The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I just heard from a friend that the great West Coast studio player Dennis Budimir has passed. He started out as a jazz player, and then got involved in the recording studio scene, and was considered to be part of the Wrecking Crew scene. RIP.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rest In Peace Dennis Budimir. An all time favorite and inspiration. Dennis's jazz playing on Revelation Records in the early 60's and his work with Chico Hamilton and Eric Dolphy is unique and displays a sense of phrasing and articulation second to none.

User Info Menu

Never really got his due imo.

User Info Menu

Wow, what a sad day. There is a really interesting video with Dennis, Bill Frisell and a third player whose name is eluding me. Mostly interview and reminiscence.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Wow, what a sad day. There is a really interesting video with Dennis, Bill Frisell and a third player whose name is eluding me. Mostly interview and reminiscence.
    Bob Bain was the third.

User Info Menu

He was part of the Bobby Troup Quintet, backing up the fabulous July London :

User Info Menu

Well, I liked it; three guitarists brought together to talk and play, by a magazine: don't blame Bill.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    But the relentless marketer Bill Frisell has to keep promoting himself no matter what...
    This was done by Fretboard Journal. They're the ones promoting and whoring the talent.
    In all fairness, I happen to know Bill considered it an honor to be able to share his time, musical ideas and to touch such an iconic and admired figure of his through the only way he could: playing music.
    It's one of the dreams of any musician I know of, to be able to play with them. As a player, I'd never turn down an opportunity to share the magic of music with another person, to bridge the years between their eras, strengths and sensibilities and to try to be supportive in my own way.
    Bill would have done this even if there weren't cameras there. It's not like they paid him to do this.
    But you're right sgcim, it would have been much better had they not documented and shared this.
    YouTube puts so much trash out there, they should only issue music that meets the highest commercial standards. This was obviously an intimate moment. No place for those in our world. Shame on them.

(written with a grain of salt and a healthy nugget of sarcasm)
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 01-15-2023 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

A selection of his work:

User Info Menu

I'm shocked at the vitriol directed at the Fretboard Journal. This is priceless documentation of a one-time event when two of the most important guitarists in the studio scene, in their senior years, got together with one of today's most honored guitar players. The affection and reverence for one another is palpable. If Bain and Budimir are well past their playing prime, so what? Their stories are priceless. Future generations will thank FJ for documenting this with high quality video and audio.

Like any communications entity today, FJ needs to create high quality content to survive. They enhance readership of the magazine with video that is available at no charge. Rather than "whoring Frisell's talent" they are celebrating a friendship with him that has to date, produced some remarkable performances. To see this in any other light is, in my opinion, flat out wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I'm shocked at the vitriol directed at the Fretboard Journal. This is priceless documentation of a one-time event when two of the most important guitarists in the studio scene, in their senior years, got together with one of today's most honored guitar players. The affection and reverence for one another is palpable. If Bain and Budimir are well past their playing prime, so what? Their stories are priceless. Future generations will thank FJ for documenting this with high quality video and audio.

Like any communications entity today, FJ needs to create high quality content to survive. They enhance readership of the magazine with video that is available at no charge. Rather than "whoring Frisell's talent" they are celebrating a friendship with him that has to date, produced some remarkable performances. To see this in any other light is, in my opinion, flat out wrong.
    Andy, my reaction was partly a Jonathan Swift reactionary comment on what you rightly point out is a loving and respectful documentary of three uniquely talented artists in a rare meeting of the spirits.
    In all honesty, I admire them for making this possible and sharing it with the world, should they chose to watch it in that spirit. I was somewhat taken aback by the commentary about painting Bill Frisell as an opportunistic spotlight seeker. By all and every account, he, and many like him are quite the opposite; he is one of the most humble and supportive human beings I know. Musicians who delve into their past to guide their future do see the rare honor in being able to commune with the living legends.

I was pointing out, in a tongue in cheek and seriously questioning post that it is not productive to take one's own prejudices about another player and put them down without the respect due to the situation and circumstance.

