Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Simply sublime

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Try this one if you can get past the crowd noise, Mancini's Dreamsville

User Info Menu

I don't know why he wasn't mentioned in the Wes film. Sure, he passed in 2015, but he was the best example of Wes' influence. Great player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I don't know why he wasn't mentioned in the Wes film. Sure, he passed in 2015, but he was the best example of Wes' influence. Great player.
    I don't know why he isn't mentioned more in general.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I don't know why he isn't mentioned more in general.
    Yeah, people just want to hear players that put on a technical circus act.

User Info Menu

Interesting live solo album:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Try this one if you can get past the crowd noise, Mancini's Dreamsville

Noise? I didn’t hear any because I was too dialed in to the sound these 2 musical veterans were making. That’s the best Ponder in my book. Dreamsville. Talk about a Mancini story. He’s also one of the film scoring greats!

Observe too how dialed in the piano player was to Ponder? Joined at the hip, doing his best to eliminate extraneous noise at the keyboard. That’s a lesson in comping. When in doubt, lay out. Less is more. Miles Davis taught us that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Interesting live solo album:

I don't know where you find these things. A solo album with just his thumb.Even Wes never tried that. One of the commenters said that the owner insisted that JP play solo, even though he wanted to bring in a trio or quartet.
    I played one of the best concerts I ever played at The Other End. It didn't feel like a regular club. People actually listened like they were at a concert.

User Info Menu

Well, they made up for it by having Slash and Skunk Baxter in the doc.

User Info Menu

I don't know where you find these things. A solo album with just his thumb.Even Wes never tried that. One of the commenters said that the owner insisted that JP play solo, even though he wanted to bring in a trio or quartet.
    I played one of the best concerts I ever played at The Other End. It didn't feel like a regular club. People actually listened like they were at a concert.
    To be honest, I didn’t know much about Jimmy Ponder so I looked him up on allmusic and that one looked particularly interesting. He also did a studio solo album:

User Info Menu