The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

An old recording of my favourite bluesman, then still working with his band, was still posted, recorded live in Bremen, 1988 .
    I thought I'd share it here because it's quite different from what he does now, not less groovy but more funky

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Haven't heard of Doug before, he sounds really good. Really great vocal, definitely up my alley! His guitar seems a little more laid back than my tastes tend towards but there is nothing wrong with his playing! He was definitely still pretty funky in 1988!

I don't have time to listen to the whole set in detail right this minute as I gotta head to a gig in a bit but I will definitely do some more listening. Thanks for sharing. I'm always looking for new-to-me blues artists, so this is great. Since you are sharing I will share a more recent favorite of mine who I stumbled on a few years back:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Haven't heard of Doug before, he sounds really good. Really great vocal, definitely up my alley! His guitar seems a little more laid back than my tastes tend towards but there is nothing wrong with his playing! He was definitely still pretty funky in 1988!
    The past few decades already he's been focussing on traditional, "rootsy", story-telling acoustic Delta blues, most often with just a guitar, his voice and his boot. Good enough to be a multi-time Blues Award nominee and winner, and with a contagious presence and humour that for me makes him a real blues man.

Crenshaw isn't half-bad either though. The particular song you linked to reminded me of one of Doug's, here in the intimate, unplugged session I was lucky enough to witness a few years back (the recorded version is a little bit more up-beat).

Sadly the introductory story wasn't included (that's what the "shoulda hit teeth" at the end referred to).

FWIW, he'll be doing an acoustic guitar masterclass this summer, for the Pinetop Perkins Foundation in Clarksdale MS: WORKSHOP .