The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Heads up for UK folk, BBC4 tonight is showing a Wayne Shorter concert from the London Jazz Festival in 2001. I believe it was his acoustic quartet.

BBC Four - Wayne Shorter at the London Jazz Festival

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

To piggyback on the in memoriam Wayne Shorter threads—I have been on a Wayne kick for a couple of weeks. Actually started with Weather Report before the announcement of his passing.

He is an incredible player whose versatility is astounding and whose humanity and intelligence come through in everything he plays.

It’s a bit of a fool’s game to compare him to other players, but one way to look at it is that he took the baton from Coltrane and carried it way beyond. He had a unique voice that was perhaps not quite as distinctive as Coltrane or Getz, for instance, but still recognizable.

And he was always pushing boundaries. In fact, there were no boundaries for him. Play with an electronic-oriented fusion group? Back a pop star? Sure, no problem. And yet he seemed like a very humble, centered person, in the interviews I’ve come across.

We are lucky to have had him so long in our lives and to have his incredible music to enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Heads up for UK folk, BBC4 tonight is showing a Wayne Shorter concert from the London Jazz Festival in 2001. I believe it was his acoustic quartet.

BBC Four - Wayne Shorter at the London Jazz Festival
    I shall have to hide the remote from my wife.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I shall have to hide the remote from my wife.
    I will take the ‘anything for a peaceful life’ option and watch it later on the iplayer.

User Info Menu

We are probably lucky the BBC even bothered with this in 2001, it appears it was broadcast back then on the ‘BBC Knowledge’ channel which was their initial attempt at a digital platform. I looked it up and it was set up as a children’s learning channel, with ‘bite size’ educational videos for kids etc. So I was baffled that they would show a Wayne Shorter concert on it (although a very educational thing to do, in my opinion!).

Apparently the channel was a bit of a failure, so before phasing it out, they started using it as a test platform for the planned BBC4 and BBC3 digital channels. So that’s the only reason Wayne was broadcast at all, it would seem.

User Info Menu

I've set it up to record.

User Info Menu

iPlayer Accessibility Help

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issue

What a pity !

User Info Menu

There are clever ways to get round that using a VPN or something, I don’t know how you do it though.

User Info Menu

Neither do I

User Info Menu

If you can’t access the iplayer, I think this is probably a copy of the original broadcast in 2001:

User Info Menu

Options include a free VPN, I've got 60GB per month free downloads via

Windscribe - Free VPN and Ad Block

I have no connection with them other than clicking on a free 10GB pm trial a few years ago - they keep asking if I want more...
    lots of other free vpn's are available - this one works on windows, mac, linux, android etc etc, dead easy to set up.

OR...download anything you want (including streams you can't normally download) via

GitHub - yt-dlp/yt-dlp: A youtube-dl fork with additional features and fixes

Marginally more difficult, I use it to DL youtube vids because I'm to tight to pay for ad free
    but won't watch ads, also online courses I pay for but which don't allow you to download stuff.

User Info Menu

Also....missed this post yesterday but caught the gig in 2001 (I think).
    Downloading as we speak...thanks for the heads up.

User Info Menu

I think it's the same quartet ... but 2013...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    If you can’t access the iplayer, I think this is probably a copy of the original broadcast in 2001:

Brilliant, that's it. Phew!

And there's some lovely stuff in the Jazz Vault (which I'd forgotten about). I mean, you don't get Thelonious Monk on Polish television every day :-)

User Info Menu

And not so long ago I heard that because of such musicians people stopped listening to jazz music... it was a few years ago here....progress...
    Last edited by kris; 03-20-2023 at 09:27 AM.

User Info Menu

I think we just have to accept that modern jazz is very intellectual, cerebral music and it's not everyone's cup of tea. In the days when you could dance to jazz it was different. Now people dance to different stuff. Or they like simple folk music or wallowing in sentiment with country music, etc, etc. It's not going to change, there's always something for every kind of person.

Progress is when Albert Ayler makes it to the top ten... if you call that progress :-)

User Info Menu

These are language nuances.
    I listen to early Shorter a lot - it wasn't danceable either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    These are language nuances.
    Agreed, it can be difficult for everyone.

I listen to early Shorter a lot - it wasn't danceable either.
    True, but it was very toe-tapping... like the 'Introducing Wayne Shorter' album... almost like one step away from dancing. Then they moved away from that (although bossa was very audience friendly) but these days, with funk etc, it's gone back to very strong rhythms.

Not that the stuff in between had no rhythm, I don't mean that.

User Info Menu

Nice shot of a Shorter chart, from the video. (This was a couple of minutes from the end.)

Wayne Shorter BBC4 tonight-bbc-four-wayne-shorter-london-jazz-festival-vlc-media-player-21_03_2023-16_22_00-2-png

User Info Menu

That should settle the charts on stage debate.

User Info Menu

As he's the drummer I suppose he's making sure of the pauses, etc.

Helluva thing to read, tho

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    As he's the drummer I suppose he's making sure of the pauses, etc.

Helluva thing to read, tho
    Absolutely. In the late 60's a friend of mine had to hire a dep for a gig in Belfast. The union sent him a fresh faced young boy who didn't know either the band or it's repertoire. He simply asked if they had the brass parts so he could phrase with them. Good drummers, who can read particular parts rather than just drum parts are like gold dust. Luckily enough I know and play with at least three of them.

User Info Menu

Another interesting chart shot, this was on the piano while they were playing 'Sanctuary'.

Wayne Shorter BBC4 tonight-bbc-four-wayne-shorter-london-jazz-festival-vlc-media-player-23_03_2023-15_59_34-png

User Info Menu

Full professionalism.