Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 96

User Info Menu

man, check out this one...Julian is really one of the greats already:

cheers
    jules

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not to be snarky, but this would be a great illustration for the “why people hate jazz” thread.

Honest question: if you like this, why? Does it say something to you?

I’ve learned to love abstract art. Maybe my ear just needs the same type of education my eyes have gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartF
    Not to be snarky, but this would be a great illustration for the “why people hate jazz” thread.

I’ve learned to love abstract art. Maybe my ear just needs the same type of education my eyes have gotten.
    well, just the phrasing, the rhythm, the notes he picks, the interaction with jorge and eric...it's the possible level of musicality...plus it is still incredibly melodic, right?

User Info Menu

That video (a tune called 'The Rambler' if I'm not mistaken) is ok, but personally I prefer this video, which I've been listening to quite regularly recently:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    That video (a tune called 'The Rambler' if I'm not mistaken) is ok, but personally I prefer this video, which I've been listening to quite regularly recently:

That video is incredible.
    And amazing how much fun they have playing together.

User Info Menu

I do like this one a lot. Thanks for posting it. I was ready to write him off.

User Info Menu

Julian's rig rundown ... Tele content ...

User Info Menu

It strikes me as kind of fun, throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, kind of Danny Gatton on shrooms, or something. When I think of "why people hate jazz" , I think of things that are a lot more self-serious than that. Anyway, this really is just one aspect of Lage. There's a huge span to what he does. Here's an example of something almost entirely different sounding (yet driven by what strikes me as a similar approach and aesthetic).

And the same in a group setting

Putting it more simply, check out the look on his face when he plays live. He's clearly enjoying himself and the interaction with the band, and is trying to convey the joy inside him to others. If you just listen to a recording, maybe that doesn't come through, but it does in a performance.
    Last edited by John A.; 02-21-2023 at 01:22 PM.

User Info Menu

At my mother’s suggestion, I sang “Emily” for an audition long before I knew it was a standard. It’s been a favorite ever since.

Both of those are excellent renditions.

When I think of the "why people hate jazz" , I think of things that are a lot more self-serious than that.

That’s exactly right. The band should never give the impression that the music is for them instead of the audience.

User Info Menu

Wow that was awesome. Makes me want a tele with a PAF in the neck...

And his take on "Emily" is my favorite.

User Info Menu

Yeah, "...kind of Danny Gatton on shrooms..,"

User Info Menu

The Rambler? Who wrote it?

I enjoy it. It's not too far out of the mainstream for me. I can see how some naive people might not get it. It's highly musical, though certainly more abstract than My Funny Valentine.

Reminds me of the Zappa/Beefheart song:

Sam with the showing scalp flat top,
    particular about the point it made.
    Why, when I was knee-high to a grasshopper,
    this black juice came out on a hard shelled chin.
    And they called that ‘tobacco juice’.

I used to fiddle with my back feet music for a black onyx.
    My entire room absorbed every echo.
    The music was… thud like. The music was… thud like.

I usually played such things as rough-neck and thug.
    Opaque melodies that would bug most people.
    Music from the other side of the fence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    The Rambler? Who wrote it?

I enjoy it. It's not too far out of the mainstream for me. I can see how some naive people might not get it. It's highly musical, though certainly more abstract than My Funny Valentine.

Reminds me of the Zappa/Beefheart song:

Sam with the showing scalp flat top,
    particular about the point it made.
    Why, when I was knee-high to a grasshopper,
    this black juice came out on a hard shelled chin.
    And they called that ‘tobacco juice’.

I used to fiddle with my back feet music for a black onyx.
    My entire room absorbed every echo.
    The music was… thud like. The music was… thud like.

I usually played such things as rough-neck and thug.
    Opaque melodies that would bug most people.
    Music from the other side of the fence.
    'The Rambler' or, as I've since discovered, is actually called 'The Ramble', which I think is the tune in the OP, was written by Lage himself.

