The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Tony explains his method for doing Shenandoah

glad I have premium, no ads, pure music

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting idea for for an introduction that adds some contrast and tension to the song, rather than just starting the song in the home key and playing an arrangement of the song that sounds like it came out of Mel Bay, like some players do, who will remain unnamed, because we don't want to cause any controversy.
    Heaven forbid!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Interesting idea for for an introduction that adds some contrast and tension to the song, rather than just starting the song in the home key and playing an arrangement of the song that sounds like it came out of Mel Bay, like some players do, who will remain unnamed, because we don't want to cause any controversy.
    Heaven forbid!
    Hey, I like Johnny Smith!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=sgcim;1244650]Interesting idea for for an introduction that adds some contrast and tension to the song /QUOTE]

Legendary player. You might expect an introduction to a tune to bear some relation to the tune itself. Otherwise it might seem like the guitarist has indulged in a bit of - to use Tony's phrase - 'noodling' for a minute or so before starting to play something that sounds totally unrelated to the 'noodling'. It's not as if there isn't much harmonic movement to explore in Shendoah. On the other hand maybe a bit of static modal Am noodling was what he felt like doing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Hey, I like Johnny Smith!
    I definitely was NOT referring to JS...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I definitely was NOT referring to JS...
    Whew! Had me going....

User Info Menu

Gorgeous!!

User Info Menu

Tony had unique feel. Very nice.

User Info Menu

That was really nice. It's great to hear what he could do beyond the bluegrass thing. And that tone.. I got rid of my Martin dreads, now I want to go out and buy one again.

User Info Menu

I love it. It might be my favorite from the Great American Songbook