Posts 51 to 75 of 120

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Apologies to those offended by it.
    I'm trig.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

... but yeah, it was a bit "click-baity" wasn't it? Apologies to those offended by it.
    im in no position to object

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    For chordal playing it's hard to beat piano.

For melody, it's hard to beat tenor saxophone.

Uh, why do I play guitar again? What was I thinking?
    you thought it might make you attractive when you were a teenager and it got completely out of hand?

User Info Menu

Do the players of other instruments long to play other instruments? Or is just a thing among guitarists?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Do the players of other instruments long to play other instruments? Or is just a thing among guitarists?
    How does this make you feel about your own playing?-72c01935-56d7-4ee0-baae-ab6ab3a22e09-jpegHow does this make you feel about your own playing?-d45d9d45-ee16-4ba6-9e2e-530a56306627-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I also like rock/pop so I would like it if I were good at voice and guitar. I'm not though, so I just focus on keys with jazz / art music.

Hey JS, out of curiosity (and stop me if you've posted the answer elsewhere), but why do you frequent a guitar forum if you don't really play the instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    How does this make you feel about your own playing?-72c01935-56d7-4ee0-baae-ab6ab3a22e09-jpegHow does this make you feel about your own playing?-d45d9d45-ee16-4ba6-9e2e-530a56306627-jpeg
    I think Miles' impersonation of Wes wins here...

User Info Menu

Rivalry and competition has spawned most great artists
    I await the absolute reams of evidence you'd need for this to be anything other than a sweeping statement of incredibly grand proportions.

User Info Menu

Elvin did actually record his guitar once:

User Info Menu

Elvin did actually record his guitar once:

man, I love Elvin Jones and now I love him even more!

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    I await the absolute reams of evidence you'd need for this to be anything other than a sweeping statement of incredibly grand proportions.
    Hmm, then how about "many" great artists? No? A few? Or was it just the Brecker Brothers? .... oh, how about that trumpeter back in the 50's that hid his hand under a handkerchief?

OK, now your turn, show me the tranches of evidence that support the implied inverse - that most great artists are not competitive (not even against themselves?).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    you thought it might make you attractive when you were a teenager and it got completely out of hand?
    Because it's the coolest instrument and always will be.

Even in Jazz, Wes Montgomery, the coolest cat in the game.

As for the original video, its very good but 14 year old boys should be out smoking weed, drinking in bus shelters and getting into girl's knickers.
    NOT spending all their time on being a virtuoso sax player!

User Info Menu

Hmm, then how about "many" great artists? No? A few? Or was it just the Brecker Brothers? .... oh, how about that trumpeter back in the 50's that hid his hand under a handkerchief?

OK, now your turn, show me the tranches of evidence that support the implied inverse - that most great artists are not competitive (not even against themselves?).
    No - I'm not making an assumption either way. I think it's a logical fallacy to claim that since someone avers that something might not be the case that person is thereby claiming the exact opposite is true.

In my study of one particular tradition - western classical music - however, I have come to the conclusion that artists have and have had a complex myriad of motivations for creating their art - personal, social, financial, technical etc. these things change over time according to historical conditions, the politics and philosophy of the day etc.

User Info Menu

Hey JS, out of curiosity (and stop me if you've posted the answer elsewhere), but why do you frequent a guitar forum if you don't really play the instrument?
    To participate jazz wise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Unlike the guitar player who has the courtesy to just drool onto their own instrument while they're soloing.
    An aside - I was at a show years ago at the “old” Yoshis in Berkeley and Peter Bernstein was playing his ass off (along with Jimmy Bruno and Frank Vignola) while also sweating waves onto his guitar. It was so bad he received unsolicited offers of handkerchiefs and napkins from the audience - all of which he curiously declined.

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Because it's the coolest instrument and always will be.

Even in Jazz, Wes Montgomery, the coolest cat in the game.

As for the original video, its very good but 14 year old boys should be out smoking weed, drinking in bus shelters and getting into girl's knickers.
    NOT spending all their time on being a virtuoso sax player!
    Nah boss, nothing cool about guitar. It’s a ubiquitous dad instrument, and anyone who actually plays it well is basically a hermit. FACT

User Info Menu

Classical guitar is quite cool, but you are only allowed to do that if you are properly hot.

User Info Menu

Trombonists try and get everyone’s attention after their solo has finished, by dismantling all the plumbing and then producing a funny little bottle of something slippery which they proceed to spray onto the inner workings of their contraption.

(To be fair, this is usually more interesting for the audience than their solo was.)
    Trombonists get my attention by bringing a 4 inch square of cloth to catch the flood from their spit valves and then spraying all over the carpet like ... (I'll work on the metaphor).

User Info Menu

How does this make you feel about your own playing?

It doesn't, it's just some sax player playing fast.

User Info Menu

When I hear such optimistic jazz playing, it puts me in a positive mood for the whole day.
    Thanks for video.

User Info Menu

I once mentioned to a piano player that I envy that they don't have to work on the sound quality and intonation of each note as much as us poor guitar players... He looked at me surprised and said that he always envied guitar players for having a distinct voice and expression opportunities... Made me appreciate what I had for a second.

User Info Menu

Only a second :-)

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    I once mentioned to a piano player that I envy that they don't have to work on the sound quality and intonation of each note as much as us poor guitar players... He looked at me surprised and said that he always envied guitar players for having a distinct voice and expression opportunities... Made me appreciate what I had for a second.
    Yeah, we have no choice but to see it that way - one man's floor is another man's ceiling... and all that....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Classical guitar is quite cool, but you are only allowed to do that if you are properly hot.
    Yeah, when did that happen? Why are all the classical guitarists hot twenty something women?

I won’t pretend to be complaining, but it sure is a weird phenomenon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro