The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah, I feel like he needed to get that out of his system a bit...but he's a Philly guy. Tough town, guitar town, a real history. Got to assert yourself.
    And yet there are a few Philly jazz guitarists with both taste and chops who are humble, pleasant, and unburdened by chips on their shoulders. Pat Martino was one of the nicest and most cerebral guys I ever met (and I knew him from 1964 until his death). Victor Baker (who managed to escape but is still a Philly guy to me) is a truly fine man - humble, skilled, nice, fine guitarist etc. We also brought you Eddie Lang, Billy Bean, Kevin Eubanks, Joe Beck, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Larry Tamanini, and many others. And then there's me - I may not be in this league, but I'm nice, I'm a Philly guy, and the only thing on my shoulder is the occasional guitar strap

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jimmy tells the story of working in a bar when he back to Philly from life on the road.
    One night there was a knock at the back door.
    Jimmy called out, "Who is it?"
    "Joe Pass."
    "Bullshit. Joe Pass would never play a dump like this."
    It was Joe Pass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    And yet there are a few Philly jazz guitarists with both taste and chops who are humble, pleasant, and unburdened by chips on their shoulders. Pat Martino was one of the nicest and most cerebral guys I ever met (and I knew him from 1964 until his death). Victor Baker (who managed to escape but is still a Philly guy to me) is a truly fine man - humble, skilled, nice, fine guitarist etc. We also brought you Eddie Lang, Billy Bean, Kevin Eubanks, Joe Beck, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Larry Tamanini, and many others. And then there's me - I may not be in this league, but I'm nice, I'm a Philly guy, and the only thing on my shoulder is the occasional guitar strap
    Oh, not saying you can't be nice...but you gotta be able to PLAY!!! Pat Martino probably never had a speak a word and folks were shaking in their shoes

User Info Menu

If you were ever in Jimmy's school / workshop, you remember "lesson one." I know I do.

User Info Menu

That’s been a slowly evolving change. When he first came off the road and embarked on his own career, he played every note he could every chance he got. I always got the feeling he was more interested in impressing people with his chops than he was in making beautiful music.
    That was my feeling exactly. His playing now is so beautiful and elegant. Sometimes it takes a lifetime to be yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    If you were ever in Jimmy's school / workshop, you remember "lesson one." I know I do.

Been working on this. I still always make at least one mistake as I do the 12 keys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    Been working on this. I still always make at least one mistake as I do the 12 keys.
    Wasn't there a Jimmy Bruno small booklet with Six Fingering patterns about 25 years ago. I remember buying it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Wasn't there a Jimmy Bruno small booklet with Six Fingering patterns about 25 years ago. I remember buying it.
    That sounds about right. Since then, he’s altered it slightly to five positions.