The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny has announced his upcoming U.S. tour for 2023. It's called the Dream Box Tour - SOLO. I'm assuming that means he will be playing solo guitar pieces? The only info I have right now is what he announced on his Twitter and Website, which isn't much more than is in this ad.

Regardless, I'll be there when he comes to my city, because Pat, Benson, and Martino are my 3 main influences, when it comes to jazz guitar.
    Pat Metheny US tour 2023:  Dream Box Tour - SOLO-screenshot_20230406-005349-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

https://patmetheny.com/schedule/
    Many Pre-Sales start Wed, April 5 @ 10am
    Fan Code: DREAMBOX
    Public On-Sale Fri, April 7 @ 10am

More dates to be announced in the coming weeks

Sept 16 Portland, ME
    Sept 19 Ridgefield, CT
    Sept 20 Hartford, CT
    Sept 21 Boston, MA
    Sept 22 Glenside, PA
    Sept 25 Burlington, VT
    Sept 30 Royal Oak, MI
    Oct 5 Milwaukee, WI
    Oct 9 Nashville, TN
    Oct 10 Memphis, TN
    Oct 11 Dallas, TX
    Oct 12 Austin, TX
    Oct 15 Denver, CO (not on sale Friday, details to come)
    Oct 16 Boulder, CO
    Oct 18 - 20 Park City, UT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James Haze
    Pat Metheny has announced his upcoming U.S. tour for 2023. It's called the Dream Box Tour - SOLO. I'm assuming that means he will be playing solo guitar pieces? The only info I have right now is what he announced on his Twitter and Website, which isn't much more than is in this ad.
    Thanks for the heads up. I love his solo playing. I'm not sure to will come close enough for us but I'd be willing to drive quite a distance to see him play alone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Thanks for the heads up. I love his solo playing. I'm not sure to will come close enough for us but I'd be willing to drive quite a distance to see him play alone.
    True that! I'm really looking forward to it, because Pat's solo guitar playing is absolutely extraordinary.

His solo guitar cover of Nora Jones' "Don't Know Why" is beautiful playing, and an expert clinic on what's possible on solo guitar. He has so many like that, too. I'm hoping I can get front row seats.

User Info Menu

i saw him do ‘and i love her’
    solo on nylon as an encore
    in hammersmith odeon a few years ago

everyone was leaving !
    so i went up the front
    probably 10 feet away ….

i love that tune and
    he absolutely killed it

he was totally dedicated and focused

it affected me quite deeply
    the guys great ….

User Info Menu

Haven’t seen him in, uh, almost 40 years. Would love to see him again. His last 2 albums are great and IMO rank up there with his classic works. He is still pushing boundaries both with studio and live work.

He did play in Lincoln—an hour away—a year or 2 ago, but frankly in the midst of COVID I was not keen on driving a long distance and wearing a mask to see someone. Especially mid-week.

I do hope to see him again the next time he tours around here.

User Info Menu

Great to see he is doing this. His What's it all about album is my favorite thing he has done.That album has great tunes,great arrangements played brilliantly by him.I have a friend whose eyes will glaze over if i play a jazz album with endless solo's but she loves his solo album and she says jazz needs more of this and might sell more than the one percent in sales it does now.He's doing this tour to support his Dream Box solo album that comes out in June.

User Info Menu

“Dream Box is an unusual recording for me; a compilation of solo tracks recorded across a few years that I discovered while listening on tour. During the extensive touring period that made up most of 2022 for me, I found a forgotten folder on my drive. I often make quick recordings of things; a new tune, a new (or old) guitar, a standard tune, or just to try something out. I have a spot in my laptop where I stash these things. And truthfully; often never to be heard again.

Usually, the only time I get to listen to my own stuff is while on the road. I often say I live on output, with little or no time for input. That changes on tour, where suddenly there seems to be more free hours in the day, albeit on a bus or in some far-flung hotel room. Occasionally, those moments offer a chance to rummage around in the files to see if anything interesting may lie there.

This past year was a particularly busy travel year for me, with about 160 performances worldwide. In the course of all that travel, I found myself returning to that discovered folder lots of times, genuinely surprised at what I was finding in there.

From those listening sessions, I gradually sifted through everything to find this program emerging as a coherent whole. I found that I had unintentionally gotten to a destination I had not planned for, and I am excited to share what was buried in there.

These nine tracks were my favorites and added up to something unique for me. I never played any of these initial tracks included here more than that once. These are really moments in time, and in fact, I have almost no memory of having recorded most of them. They just kind of showed up.

Every track but one reflects a method of recording that began for me on the piece Unity Village way back on Bright Size Life; an initial harmonic part laid down with the chords followed by a second track of melodic and improvisational material.

The focus here is on electric guitar, but maybe more to the point; quiet electric guitar. It is an area of particular interest for me. A goal has always been to have a touch on the electric that might get me as close to the kind of phrase-by-phrase dynamics that can occur naturally with an acoustic instrument. In fact, using an electric in this way is quite a bit harder than what occurs naturally with an acoustic. There is one more step between the touch of the player and the listener that has to be accounted for.

Ballads. I write one a day it seems - more than I can keep track of, actually. Charlie Haden was the guy who encouraged me to not just write a lead sheet, but to document each thing I write by doing even just a simple recording of it. So, yet again, thanks, Charlie.

Regarding the title, box is musician slang for a hollow-body electric guitar. Using that vernacular, there are some super cool Dream Box instruments represented on this recording, including the prototype of new instrument I have been working with Ibanez on that reflects my interest in pre-war Charlie Christian style pick-ups.

But dreams in their broadest sense make up the vibe with this set. Music exists for me in an elusive state, often at its best when discovered apart from any particular intention.

I hope folks might find some dreams of their own in this music.”

- Pat