The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really like Ronnie Ben-Hur's playing and tone. In every picture I can find he is playing the same guitar, which is unusual. It looks like an L5 but I think the headstock inlay and the fretboard inlays don't match an L5, I could be wrong. If anybody knows what that guitar is I'd love to know, thank you much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like a Gibson Johnny Smith.

User Info Menu

It's a Gibson Johnny Smith that he's been playing for years. Has a Kent Armstrong style floating humbucker and ebony pickguard.

Roni's one of my favourite players and a great teacher!

Ronnie Ben-Hur's guitar?-10152996_10152329291376428_7637867470405224551_n-jpg

Thanks very much!

User Info Menu

Great photo, David, to be treasured. He’s a favourite of mine too. Not mentioned enough on this forum, I think.

User Info Menu

Rob,
    Yes. When I listen to him, I get a little of that Peter Bernstein flavor. Johnny Smith is what I thought also.
    He's a great player. It's interesting to see this thread, because an old friend asked me to take some CD's from his collection recently, and I grabbed one he had of Ronni Ben-Hur. Glad I did.

User Info Menu

I’ve had his Signature album since it came out in 2005 (iirc). He just quietly gets on with creating great music. Nothing flash or ugly. Just good playing.

User Info Menu

Lyrical lines, great tone and a deep sense of swing. What's not to love?