The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James Haze
    First of all, dude, you don't know what you're talking about, it's obvious from what you wrote.

If you think record sales are the only determiner of the value of the art to society, then just put on a skirt, some high-heeled pumps, and join the Katy Perry candy coated bimbo fan club. This is a JAZZ guitar forum, for people who appreciate jazz and jazz guitar for the genius music that it is. Also, I think there are a lot of people who appreciate Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven, who would disagree with the premise that record sales are the only determiner of the value to society of art.

If you think the term "jazz fusion" only applies to jazz rock music with distorted guitars, then you don't even know what jazz fusion means. Jazz fusion does not only mean jazz rock. "Jazz fusion" is an umbrella term that includes any form of music that is combined with jazz. So, technically smooth jazz is also "jazz fusion," R&B fused with jazz.

Pat Metheny is primarily a jazz fusion artist, although he also plays straight ahead jazz sometimes. He's a very capable musical genius musician, so he can play anything he feels like playing.

Dude, there are plenty of R&B artists who play at smooth jazz festivals. There is crossover there, because if a person is into smooth jazz, it's a pretty safe bet that they also like R&B music . I see R&B artists advertising that they are performing at some "smooth jazz festival" all the time. That is just a tactic the "smooth jazz festival" promoters use to sell tickets. So, an artist performing at a "smooth jazz festival" does not make that artist a smooth jazz artist.

Also, you are wrong again, Pat Metheny has sold MUCH more than what you stated in your erroneous post, much more. Look it up yourself. If you know how to use Google, have some intelligence, and you can read, you can find the correct information yourself.

You obviously like to argue, and I really don't like to argue, so I won't be responding to any more of your erroneous, argumentative posts.

If you think record sales are the only determiner for the value of the art itself, to society and to the world of music, then the Katy Perry candy coated bimbo fan club would be glad to have you.
    Lots of "dude" bullshit from you but no proof Metheny has sold as many albums as you claim. I guess I'll let you run your piehole in peace.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    I guess I'll let you run your piehole in peace.
    I disregarded him from his first post, but at least you put in some due diligence before pulling the plug.

User Info Menu

When I post quotes from two well known smooth jazz artists, who have both been making smooth jazz records for decades, and both of them state that smooth jazz records do NOT sell much today, yet this guy keeps saying that,"smooth jazz, by far, sells the most records of any kind of jazz music. What do you expect me to say, except dude you're incorrect?

Then he wants to use, Sade, an R&B superstar, (who sold most of her records way back in the 80s and 90s, before digital downloading, to R&B fans) as his example of what smooth jazz artists records are selling today.

What do you expect me to say about that too, except dude you're incorrect?

Sure, Sade's music is kind of laid back, and features sexy saxophone solos, so she got airplay on smooth jazz radio, BUT her records were also in heavy rotation on R&B radio stations, where most smooth jazz artists records were not being played.
    Last edited by James Haze; 04-11-2023 at 03:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Lots of "dude" bullshit from you but no proof Metheny has sold as many albums as you claim. I guess I'll let you run your piehole in peace.
    Dude, you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong again.

C'mon, right on Pat Metheny's website, it says that he has sold over 20 MILLION RECORDS.

That disproves you, and all the gloomy, dreary people who say you can't make any money playing jazz. THEY won't, because of their own dismal attitudes, that's all. However, the people who really believe in themselves, and therefore put in the time and effort to become great, are the ones who accomplish amazing things in this world.

User Info Menu

The only source I found after a quick search was that Pat sold about 1.7 million records in the US and abroad with "Letter from home" making up the largest share of his sales at 500k. Maybe I missed a more credible source.
    I think you might. He has 3 gold records that I know of, which means he sold more than 1.5 million right there. He’s released about 60 albums of which 20 won Grammys, 12 of which were in different categories. If the 57 that didn’t go gold averaged even 10,000 sales apiece, he’s sold about half a million more. So he’s certainly sold more than the 1.7 million you cited.