User Info Menu

…. The band should never give the impression that the music is for them instead of the audience.
    Conversely, I think it was Wynton Marsalis (or maybe Branford) who said (paraphrasing) “the first listener is always the player”.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Conversely, I think it was Wynton Marsalis (or maybe Branford) who said (paraphrasing) “the first listener is always the player”.
    great quote but the unfortunate truth is that it's all the listeners after that one who pay the rent.

agreed with the critics above...id be salty if i paid to see that vid at the top. ive seen enough of lage to know he's an absolute monster, but this...and his stuff with frisell...is an absolute slog to get through.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spencer096
    great quote but the unfortunate truth is that it's all the listeners after that one who pay the rent.

agreed with the critics above...id be salty if i paid to see that vid at the top. ive seen enough of lage to know he's an absolute monster, but this...and his stuff with frisell...is an absolute slog to get through.
    I love Lage (all his electric stuff), but agree... some of the tunes I have to FFWD. It's too bop-py for me. I could listen to that video above in the restaurant all day, or tunes he does like Emily, Ryland, Etude... but sometimes Julian can get bit "too out" for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I love Lage (all his electric stuff), but agree... some of the tunes I have to FFWD. It's too bop-py for me. I could listen to that video above in the restaurant all day, or tunes he does like Emily, Ryland, Etude... but sometimes Julian can get bit "too out" for me.
    Really?! Lage doesn't sound at all 'out' to me in the OP, let alone 'too out'.

User Info Menu

Wow, I've heard for the first time something by Julian that I actually thoroughly disliked.

User Info Menu

Really?! Lage doesn't sound at all 'out' to me in the OP, let alone 'too out'.
    I thought it was a spoof video where the playing was "carefully replayed really bad"... I still do, it is that bad.

User Info Menu

"The Ramble" is from his second trio album, "Modern Lore". I always thought this was his most accessible record. He lost me on some of his new things when I listen to them on record, but it's still great to hear and see him live.

BTW it's telling that the 1.000.000th version of "Another you" - actually quite "bop-py" in that it's completely within that idiom - gets more love here than some original and creative music. Sure it's beautifully played but nothng out of the ordinary. Reminds me of someone who honestly wrote that he was looking forward to Julian recording a standards album with an archtop. I'm sure he could - but why should he?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by julesjules
    man, check out this one...Julian is really one of the greats already:

cheers
    jules
    Nice guy, and one of the modern greats perhaps, but I'm pretty sure this is him just havin' a bit of fun, maybe channeling some of his early Rock influences?

User Info Menu

I do not care for solos isolated from the rest of the song. You need to hear the whole to appreciate the value of the part.

I'm actually a bit surprised at the reactions to the OP here, but different ears I guess... I agree with James, I don't think Julian sounds at all 'out' or ... masturbatory I guess? Which is what I believe people hint at when they say they don't like jazz. I mean, he can get really out there, less so on his solo records I think than say with John Zorn.

But aside from that, I don't really know what people in here don't like about this solo. I've only read that they don't but not exactly why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I thought it was a spoof video where the playing was "carefully replayed really bad"... I still do, it is that bad.

My thoughts exactly.
    Eddie Van Halen. He's GOD! He can't do ANYTHING wrong!
    Wow!
    Amazing!
    Check this out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ModesSchmodes
    I don't really know what people in here don't like about this solo. I've only read that they don't but not exactly why.
    That's fair; I can't speak for others but I'll try to explain my feeling about it.

It is not so much about the solo itself; it is about the one doing it. If I heard some kid playing it with his garage band I might imagine that he had some future potential.and was just goofing off. When Lage does it he's departed from what we know he is capable.

It reminds me of the Wes video playing 'round Midnight in Europe - serious audience, serious suits and ties all around, serious jazz music, and an exceptional example of what Wes was capable of doing musically.

Then one day seeing this from the Hollywood Palace - game show audience with patronizing host, damn ridiculous orange suit, pop song Wendy good God, and limited playing that could have been anyone with two years on the instrument.