The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

A lovely singer, and artist. Meet Ms Samara Joy. Grammy winner. 22.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I met her some time back. A great talent.

User Info Menu

Yes please! A quick martini would be grand. Sorry to hear about your day. Is there anything I can do to help?

User Info Menu

Beautiful tone, phrasing, and expression. I hear a lot of SV in there. But I seem to get tired of her constant fast fluttering vibrato. JMO.

User Info Menu

been following her from the beginning.Thanks for posting

User Info Menu

It's been great to follow her development since she was at Purchase College a few years ago. She got up to sing at a workshop Pasquale Grasso was giving and they've been regular collaborators since.

I saw her live in London in 2021, touring her first album, 'Samara Joy' and everyone was blown away. The voice, the crowd work, it's all there.

There's a great article by Nate Chinen last month that goes into detail about her career and development to date, and how via the skilful use of social media, she's been able to develop audiences in a way that few jazz artists have. LINK: Samara Joy's brisk rise from jazz prodigy to Grammy nominee : NPR

She's got great musicians on both her albums - Pasquale Grasso, Ari Roland, Kenny Washington, Ben Paterson, David Wong, Tyrell Stafford and others.

She's made some changes to her live band in recent months and is now using piano live, rather than guitar.

This is a great full set from 2021, in which she's backed by Pasquale Grasso, Ari Roland and Keith Balla.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Amazing singer. Discovered her last year, and she is simply fantastic.

The 2nd song, Autumn Nocturne was exceptional. She sounds a bit like a very young Sarah Vaughan. Amazing talent beyond her youth.

Great to see her recognized by the Grammys, and to finally get another jazz singer. Her pianist and bassist are exceptional.

User Info Menu

Two years ago in college.

User Info Menu

Now at 1.2 million YouTube views!

User Info Menu

Exceptional young talent and the Sarah Vaughn comparison is apt. She does have a wider vibrato than is fashionable these days.

An interview on Samara’s background and how she came to jazz:

User Info Menu

Paris, November 2021. The great Luigi Grasso sitting in with the band.

User Info Menu

Her latest tour (AFAIK) was with Emmet Cohen, who is a great pianist. His weekly livestreams are well worth watching.

User Info Menu

Sorry 2B, her Spring Seattle concert is sold out!

User Info Menu

If anyone wants vinyl of her 2021 debut on Whirlwind Recordings, they have just announced two limited edition re-presses, due out next month. Gold and multi-coloured splatter.

Link: http://bit.ly/3IPYi11

She's backed by Pasquale Grasso, Ari Roland and Kenny Washington on this recording.

Meet Samara Joy-0031512723_10-jpg

Meet Samara Joy-0031512758_10-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    If anyone wants vinyl of her 2021 debut on Whirlwind Recordings, they have just announced two limited edition re-presses, due out next month. Gold and multi-coloured splatter.

Link: http://bit.ly/3IPYi11

She's backed by Pasquale Grasso, Ari Roland and Kenny Washington on this recording.

Meet Samara Joy-0031512723_10-jpg

Meet Samara Joy-0031512758_10-jpg
    Coming out of Czech Republic no doubt. They’ve a major factory over there.