The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    What the hell is Slash doing in a Wes doco?
    Why shouldn't a guitar player - and a talented one at that - not be both curious and interested in another guitar player albeit from a different genre. I don't know if Slash aspires to play like Wes but why the hell not? And even if he simply observes it from the sidelines, surely jazz is not that precious?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Why shouldn't a guitar player - and a talented one at that - not be both curious and interested in another guitar player albeit from a different genre. I don't know if Slash aspires to play like Wes but why the hell not? And even if he simply observes it from the sidelines, surely jazz is not that precious?
    He really didn't add anything unique or give any new insight into the music of Wes, what it is that he took from Wes that helped create a new aspect of the music. That's what I'd hope for in a 1 hour documentary.

Saying "I'm famous and I need a lot of money too" is a distraction and a waste of footage space.
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 03-02-2023 at 08:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    One thing that I have come to realize is that although I like a lot other musician's music I cannot play like them. For the most part I don't even aspire to do so. I just let their stuff influence me then I do what I can do coming from my own perspective. It doesn't bother me that I can't cover a GnR song. But that isn't exactly fair since I don't like GnR's music anyway. Not being a snob. It just never moved me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    He really didn't add anything unique or give any new insight into the music of Wes, what it is that he took from Wes that helped create a new aspect of the music. That's what I'd hope for in a 1 hour documentary: an informed look at a man and his music, what made him exceptional and in what ways he touched those many artists who made their own way from what Wes had given them.
    I'd like to know some speculation about what made Wes so unique and have that portrait of him supported by people who've woven their own creative arc from the fabric Wes provided.

Saying "I'm famous and he was cool too" is a distraction and a waste of footage space. If Pete Townsend had been shown to have jazz based roots that he would show his early works and evolution from (which he could well do; Pete's got a very decent and genuine origin story and respect for chord solo jazz that Wes was a part of), I'd have nodded and been grateful to see the diversity of musicality. That would have shown a genuine kinship. But "We both play guitar and I'll impart credibility to this guy you're making a movie of because I'm more well known and MY branding will be good for your little movie", it just annoyed me.

I guess you can also point out that Wes was accused of selling out when he stopped playing jazz. OK yeah. I get the Slash connection.
    Wes never sold out. He had 7 kids to feed. Russell Malone said it all. “There’s no virtue in being a virtuoso.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    He really didn't add anything unique or give any new insight into the music of Wes, what it is that he took from Wes that helped create a new aspect of the music. That's what I'd hope for in a 1 hour documentary.

Saying "I'm famous and I need a lot of money too" is a distraction and a waste of footage space.
    I can see that Slash might not have delivered what you hoped for, but bearing in mind that it seems highly unlikely that he was paid for his contribution, is it not interesting that this 'rock god' really seems to appreciate this music? Is that not sufficient endorsement? I find it quite heartening.

User Info Menu

I always loved Wes---thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

If you haven’t watched the concert performance with Dave Stryker, please do, it’s a treat. Dave plays flawlessly, and seeming to flow from one classic tune to the next with endless tasty lines in Wes’ style, while sounding original and uncontrived, and no clams. Really a flawless performance that reflects his mastery and time on the instrument.

And those college kids! Mature, tasteful soloing and timing, not to mention the great arrangements and ensemble playing. The whole thing is impressive. Dave said it will be available on dvd later in the year from PBS, but I think it should be released as an album. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Carlos Santana wasn't available that day...
    Carlos was a huge Wes fan. I’d much rather have heard from him!