Charles Altura
    Wolfgang Muthspiel

User Info Menu

so many good players,

Ron Affif

Albert Villa

S

User Info Menu

Can't believe I left off Martin Taylor and Ulf Wakenius and Paul Bollenbeck....

If you scroll down the players mainpage you'll find lots to listen to...

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Matthew Stevens, Dan Wilson, and Liberty Ellman are a few current players I really enjoy.
    So at least two people here appreciate Matthew's work.

I haven't seen Nir Felder mentioned, so there's another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    He's really good isn't he?

I'd also add Ant Law...
    Isn't Ollendorf really a 'classical' player, albeit on an electric guitar? Can he swing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Isn't Ollendorf really a 'classical' player, albeit on an electric guitar? Can he swing?
    He sure can

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMColeman
    I'll be 44 in a couple of weeks and agree with everything you just said. My grandfather was stationed at Edwards AFB and we grew up in Southern California. My body may not be old, but my spirit is!
    I'll be 78 in a few weeks! Got a couple Agent Orange related things going on but still kickin'. BTW, when I was born in Lancaster, Edwards was called Muroc AAFB. I believe my folks had a place off base in Boron.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    Fusion is a catchall that has lost most meaning. Does Allan sound like Weather Report? No, but both would seemingly get lumped together. To me, Allan is an extension of where later Coltrane ended up.
    i

This. Al might be the most ‘advanced’ harmonic/melodic improviser on any instrument….crazy that he did it on the guitar - that seeming has a little bit of harmonic potential (but dwarfed by the piano), or a little bit of melodic potential(but dwarfed by most wind instruments). He’s a great study in taking advantage of the synergies of your particular instrument instead of being lost in archaic ideology.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    Fusion is a catchall that has lost most meaning. Does Allan sound like Weather Report?
    In the great scheme of things, yes. Back in the day, the jazzy rock music and the rocky jazz would be in the same section of the record shop, alongside the ECM releases and those of Obscure Records. Genres are defined as much by what they are not as what they are.

User Info Menu

Jim Mullen!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Renier Baas and Jesse van Ruller

I must say, I was blown away by this Duo! Not just the superb musicianship... also the intensity in their playing and the music...
    Have they recorded an album as a Duo (and, in particular, this piece)?
    Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Karim Saber

User Info Menu

I like these guys.

The tune is April Child by Moacir Santos. The original chart has straightfoward harmony. This arrangement adds a bunch to the original and takes the harmony into the statosphere.

They just came out with a duo album, a week or so ago.

To my ear (and limited awareness of a lot of other players) this is at least one cutting edge to guitar

User Info Menu

Susanna Risberg

User Info Menu

Max Light is my favourite new voice, well grounded in tradition, poised to be one of the most important voices of the new generation.
    Modern players also include Tim Miller, James Emery, Bill Frisell, John Scofield is not so much modern as timeless. Terje Rypdal, a huge force in modern guitar and a big influence on Bill Frisell while he was in his formative years.
    Already mentioned but not to be overlooked are Wolfgang Muthspiel, Julian Lage, Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, Emily Remler, Wayne Krantz, Andrew Marzotto, Lage Lund, Suzanna Risberg all mentioned in one sentence because they're the spiritual children of Mick Goodrick, in my mind the granddaddy of modern guitar.
    Modern also includes John Abercrombie who was constantly evolving and looking for his roots and in this endeavour he redefined modern.
    Ben Monder is a contemporary but he's without peers, so focused on finding the future possibilities of the guitar.
    Yeah Kurt Rosenwinkel proves that being steeped in the classics makes you the most modern.
    In the end though, Jim Hall.
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 04-23-2023 at 06:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Mark Whitfield with a great rhythm section and incredible pianist.

S

User Info Menu

Since these 2 have been mentioned quite a bit this week :

From 10 yrs ago!!!

S

User Info Menu

As the OP mentioned the '90s in his first post, and though I've shared several videos in this thread already, a good place to look to find some important guitarists to have emerged in the last 30 years are the albums of Paul Motian's Electric Bebop Band (later called just the Paul Motian Band).

The general format of the various lineups was two tenor saxophones, two guitars, bass and drums.

'Paul Motian and the Electric Bebop band' (1993): Kurt Rosenwinkel and Brad Shepik on guitars.
    'Reincarnation of a Lovebird' (1994): Wolfgang Muthspiel and Kurt Rosenwinkel on guitars.
    'Flight of the Blue Jay' (1996): Brad Shepik and Kurt Rosenwinkel on guitars.
    'Plays Monk and Powell' (1999): Steve Cardenas and Kurt Rosenwinkel on guitars.
    'Europe' (2000): Steve Cardenas and Ben Monder on guitars.
    'Holiday for Strings' (2002): Steve Cardenas and Ben Monder on guitars.
    'Garden of Eden' (2004): Steve Cardenas, Ben Monder and Jakob Bro on guitars.

User Info Menu

Sylvain Luc (1):

User Info Menu

Sylvain Luc (2):

User Info Menu

Sandra Hempel:

User Info Menu

Ben Monder: