The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sad!!!

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear it.

User Info Menu

Wayne is an era in music

User Info Menu

I just heard it on the news this afternoon. He made it to 89. Not bad going.

User Info Menu

Vale, Mr Shorter!

User Info Menu

Another jazz icon. Thanks for all the great music Wayne Shorter.

User Info Menu

Was he the last living jazz composer whose tunes you could call in any jam session and expect players to know them? Truly the end of an era.

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    Was he the last living jazz composer whose tunes you could call in any jam session and expect players to know them? Truly the end of an era.
    Sonny Rollins is still kicking and would like to have a word with you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ModesSchmodes
    Sonny Rollins is still kicking and would like to have a word with you.
    And Benny Golson is right behind him.

User Info Menu

I guess Herbie Hancock has written a few as well, e.g. Cantaloupe Island, Watermelon Man, Maiden Voyage, Dolphin Dance.

User Info Menu

I have read a lot about his spiritual beliefs. He sounded very unafraid of dying--viewed life as just a stop on a journey through the cosmos.

I wish I could find the quote I recently read. It was in this vein: "My perspective on life is now to try to play music that reflects that life and death are part of the same coin. And to know about life, we must really examine the function - like death. Life tells you a lot about what death is, not what people say it is."

Joe Zawinul told someone once not to ask Wayne a question, because "he'll talk like that for hours."