The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

I saw a trailer for this recently, but the wonderful new documentary 'Wes Bound: The Genius of Wes Montgomery' is now available to watch here:

WTIU Documentaries | Wes Bound: The Genius of Wes Montgomery | PBS

Montgomery was born in Indianapolis on March 6, 1923, and rose from humble beginnings to become one of the greatest jazz guitarists of all time. This first full-length documentary of Wes Montgomery is told through the eyes of his youngest child, Robert Montgomery.

Wes Bound producer/director Kevin Finch and Robert Montgomery interviewed dozens of musicians, family members, and friends for the documentary, including platinum record-selling artist George Benson, rock and roll guitar icon Slash, 20-time Grammy winner Pat Metheny, Russell Malone, Mimi Fox, Grammy winner Lee Ritenour, Steely Dan co-founder Jeff “Skunk” Baxter, Grammy-winning rock guitarist Eric Johnson, second-generation Hampton family musician Pharez Whitted, bassist Larry Ridley (formerly of Indianapolis), Wes’s touring drummer Billy Hart, and others.

In addition to the interviews, the film also features the music of Wes and his famed brothers, bassist Monk Montgomery and pianist and vibraphone player Buddy Montgomery.

TRAILER:

Last edited by David B; 02-28-2023 at 07:33 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't say I care for all the bells and whistles new documentaries contain but you can never have too much Wes, thanks for posting!

At last, something interesting to watch. Getting pretty bored with Netflix. Good find and thanks for letting us all know.

User Info Menu

What the hell is Slash doing in a Wes doco?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    I am surprised Springsteen isn't in it. Aren't we always asking for his philosophy on life in any music documentary?

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting !

I enjoyed that vid, and really enjoyed how it portrayed WM's Midwest roots. His brother Buddy lived and played around Milwaukee and it was nice they included his widow. Buddy was just that nice a guy too. The part about WM's heart issues and heart Doctor was a real eye opener. Never heard or saw that mentioned anywhere. ( I'd be more specific but rather not spoil that part for anyone. )

Thanks again !

User Info Menu

Dave Stryker tribute concert - link from same site...

Recorded before a live audience in the WTIU studio, the concert features the IU Jacobs School of Music Jazz Ensemble, under the direction of Associate Professor Brent Wallarab, and a performance by the celebrated jazz trio of guitarist Dave Stryker, organist Bobby Floyd, and drummer Sean Dobbins. Discover the genius of Wes Montgomery through his music and interviews with the concert performers.
    Aired: 02/23/23
    Expires: 03/26/23
    Rating: NR

WTIU Documentaries | Wes Montgomery at 100 (Membership) | WTIU PBS

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link!

Yes, the legacy of Wes Montgomery deserves to be celebrated - happy centennial birthday wishes from this side of the pond!

User Info Menu

If you watch through the credits, you'll see this was produced by Jim Hall. Raise a glass to the legacies of both of them. Thank you

User Info Menu

He's got a really good agent, that's what, and that's all. It's another bank, telephone company and whatever sellable product commercial.

User Info Menu

Why can't Slash like Wes Montgomery?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I think a lot of people do. I know a lot of people do. It did seem a little incongruous to me, wondering why this very disparate figure was included in the documentary though. I didn't think he added anything except a celebrity recognized figure nodding his approval of something I'd liked to have known his personal and stylistic connection to.
    There was a documentary a while ago, I don't remember who the subject was, but interspersed within were little clips of celebrities, even a former POTUS lauding this musician's genius. Well if they did a special on the genius of Claude Monet, or Alexander Calder and Slash threw in his excitement and blessings fresh off of a commercial for Capital One, I'd certainly wonder what this had to do with the art and artist that is being explored.
    It just seemed weird.

What do you see as the illuminating connection that Slash brings to Wes's legacy. What did his appearance add for you? I am curious :-)

User Info Menu

This sounds like the setup for a dad joke.

User Info Menu

Shouldn't Dave Grohl be in this? Missed opportunity IMO.

I watched this last night, and came away feeling I didn't get a much better understanding of Wes and his playing. I don't know about anyone else, but when all others do is heap praise on someone it gets a little tedious. We don't need continuously reminding about how great he was. We already know that. I would much rather have had more sound bites of his playing, and little more analysis of where he was coming from stylistically, and how he approached his music and playing.

Interestingly, the topic of eidetic memory came up. Wes, like many great players, had the ability to hear something once and then play it faithfully. Now, this may come from the way they learned, which was aurally. Listening repeatedly to the same thing and gradually developing faster assimilation of ideas. It's also possible his brain was wired that way.

