The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Last edited by SOLR; 02-22-2023 at 07:56 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow. Finger style even. There’s not many who can burn like that, fingers only. Maybe the French player Sylvan Courtney.

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Wow. Finger style even. There’s not many who can burn like that, fingers only. Maybe the French player Sylvan Courtney.
    Well now that you mentioned Sylvain

User Info Menu

Interesting to see his technique evolve over the last few years. When I first found him he'd plant his thumb on the edge of the pickup and go IM for the fast linear runs. He'd have to switch to what he's doing here for things with wider intervals or if he wanted to do more on the low E. This is a much better way to go: everything available all the time.

And the scrunchies gone!! I never dug that. He now mutes with base of his palm since it's not up in the air. Opens up some new possibilities. That walking base & chord thing going out is as impressive as any of it, and it sounds really right.

I look for more than chops and I think this kid's got a whole lot more than that. Sure he's playing blisteringly fast, but I hear music. It's going to be fun to watch going forward. 10 years from now he's Julian's age.

5 years ago:

User Info Menu

Wow! I haven't been impressed like that for a while.

User Info Menu

I dig the live footage. Shows him to be more than an Instagram hot house flower (Insta studio tracks can hide a multitude of sins haha.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    ...(Insta studio tracks can hide a multitude of sins haha.)

... Just like a lot of distortion can

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    ... Just like a lot of distortion can
    Quite true. He plays some Weather Report around 7:10. Good clean guitar sound. It's one of the things I like about him compared to some other young guys that've been posted here lately. He sounds like guitar instead of synthesizer.

User Info Menu

Yeah matteo sounds great clean too I’m afraid. Also some of my favourite playing of his is on nylon where he has a distinctly Ralph Towner vibe.

I would say that he hasn’t quite found his voice yet maybe? He seems like someone who can do lots of different things but hasn’t quite found a focus yet but there’s time….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Interesting to see his technique evolve over the last few years. When I first found him he'd plant his thumb on the edge of the pickup and go IM for the fast linear runs. He'd have to switch to what he's doing here for things with wider intervals or if he wanted to do more on the low E. This is a much better way to go: everything available all the time.
    I saw a video about his right-hand technique where he demonstrated both approaches and said he uses them both (I don't remember why).

From 3 weeks ago.

User Info Menu

Love it... thanks Frank

User Info Menu

flamenco techniques tutorial

1. Grow long nails

User Info Menu

Quite true. He plays some Weather Report around 7:10. Good clean guitar sound. It's one of the things I like about him compared to some other young guys that've been posted here lately. He sounds like guitar instead of synthesizer.
    Yes, near flawless and seemingly effortless articulation, clean or dirty. Actually I would have thought playing a distorted tone with fingers would be hard to avoid finger grabbing noises. Anyway, Matteo has almost the whole package, not just technique! If he can compose great tunes and lead great bands once he finds his path, you just sense he's capable of cementing a place among the modern greats. I know I'll be keeping my eye on him from here on.

a recent video where he's mixing finger styles

S

User Info Menu

Fantastic player, a breath of musical fresh air.

I can't really see in the video, but is Matteo Mancuso playing with 4 fingers and his thumb?

The Five Finger technique. EDIT: NO HE DOES NOT USE THE FIVE FINGER TECHNIQUE.

Last edited by GuyBoden; 03-20-2023 at 08:07 AM.

User Info Menu

He's excellent. He's coming of age in sort of a difficult time for talented young guitar players, the fogeys are all going to be like "why doesn't he just play jazz" and a lot of the folks his age are probably digging Polyphia. So he'll probably need to remain a chameleon or pick a route to explore further and end up pissing somebody off.

At least he's playing live. That's the "proof is in the pudding" moment right there, and this is damn good pudding. Cook and serve, none of that instant shit.

That's American humor. I know the Brits call anything that isn't meat or vegetables pudding, unless those are made into actual pudding, or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    He's excellent. He's coming of age in sort of a difficult time for talented young guitar players, the fogeys are all going to be like "why doesn't he just play jazz" and a lot of the folks his age are probably digging Polyphia. So he'll probably need to remain a chameleon or pick a route to explore further and end up pissing somebody off.

At least he's playing live. That's the "proof is in the pudding" moment right there, and this is damn good pudding. Cook and serve, none of that instant shit.

That's American humor. I know the Brits call anything that isn't meat or vegetables pudding, unless those are made into actual pudding, or something.
    Heathen

User Info Menu

Brilliant guitarist...but he plays Bob Mintzer's solo../first post/.
    bravo Bob...:-)

User Info Menu

Great player!

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Brilliant guitarist...but he plays Bob Mintzer's solo../first post/.
    bravo Bob...:-)

Ha, ha, I had to go and listen to Bob's solo too....IT's amazing.....

S

User Info Menu

I stumbled across this vid that is a compilation of a bunch of his interviews where he discusses his right-hand technique and when he uses IM vs PIMA. It even includes slowed-down examples.

In more recent video, it looks like he has ditched the thumb-rest that sits between the neck and tail PUP. I have never seen that gizmo before - is it a common part or his own invention?

User Info Menu

Interesting clip! Thanks for posting. So I was wrong in that he's still switching them around. And what I thought was alternating IM isn't that at all. 'Economy finger style' and sometimes more IMA. Like he said somewhere in there: I don't think about my right hand when I'm playing. It's a real mess!

Sure don't sound messy to me :-)

I think the the thumb bar would be his idea. First clip I saw from him (Donna Lee?) he's planting his thumb on bridge pickup ring. Maybe he tried the bar for a while and then went back?

User Info Menu

This interview is good:

User Info Menu

This might be of interest: