The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Can anyone here point me in the direction of a decent quality ( audio/visuals ) dvd featuring Kenny Burrell? The only ones I have seen to date are not all that great in quality terms.

Thanks.

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi David,

I doubt that there's much available on DVD that isn't already on YouTube. I do have on DVD 'One Night with Blue Note', a 1985 all-star concert that marked the return of Blue Note Records. Kenny Burrell is on a couple of tunes, both of which are on YouTube.

There also some decent black and white footage of a three guitar package tour he did with Barney Kessel and Grant Green, that surfaced on YouTube a year or two ago. A colour performance of a blues, filmed at Ronnie Scott's, floats around online in generally poor quality but I think it's available on a 'Great Jazz Guitar Solos' DVD.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Hi David,

I doubt that there's much available on DVD that isn't already on YouTube. I do have on DVD 'One Night with Blue Note', a 1985 all-star concert that marked the return of Blue Note Records. Kenny Burrell is on a couple of tunes, both of which are on YouTube.

There also some decent black and white footage of a three guitar package tour he did with Barney Kessel and Grant Green, that surfaced on YouTube a year or two ago. A colour performance of a blues, filmed at Ronnie Scott's, floats around online in generally poor quality but I think it's available on a 'Great Jazz Guitar Solos' DVD.
    Many thanks for this David - really halpful. Much appreciated.

David

User Info Menu

It's a shame. He taught at UCLA for many years - he may even still be there. I tried to get Truefire to do a course with him, which they were excited about once they realized the legend was also a professor, but he was uninterested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seanmo
    It's a shame. He taught at UCLA for many years - he may even still be there. I tried to get Truefire to do a course with him, which they were excited about once they realized the legend was also a professor, but he was uninterested.
    Probably thought that he'd made his contribution to the art.

User Info Menu

Here are the performances from the 'One Night with Blue Note' DVD.

User Info Menu

At a Guitar Player magazine event in 2015.

User Info Menu

In 1969 with Barney Kessel and Grant Green.

From the same 1969 tour, 'Blue Mist' at Ronnie Scott's. Appears to be ripped from a 'Legends of Jazz Guitar vol.2' DVD according to the in-screen credits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Probably thought that he'd made his contribution to the art.
    Rumors that it’s darker than that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...4ad_story.html

User Info Menu

Excellent and thank you.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Rumors that it’s darker than that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...4ad_story.html
    That was awhile ago... no updates yet I guess?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    That was awhile ago... no updates yet I guess?
    I didn’t see anything.

User Info Menu

Can anyone here point me in the direction of a decent quality ( audio/visuals ) dvd featuring Kenny Burrell? The only ones I have seen to date are not all that great in quality terms.

Thanks.

David
    When you say decent quality, I assume you are referring to the quality of the recording, not to Kenny's playing! I would look for recordings from the last 30 years or so. Older KB playing from the 50s-60s can only be reprocessed so much with modern technology. Also look for album covers where KB has gray hair! :-)

But seriously, some of KBs albums from later years include:

Lotus Blossom-1995
    75th Birthday Bash Live! 2007
    Cottontail 2015
    Lucky So and So 2001
    Be Yourself 2010
    A Night at the Vanguard

That should get you started.

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    When you say decent quality, I assume you are referring to the quality of the recording, not to Kenny's playing! I would look for recordings from the last 30 years or so. Older KB playing from the 50s-60s can only be reprocessed so much with modern technology. Also look for album covers where KB has gray hair! :-)

But seriously, some of KBs albums from later years include:

Lotus Blossom-1995
    75th Birthday Bash Live! 2007
    Cottontail 2015
    Lucky So and So 2001
    Be Yourself 2010
    A Night at the Vanguard

That should get you started.

Doug
    Thanks Doug, in fact I have some of those. My mail was about dvds in fact.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I didn’t see anything.

Kenny Burrell Net Worth 2023

https://www.idolnetworth.com › kenny-burrell-net-wort...

Kenny Burrell net worth and salary: Kenny Burrell is a Guitarist who has a net worth of $11 Million. Kenny Burrell was born in in July 31, 1931.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell net worth and salary: Kenny Burrell is a Guitarist who has a net worth of $11 Million. Kenny Burrell was born in in July 31, 1931.

I have a very hard time believing that. I can't imagine anything he's done (or EVERYTHING he's done) generating that kind of income.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell Net Worth 2023

Idol Net Worth - Celebrity Net Worth, Richest Celebrities › kenny-burrell-net-wort...

That's one of those junk websites that scrapes data from wikipedia and search engines and generates false wealth reports on celebrities. I just put in names of some well-known jazz musicians who I know personally and they're definitely not millionaires, despite what that website says!

User Info Menu

Legends of Jazz Guitar Volume 2 has a few videos of Kenny playing.

Robot or human?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I have a very hard time believing that. I can't imagine anything he's done (or EVERYTHING he's done) generating that kind of income.
    97 CDs - gigs over 50 + years and UCLA at 197,500$ pa. Then we don't know about property investments inheritance........................?

Not really interested, but the guy clearly should not be flat broke?

User Info Menu

Counting other peoples money is a fools errand.

User Info Menu

97 CDs - gigs over 50 + years and UCLA at 197,500$ pa. Then we don't know about property investments inheritance........................?

Not really interested, but the guy clearly should not be flat broke?
    It's easy to become flat broke. Just ask many lottery winners LOL.

I have no idea "what he's worth", but it ain't in the millions. I would think very few jazz musicians are (especially of his era... Johnny Smith comes to mind...), exception for the "pop jazz" people like Harry Connick Jr, Diana Krall, etc.

User Info Menu

Some KB in ballad mode -

Imagination:

My Ship:

A pity about the background hum in that second tune. Considering what Peter Jackson achieved with the Beatles' Get Back film and Giles Martin's remixing efforts on the recent Revolver release, I'm sure there are or soon will be affordable solutions to cleaning up the visuals and audio on clips like these.

User Info Menu

Some very nice playing in this video (Kenny's solos are timestamped in the comments):

Another one with Ray Charles' sidemen out front:

User Info Menu

Just remembered this video on my channel. Kenny has a couple of solos (at 12:25 and 19:30).