Someone was upset that DB was not shown in what was felt to be the most flattering light and blamed the other musician. Yeah, that seemed inappropriate to me, so I wrote a reactionary post to point out this absurdity and blaming the people who made the video possible.
    In truth, and truth hurts, we have our own shortcomings to look at. I laud the efforts of all the musicians and Fretboard Journal for making it possible to see that music really is a rare and precious experience.

Actually Andy, truth be told, I'm in your corner here.

User Info Menu

Tone is hard to read sometimes in an online post but I agree that, from all accounts, Bill Frisell " is one of the most humble and supportive human beings..."

User Info Menu

Here is a better interview with Dennis alone. Wonderful insights and stories. At 15" he talks about the video with Bill Frisell and Bob Bain. This video is priceless.

Last edited by Degranulator; 01-15-2023 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm not blaming BF, I'm blaming YOU!
    Choosing a sample of a great player when age has seriously affected his playing ability. Who wants to hear that?
    Then again, you probably couldn't tell the difference between that and this video when he was playing with Eric Dolphy in the Chico Hamilton Quintet:

Twenty-seven thousand views on YouTube: many want to hear and see that. It is a conversation between guitarists, about the golden age.

And 'you probably couldn't tell the difference' insults are for school children. Grow up and stop being so precious.

User Info Menu

Like being back on rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz. Ah, for the old days...

sgcim, FWIW I liked the video with Frisell, and nothing about the music diminished DB or BB in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Like being back on rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz. Ah, for the old days...

sgcim, FWIW I liked the video with Frisell, and nothing about the music diminished DB or BB in my eyes.
    Yeah, we all have a little Richard Bornman and Lord Valve in us...
    I'm sorry for being oversensitive about this subject, Litterick, but that video astonished me (in a bad way) when I first saw it.

User Info Menu

Yeah, we all have a little Richard Bornman and Lord Valve in us...
    I'm sorry for being oversensitive about this subject, Litterick, but that video astonished me (in a bad way) when I first saw it.
    i'm glad i watched it because i only knew budimir from the old records.

at 80 years old his personality and charisma more than made up for somewhat diminished chops.
    Last edited by djg; 01-16-2023 at 06:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe it's time to just let all this shit go and honor Dennis Budimir's playing, all through his life. And him as simply a good human being who for many years brought intelligence and beauty to those who enjoy music. He was cool about the video and listen, anybody with any experience of life can see that the man is in his twilight years. Nobody should draw conclusions from that video one way or the other about his playing and I doubt anyone would. Besides he was still the hippest cat in the room, and he did just fine. Especially given the square accompaniment. It was just a hang, and kudos for BF's attention and respect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i'm glad i watched it because i only knew budimir from the old records and the somewhat dismissive martino story about studying the guy more than the music.
    Wasn’t that Dennis Sandole? (as I recall from Martino’s autobiography.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Wasn’t that Dennis Sandole? (as I recall from Martino’s autobiography.)
    right.....

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i'm glad i watched it because i only knew budimir from the old records and the somewhat dismissive martino story about studying the guy more than the music.

at 80 years old his personality and charisma more than made up for somewhat diminished chops.
    It's funny how people change as they age. I had read a few few interviews with Budimir in magazines like Guitar Player and DB years ago, and he seemed like the most bitter person in the world, because of the choice he made to give up his jazz career, and spend his whole life in the studios.He even talked about never wanting to pick up a guitar again!

When this came out four years ago, I didn't want to hear anymore of his complaints about wasting his life in the studios, and skipped over the interview parts of the video, and just listened to his sadly diminished playing.
    Now that I listen to his interview, I'm amazed at how his attitude had changed in the interval between those magazine intervals and this interview.
    Like Zero Mostel in the courtroom scene of "The Producers" where he's asked if he has any comments to make before he's sentenced to jail, I can only say, "I've been a very bad boy, and I promise to never do it again"...

I'll go back and erase my negative comments about the video, and promise I'll never make them again..

User Info Menu

It's funny how people change as they age. I had read a few few interviews with Budimir in magazines like Guitar Player and DB years ago, and he seemed like the most bitter person in the world,
    so there's hope for us?

User Info Menu

A nice solo by Dennis Budimir here at 2:10.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know what Dennis is playing here?