The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I've just got hold of this film. I haven't seen it yet (that's later today) but I've no doubt it's excellent.

If you want it here's the Vimeo link. You have to register, if you haven't already, and it can be rented or bought. There's immediate access and it's not expensive.

INSIDE SCOFIELD – A film about John Scofield

How can you resist :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Extraordinary lack of response here... have you all seen it already?

User Info Menu

I have seen it already. Did enjoy it a lot. Great music (of course), but also a great movie. Sometimes funny, and great pictures.

User Info Menu

I have not seen it yet, so have nothing to contribute to a conversation. Sco does seem to be a natural presence in terms of his self-awareness as a musician, so I can see this being interesting. Different than the Bill Frisell movie, as Bill seems to be something of a mystery to himself (which made that interesting in a different way).

User Info Menu

Sco does seem to be a natural presence in terms of his self-awareness as a musician
    That's just it. The fact is he carries the whole film simply because of what, or who, he is. I wasn't bored once. In fact, I watched it the whole time with a smile on my face (unusual for me) and only realised it till somewhere near the end!

But I have to say I was expecting a far more interested and enthusiastic response. There was one when it was first announced but interest seems to have waned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    That's just it. The fact is he carries the whole film simply because of what, or who, he is. I wasn't bored once. In fact, I watched it the whole time with a smile on my face (unusual for me) and only realised it till somewhere near the end!

But I have to say I was expecting a far more interested and enthusiastic response. There was one when it was first announced but interest seems to have waned.
    I haven't watched the movie yet, but I have all the CDs that John Scofield has recorded.
    I was so fascinated by John's playing that I even made a full transcription of his video course 'On Improvisatio/1983/'.
    Any serious guitar player should try transcribe his solos and watch the movie of course..
    Last edited by kris; 01-07-2023 at 05:59 AM.

User Info Menu

It is very well done, I think - I was part of the campaign and Joerg (the maker of the film) posted updates in which he talked about the hundreds of hours he had filmed.
    I think it is a fine portrait of a great jazz musician making a living and enjoying it (well, except for airports). And Sco is a wonderful person with a great humor and an infinite musicality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Different than the Bill Frisell movie...
    Thanks for the link and suggestion about the Scofield movie. I'm looking forward to it if I can stream it on Vimeo outside the US.

But candidly, I'm a much bigger Frisell fan. Anyone have a link to this movie? Is it available to stream? Please forgive my old man techno-ignorance...

Added later: Figured it out. Finally. LOL.

Watch Bill Frisell, A Portrait Online | Vimeo On Demand on Vimeo
    Last edited by Flat; 01-07-2023 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed it; rented it the day it came out. It’s interesting what gets attention around here. I don’t recall any conversations about Sco’s recent solo album for instance.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I haven't watched the movie yet, but I have all the CDs that John Scofield has recorded.
    I was so fascinated by John's playing that I even made a full transcription of his video course 'On Improvisatio/1983/'.
    Any serious guitar player should try transcribe his solos and watch the movie of course..
    Kris, you can see the movie online (rent) or download it (buy) with the link I gave in the first post. It's not expensive. I also think it's possible to buy the DVD. Anyway, I hope you see it, it's very good.

User Info Menu

Pity that the only option seems to be Paypal.

User Info Menu

It says 'or use Pay Pal'. There's another option.

User Info Menu

It says 'or use Pay Pal'. There's another option.
    Where does this occur in fact? All I am seeing is the Paypal button and then straight into their pro-forma with no other options.

David

User Info Menu

Are you renting it to watch online, buying a download, or ordering the actual DVD?

User Info Menu

are you renting it to watch online, buying a download, or ordering the actual dvd?
    dvd

User Info Menu

You scroll down past the Vimeo sections till you get to the 'DVD + Posters' bit and make your selection. Then you click on the yellow PayPal box. Fill in your email and do what it says. You don't need a PayPal account.

Inside Scofield Documentary-untitled2-jpg

User Info Menu

Merci pour votre patience (!).

Thanks again,

David

User Info Menu

De nada, tovarisch
    Supongo que tengo una aversión incorporada a todo lo relacionado con Paypal de 'Wayback'

User Info Menu

Speaking of Scofield, just a note that he will be filling in for Warren Haynes at the Jamaican music festival this month. Govt Mule does an annual show there--in fact I saw Warren at the airport in Mo Bay a couple of years ago--but he posted that he is getting over COVID and Influenza A and will not be able to make it, so John is filling in.

The album John did with Govt Mule--Sco-Mule--is a great album, which I listen to again and again. Here's hoping Warren gets back on the road again soon.