The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rhoda didn't get as much attention here in the states as she should as a result of spending most of her career in Europe, but what an amazing B-3 player she is, my goodness...She's a little unconventional in style, similar to Shirley Scott and more recently Barbera Dennerlin in that she plays most of the bass line w her left foot as opposed to most jazz organists that employ a dominant left hand bass and use pedals more for accents.
    But if you have the time at least watch from the beginning through her version of Ebb Tide, a big showcase for organists back in the day, money back if not delighted...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So true.
    She's still touring these days
    Watch her and her fabulous band in Marciac last summer :

User Info Menu

Good stuff. My teacher showed her to me. Looks like she cooks foot bass and has a lil tenor part with her left hand.

I also noticed that when she squabbles, the technique used on autumn leavz, she plays the chords with her right hand. My teacher taught me to just hit white keys in the middle with the melody on the outside octave. I decided to try both techniques but looks like a master has already done that.

User Info Menu

Loved Rhoda's playing for years!

Kindly ignore my ,"only watch from the beginning through Ebb Tide" comment, I got to see the the rest of the video and it's at least as good. Like really. good...

User Info Menu

In a different vein, but a video of another great woman organist that I really enjoy:

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    In a different vein, but a video of another great woman organist that I really enjoy:

she came to one of my gigs once

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG

I like her clips too. She's good. Check out her chording. She got BH goin on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    So true.
    She's still touring these days
    Watch her and her fabulous band in Marciac last summer
    Kickin' ass at 84! And looking mighty fine doin' it.