The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Currently I’m transcribing MVI solos and comping from his lesson series on DC Music School. I really love his sound. I also really like Bruce Forman a lot and notice both of these players have a pretty heavy right hand picking technique.

I’ve seen the blog posts on Dutchbopper’s site which describe his simple ES-125 and Fender tube amp sound. Very grateful for Dutchbopper’s contributions because there is a dearth of information on MVI to be found.

Not mentioned anywhere is the pick he uses. It is a red pick, shaped like a typical 351 size, and seems to be thinner as best I can tell, like maybe in the 0.73 range.

If anyone has any information to share about MVI, I’d love to hear it. He is one of my favorites. He and Joe Cohn, another player that I wish I could out more about.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rdlmd
    Currently I’m transcribing MVI solos and comping from his lesson series on DC Music School. I really love his sound. I also really like Bruce Forman a lot and notice both of these players have a pretty heavy right hand picking technique.

I’ve seen the blog posts on Dutchbopper’s site which describe his simple ES-125 and Fender tube amp sound. Very grateful for Dutchbopper’s contributions because there is a dearth of information on MVI to be found.

Not mentioned anywhere is the pick he uses. It is a red pick, shaped like a typical 351 size, and seems to be thinner as best I can tell, like maybe in the 0.73 range.

If anyone has any information to share about MVI, I’d love to hear it. He is one of my favorites. He and Joe Cohn, another player that I wish I could out more about.
    All great players IMHO. Why don't you email DB, he lives out there.

User Info Menu

Martijn is awesome. If I can some day do 50% of what he can do, I’ll die happy.

User Info Menu

How to Play Like Martijn Van Iterson

I love MVI's playing as well ... here's a previous thread on this very forum.

User Info Menu

So, I thought I had posted this some months back, but cannot find it.

I’m currently enjoying Martijn’s book of his original tunes that he published a couple of years ago, and which comes with a CD of his recorded examples (not the album versions) of the tunes included.

So, you get the 16 leadsheets with the very interesting changes as he wrote them to help you tune your listening and transcription chops, the recorded examples of him comping and soloing to his own music, and the pleasure of supporting a fine artist … nicely presented in a hard bound book, autographed by the artist!

Highly recommended!

Martijn van Iterson Songbook Vol 1 (2018 hardcover edition, CD included, €49,95) – Martijn van Iterson

Yes, his songbook is great. It's a high quality product and personally signed. It is very interesting to hear him play these songs only accompanied by himself or otherwise unaccompanied. I don't know of any other product like this. It's very interesting to hear how he interprets the harmony with his comping and also he improvises different solos. He didn't just isolate the guitar tracks from the recording I don't think. This sounds like a totally new / separate recording project. I agree, this is well worth it if you are a fan of MVI. Plus, it supports him.

Appreciate the responses. At this point he would probably be the most influential player in my development as I have spent more time transcribing his work than any other musician thus far.

If anyone else has any more insightful information to share, keep it coming. Dutch Bopper has done us all a great service by his blog posts on MVI (and many others).

User Info Menu

MVI is pretty much embodies everything good about jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rdlmd

Damn - no TAB!!!

User Info Menu

MVI is wonderful and has a great touch. He knows how to play the melody and improvise so that it sounds integrated, not just play the melody and then go off on a guitar diarrhea solo. To the point in the a Gibson 125 and amp, no need for anything wild and expensive.

User Info Menu

Just took our seats in the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam to see Martijn with the JotC. Couldn’t resist to take a look at his trusry old Gibson. Can’ wait to hear him play tonight!

Did you notice if he uses flatwound or roundwound strings?

User Info Menu

That looks like a Dunlop 500 Delrin 1.14mm

User Info Menu

Chews gum, looks like a doorman, plays like a dream :-)

Quote Originally Posted by edpirie
    That looks like a Dunlop 500 Delrin 1.14mm
    Close! I found an old Facebook post where MVI stated he used the Dunlop 500 Delrin 0.96 mm picks. I ordered some and I like them. They help get close to his sound. In conjunction with the P90 pickup you're pretty close. But, nailing his phrasing and picking dynamics and swing...well, that will take a lot more work.