The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Lovely playing from Vinny and cool to hear and compare such sought-after instruments.

Last edited by AndyV; 01-28-2023 at 11:01 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting that. An enjoyable way to start the day. Can anybody identify the songs Vinny plays? Especially the second to last one played on the 1936?

User Info Menu

The last tune is But Beautiful. A couple of the others sounded vaguely familiar but I couldn’t put a name to them.

He starts out with Dark Eyes (Ochi Chornya)

User Info Menu

First tune is “I’m Beginning To See The Light.”

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    He starts out with Dark Eyes (Ochi Chornya)
    Ah, Django played it, that’s where I’ve heard it.

User Info Menu

Truly wonderful! I’d love to know the history of #1. Has it been maintained that well since 1932 without periods of wear and restoration?

The question I raised in an earlier thread about this year’s fall Philly guitar show about the screw eye in the neck is also answered in this video. The original on the ‘49 in the video appears to be heavier than what looked to me like a cheap modern one, and it’s surrounded by a metal cup washer (which I don’t think was on the one for sale at the show). I still wonder at the basic (or even banal) use of a screw eye on an instrument so otherwise well appointed. But at least the original seems to have been of good quality.

Ah, Django played it, that’s where I’ve heard it.
    It was an early Soundie hit for Les Paul and also appears in Mickey Baker's jazz guitar tutorial book.

User Info Menu

I prefer the archtop :-)

Seriously though, I really love the sound of a fine acoustic archtop played with a pick.

While I wouldn't show any of these the door if there was some way I could have one, my fave sound of the 4 is #3: 1936.
    It just scratches my itch. YMMV.

User Info Menu

As the caretaker of three original DA's, one could come to my home for a similar demonstration, but be assured my playing is not quite as stellar as Vinny's playing is in this video. What a great treat to hear these masterpiece guitars played by a master!

User Info Menu

Nice to hear Bach on archtop - something I’ve done a few times. Nice guitars. Nice playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Bach on archtop - something I’ve done a few times.
    And I really enjoyed your clips when you posted those. I think it was the Elf? That sounded pretty spectacular.

User Info Menu

Can’t remember - I’m getting forgetful…I think…

User Info Menu

That first blonde is an amazing sounding guitar.

Very nice to hear these 4DA in action ! i m the lucky caretaker of a 42 Excel, and i might be looking for another old DA, any one around here considers selling one?
    cheers

User Info Menu

But of course the video is to promote sales of guitars manufactured by the company that currently owns the legal rights to the name "D'Angelico guitars". This video and others on their website implies an association and historical link with their products and those made by John D'Angelico which does not exist.
    They could sell that title to Daisy Rock and Daisy Rock could change nothing but the label on their current product line and they'd be D'Angelico guitars.
    They're not necessarily bad guitars but they've no connection with John D nor anyone who apprenticed under him.