The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

amazing playing from Jimmy B.

Sonny Stitt's Eternal triangle

S
    Last edited by SOLR; 04-11-2023 at 06:12 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When we see him now we forget he was that good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    He had a massive seizure and spent a few months in the hospital. They weren't sure if he would even be able to play again... and after all that he is still a better guitarist than all of us. The cat is a living legend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Like my response now yours seems unnecessary.

More great playing....

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    He had a massive seizure and spent a few months in the hospital. They weren't sure if he would even be able to play again... and after all that he is still a better guitarist than all of us. The cat is a living legend.
    When was this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel
    Jimmy didn't think he was going to be able to play again, either. He posted several very dejected videos in which he said he believed it was "all gone." However, the resilience of the human organism as a remarkable thing and within a few months, he was playing and getting his chops back and within a year was playing very well. As you point out, even not at his full powers, he is still a far better jazz musician than I will ever be (I'm 63 and I've been playing for almost 45 years, it's entirely possible I have maximized my meager talents).

User Info Menu

Oh, I knew about that. I thought it was something recent. Poor guy, he's been through the mill. I can't even go into all of it.

Check his GIANT STEPS:

The guy was a machine.....

S
    Last edited by SOLR; 04-14-2023 at 10:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Not many legends left. Thankfully we have someone of Jimmy Bruno's talent who gets it and cajoles us when we stray and leaves tons of fretboard video for us to figure it out for ourselves.

I have to plug his 6 Essential Fingerings book. I'm going through it again years later. Especially to soak in where each finger is mapped to a scale degree, how one fingering covers 2m7-57-1M7, and how to link the fingerings.
    Jimmy Bruno 6 Fingerings for Jazz Guitar - video Dailymotion

I found this video enjoyable. Frank Vignola and Ken Smith are immense talents and Jimmy Bruno is really on top of his game this night:
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 05-12-2023 at 11:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StringNavigator
    For a young guy, Frank Vignola is an immense talent,
    Good to see someone in their late 50's being called young...

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola, like the rest of us, was young once. As was Jimmy Bruno. Peter Pan was a myth. We all get old if we're lucky.

User Info Menu

This is truly why I love jazz. At 43, I'm still an up and comer, whereas in rock I'd already be a has-been.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Good to see someone in their late 50's being called young...
    I was thinking the same thing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Well look at Keith Richards. I swear he is looking younger these days than he did 5 years ago.

Not to mention Willie, who's still touring at age 90. Maybe in a few years you can move to country?
    Thanks for posting that. Enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

I read somewhere that Keef may have given up drinking which my account for his healthily looking appearance. I agree he is looking and sounding great at the Willie show.

User Info Menu

Back on topic, Jimmy can burn, but he plays the tune. It's never just for the sake of burning, to my ears. But there is a time and place to burn, and Jimmy knows it

User Info Menu

Jimmy's a very melodic player. For all his dazzle, he shines on ballads. Here he is doing a ballad melody with Frank Vignola. He's a sweet accompanist too. ;o)

User Info Menu

A real character, I saw Jimmy Bruno play in a duo with Jack Wilkins at the Wales Jazz Guitar festival 20 years ago. The best Jazz Guitar duo playing I've ever heard.

User Info Menu

Jimmy plays well with others. I've liked his duo playing with Howard Alden since I first heard them back in the '90s somewhere. There was a trio album also, which included Frank Vignola, "The Concord Jazz Guitar Collective" IIRC, which cooked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Jimmy plays well with others. I've liked his duo playing with Howard Alden since I first heard them back in the '90s somewhere. There was a trio album also, which included Frank Vignola, "The Concord Jazz Guitar Collective" IIRC, which cooked.
    A sample:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This is truly why I love jazz. At 43, I'm still an up and comer, whereas in rock I'd already be a has-been.
    At 60, I’m all that at once

As for Bruno, he’s gotten a bit “grumpy old man” perhaps… but the wealth of experience and knowledge there is immense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Back on topic, Jimmy can burn, but he plays the tune. It's never just for the sake of burning, to my ears. But there is a time and place to burn, and Jimmy knows it
    That’s been a slowly evolving change. When he first came off the road and embarked on his own career, he played every note he could every chance he got. I always got the feeling he was more interested in impressing people with his chops than he was in making beautiful music.

Fortunately, after his first few albums, I think that a more thoughtful approach began to emerge in his playing. He’s a wonderful player with elegant musical taste, especially now that he seems to realize he has nothing to prove to anybody. It’s been a long time coming, and he’s certainly paid his dues in many ways to get there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    That’s been a slowly evolving change. When he first came off the road and embarked on his own career, he played every note he could every chance he got. I always got the feeling he was more interested in impressing people with his chops than he was in making beautiful music.

Fortunately, after his first few albums, I think that a more thoughtful approach began to emerge in his playing. He’s a wonderful player with elegant musical taste, especially now that he seems to realize he has nothing to prove to anybody. It’s been a long time coming, and he’s certainly paid his dues in many ways to get there.
    Yeah, I feel like he needed to get that out of his system a bit...but he's a Philly guy. Tough town, guitar town, a real history. Got to assert yourself.