The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I had seen the Trane videos w Getz and Peterson but this one escaped me.
    The Miles era is my favorite period for Trane but more importantly for me this is the same rhythm section as on the Half Note lp w Wes. Just unbelievable, Wynton's always been one of my favorites and Paul's flat out my favorite bassist, all due respect to Ray. Side note, he took up the bass in '49 and 6 yrs later while w Miles won new star in Downbeat. He played tuba prior and bari sax, several other instruments actually. Don't get me started on Chambers, all this and only made it to 33 yrs old, Kelly only 39.
    What a treat these vids are, 'scuse me for being so late to the party...
    p.s. I see there's another of Green Dolphin

Last edited by wintermoon; 03-21-2023 at 12:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think I’ve got this on the Jazz Icons DVD of Coltrane.

User Info Menu

Seriously great clip! All the visuals blend to make a perfect backdrop for some outstanding music. And I love watching Coltrane almost as much as I love listening. You can really see him in this one. Thankyou.

Anyone remember a fairly recent post... something like 'what's youtube good for'... or something? A bunch of old farts like me complaining how the intertubes screwed everything up.

This is like going to church. (... not that I'm any kind of an authority on that ;-)

User Info Menu

The same German TV session (set up by Norman Granz during a ‘Jazz at the Philharmonic’ tour) also features the unusual combination of Oscar Peterson and Coltrane (and Stan Getz):

User Info Menu

Incidentally, Miles Davis was supposed to play in the ‘Walkin’ clip, but he refused! (Probably over money or something). Norman Granz was used to this kind of thing from Miles, and managed to persuade the TV station to carry on with the rest of the group.

The Jazz Icons DVD booklet covers all this.

User Info Menu

Here’s the other Coltrane track from the session (Miles was supposed to be on this one too!)

Looks as if the rhythm section were plunged into darkness during Coltrane’s solo. Also some TV director overlaid a weird graphic next to Coltrane’s sax, who knows what that was supposed to mean!

User Info Menu

Thanks Graham! After watching these I listened to the 3 takes of Green Dolphin from The Final Tour set. JC was actually a bit subdued here by comparison. Probably from working in a TV/film studio. Or possibly the time of day they made them do it.

I've always been a fan of German Cinema, but that oscilloscope thing was silly and kinda funny. But... Science!

User Info Menu

Was there ever a better rhythm section????

Wynton is my all time favorite player. He just HAD it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    Was there ever a better rhythm section????

Wynton is my all time favorite player. He just HAD it!
    Him behind anyone sounds good. I'll bet I could play over that rhythm section and sound good. Bill Evans, to me, was a better player and had more range. But Wynton Kelly is the one I find myself listening to more often. And the soloists he played behind is basically all of the best from that era.

Amazing how few of the guys from that era made it to my age (43), jazz is a tough life.

User Info Menu

Great solo by Wynton!