The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    I've been a fan of McBride for a long time, but his new record "Prime" with his New Jawn is incredible!

Do yourself a favour and listen to this track. It starts out as a pretty nice uptempo number, before the rhythm section melts down into a freer territory while the sax takes its solo, and then restarting everything in a funky breakbeat-type section.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Stunning.

User Info Menu

Someone is watching me....this was suggested when I was reading an
    article about hnefatafl in another tab with this tab open but the video as yet unplayed...

Seems pretty jawn to me ?

Disclaimer - Brit who's never been to Philly.

The Enduring Mystery of ‘Jawn,’ Philadelphia’s All-Purpose Noun

User Info Menu

Sounds good. I'm digging modern jazz these days. When I was in college in the 2000s it seemed like mod jazz had departed too much from the tradition. These days it seems like guys are blending the old and new really well and coming up with exciting and listenable stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Sounds good. I'm digging modern jazz these days. When I was in college in the 2000s it seemed like mod jazz had departed too much from the tradition. These days it seems like guys are blending the old and new really well and coming up with exciting and listenable stuff.
    Right?! I feel like this song is a perfect example of this: The beginning is basically the Woody Shaw version of the tune but the second half is a more modern approach to it. McBride is a killer arranger and he obviously is steeped in tradition.

User Info Menu

Whenever I think "hey, my playing's coming along," I hear something like this and realize "nope." I am still a hack. This is some shiznit.

I am amazed at people who have actual talent. I've heard folks in their early 20s (40 years younger than me) who have a far better understanding of this music and greater facility already than I will ever have, even though I've been working on it for nearly 45 years. And then mix that with 20+ years of experience like Christian McBride and you can get some awesome stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Whenever I think "hey, my playing's coming along," I hear something like this and realize "nope." I am still a hack. This is some shiznit.

I am amazed at people who have actual talent. I've heard folks in their early 20s (40 years younger than me) who have a far better understanding of this music and greater facility already than I will ever have, even though I've been working on it for nearly 45 years. And then mix that with 20+ years of experience like Christian McBride and you can get some awesome stuff.
    You never compare yourself against other people, only against a younger you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ModesSchmodes

Do yourself a favour and listen to this track. It starts out as a pretty nice uptempo number, before the rhythm section melts down into a freer territory while the sax takes its solo, and then restarting everything in a funky breakbeat-type section.
    I hear a trumpet first.

User Info Menu

Just want to point out that we don't say jawn here in Philly as much as it is made out to be. Also, Christian is the king and this new jawn is slaying it.