According to Wikipedia, eidetic memory is something kids have and then lose as they learn language. Photographic memory is a similar very detailed visual recall in adults, but has not been proven to exist, apparently. I was a bit surprised by that claim as some savants do seem to display superhuman abilities in this field. There was only a small reference to this heightened memory ability being applied to other senses like listening. I think great musicianship, while not being dependent on great memory, it certainly helps a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I think a lot of people do. I know a lot of people do. It did seem a little incongruous to me, wondering why this very disparate figure was included in the documentary though. I didn't think he added anything except a celebrity recognized figure nodding his approval of something I'd liked to have known his personal and stylistic connection to.
    There was a documentary a while ago, I don't remember who the subject was, but interspersed within were little clips of celebrities, even a former POTUS lauding this musician's genius. Well if they did a special on the genius of Claude Monet, or Alexander Calder and Slash threw in his excitement and blessings fresh off of a commercial for Capital One, I'd certainly wonder what this had to do with the art and artist that is being explored.
    It just seemed weird.

What do you see as the illuminating connection that Slash brings to Wes's legacy. What did his appearance add for you? I am curious :-)
    Having him pop up in a Monet or Calder doc wouldn't work, you would want Ron Wood to be the musician/painter talking head in those movies. You put a famous talking head in so people watch the film. This is the balance of art vs product.

User Info Menu

Watched this last night as well. Several impressions: the video editor was very creative in making the most of thevisuals he/she had at hand and the clips, graphics and animations enhanced the story. It was produced for th general public - not musicians - to honor a local hero so the nitty gritty musical elements were minimized. Structurally, it perhaps needed a more experienced producer as the storytelling wasn't always as strong as possible - especially the ending. Their access to clips of Wes in action may have been limited by their budget. Overall, I enjoyed it and think that it's great that Wes is so well remembered and introduced to a new generation of listeners.

User Info Menu

Is this the Wes documentary we’ve been waiting 2 years for?

Well, nonetheless I purchased the Blu Ray. Anything helping to keep PBS stations alive, I’m all for it.

As was said, you can’t have too much Wes.

User Info Menu

You probably know this, but his mother was Ola Hudson, who was one of the most famous rock music fashion designers of the 60's/70's. She worked for and was romantically involved with David Bowie for awhile. His father was a well-known album cover designer (Neil Young, Joni Mitchell). Not sure that this explains why he's in a Wes video, just some random facts I came across.

Slash did mention in an interview that he became obsessed with Wes Montgomery after he sobered up and got away from the chaos of GNR.

Slash & learn: Drug-free rocker evolves – Baltimore Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Saumarez
    Interestingly, the topic of eidetic memory came up. Wes, like many great players, had the ability to hear something once and then play it faithfully. Now, this may come from the way they learned, which was aurally. Listening repeatedly to the same thing and gradually developing faster assimilation of ideas. It's also possible his brain was wired that way.

According to Wikipedia, eidetic memory is something kids have and then lose as they learn language. Photographic memory is a similar very detailed visual recall in adults, but has not been proven to exist, apparently. I was a bit surprised by that claim as some savants do seem to display superhuman abilities in this field. There was only a small reference to this heightened memory ability being applied to other senses like listening. I think great musicianship, while not being dependent on great memory, it certainly helps a lot.
    I agree a great memory is a huge benefit for playing an instrument, though not a guarantee of success.

When I lived in La Crosse I knew a well-known person with an eidetic or hyperthymestic memory, Brad Williams. He was the subject of a film documentary and a 60 Minutes segment. He is said to have one of the best memories ever studied--he can remember almost every day of his life, easily naming the day of the week, date, month, and year of innumerable personal and public events. He can remember every time he ever met with someone.

He is a radio guy and interviewed me a couple of times for his talk shows about medical issues. Super nice guy, and without the hangups people with "photographic memories" are supposed to have. His hobby is acting in local plays.

User Info Menu

Carlos Santana wasn't available that day...

User Info Menu

I'm glad someone finally described his right thumb. I'd try to find and watch every vid of his and noticed early on how it looked like he'd never bend that thumb at the first joint. He bent it at the second joint. This was the first explanation I've heard that he was somehow double jointed - at least at that joint.

I'd also never heard at all that he'd had that serious conversation w/ his heart Doc about ( no longer ) touring.

45 years old - what a shame.

User Info Menu

"Days of Guns N' Roses":

User Info Menu

he can like him but he's an unusual choice to be in the doc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    "Days of Guns N' Roses":

hehe

User Info Menu

Really good point made in this video about the debt Wes' block chord soloing owed to the quarter note sound common to big band arranging.