I know of are Ed Bickert (wow), Herb Ellis, and a few others that I can take or leave. I sorta like Bill Frisell because some of his song choices take me back to the old days but he makes me nervous watching him play - c'mon, just make up your mind on which notes to play and get on with it (LOL). I've worked in dance bands for 50+ years and find it hard to listen to anything without a strong beat. These days I mostly listen to 40's and Sinatra channels on XM radio - I was born at the end of WWII and my parents were very musically aware, going to the Hollywood Palladium, etc. ( my dad was stationed at what is now Edwards AFB in CA) and hearing great music all during the war. That big band swing is just hard to beat - I know it's old, but so am I. I'm still very much into Great American Songbook and when I play, which is mostly by myself these days, those are the tunes I would rather play.

User Info Menu

Bobby Broom, Mick Goodrick, Ben Monder, Adam Rogers, Fareed Haque.

User Info Menu

Matthew Stevens, Dan Wilson, and Liberty Ellman are a few current players I really enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I'm the same way. When I was starting in the early 60s, besides surf music, I was into Chet, Johnny Smith, Wes Montgomery, Tony Mottola, Bob Bain, etc. Nowadays, the only people I know of are Ed Bickert (wow), Herb Ellis, and a few others that I can take or leave. I sorta like Bill Frisell because some of his song choices take me back to the old days but he makes me nervous watching him play - c'mon, just make up your mind on which notes to play and get on with it (LOL). I've worked in dance bands for 50+ years and find it hard to listen to anything without a strong beat. These days I mostly listen to 40's and Sinatra channels on XM radio - I was born at the end of WWII and my parents were very musically aware, going to the Hollywood Palladium, etc. ( my dad was stationed at what is now Edwards AFB in CA) and hearing great music all during the war. That big band swing is just hard to beat - I know it's old, but so am I. I'm still very much into Great American Songbook and when I play, which is mostly by myself these days, those are the tunes I would rather play.
    I'll be 44 in a couple of weeks and agree with everything you just said. My grandfather was stationed at Edwards AFB and we grew up in Southern California. My body may not be old, but my spirit is!

User Info Menu

In no particular order :

Frank Vignola, Pasquale Grasso, Yotam Silberstein, Jonathan Kreisberg, Lage Lund, Mike Moreno, Peter Bernstein, Julian Lage, Tom Ollendorff, Gilad Hekselman, Pat Martino, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Ed Bickert, Romain Pilon, Perry Smith, Mary Halverson,Lionel Loueke, Jesse Van Ruller, Mark Whitfield, Russell Malone, Andeas Oberg, Geoff Young, David Occhipinti, Tim Miller, John Stowell,Bireli Lagrene,Marko Cepak Maki,Jimmy Bruno(old but ...)
    S
    Well, if in no particular order, I'll start at the beginning and see what interests me. Any couple you really enjoy and would recommend as first stop on the trip?

User Info Menu

Wouldn't he be fusion?

S
    Fusion is a catchall that has lost most meaning. Does Allan sound like Weather Report? No, but both would seemingly get lumped together. To me, Allan is an extension of where later Coltrane ended up.

User Info Menu

Some friends from the London scene.

Ant Law

Tom Ollendorff

Nick Costley-White

David Preston

User Info Menu

Miles Okazaki

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Miles Okazaki

Someone recommended his book to me not so long ago...

User Info Menu

Mary Halvorson, Julian Lage and Miles Okazaki.

User Info Menu

Julian Lage

User Info Menu

Jakob Bro

User Info Menu

Maarten van der Grinten

User Info Menu

Jesse van Ruller

User Info Menu

Reinier Baas

User Info Menu

Renier Baas and Jesse van Ruller