The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I think that's the sweetest neck PAF in a Les Paul I've ever heard...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Right or Wrong," very nice. Kenny Vaughan is the man. Picking up tickets to see Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives with Junior Brown in June with my dad and uncle.

I've seen TE and MS&TFS twice each. Not to be missed!

Always wanted to see Junior, never had the opportunity.

User Info Menu

I've never seen Tommy, but I'd like to. I had a high school classmate who was a crazy good fingerstyle player who had jammed with him at some point.

User Info Menu

TE is astonishing as a player, a performer and a composer. He’s also a warm and wonderful person as well as a walking jukebox. I’ve been fortunate enough to see him and meet him many times, from club dates to prestigious venues. Over the years he started to play louder and louder and at some point I stopped going. I’m a rock guy and am used to shows that rearrange your internal organs, but a flattop at 100dB just isn’t what I need to hear (not even his Matons). Incidentally, that turned me towards archtops and jazz. I couldn’t stand the sound of flattops anymore. It’s been many years since I last saw Tommy. What a guy. #respect

BTW, I _love_ the sound he gets out of that LP!

User Info Menu

BTW, the LP is dead quiet but listen what happens when the archtop’s volume is turned up at the beginning…

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    BTW, the LP is dead quiet but listen what happens when the archtop’s volume is turned up at the beginning…
    I noticed that too. Something going on with the wiring in that one... and it's even got humbuckers...

User Info Menu

As a Western Swing electric mandolin and fiddle player, I really like this! I think WS players like Eldon Shamblin and Jr Bernard are tragically under rated by the jazz guitar community.

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    As a Western Swing electric mandolin and fiddle player, I really like this! I think WS players like Eldon Shamblin and Jr Bernard are tragically under rated by the jazz guitar community.
    Hillbilly Jazz. I love the stuff! George Barnes, Jimmy Bryant, Jimmie Rivers...

User Info Menu

I really like that stuff. Kenny Vaughan is a treasure trove of great stories. (Often on YouTube talking to Otis Gibbs.)

Speaking of Eldon Shamblin, here he is with Herb Ellis doing "There Will Never Be Another You."

User Info Menu

Jimmie Rivers, especially the record Brisbane Bop with Vance Terry, (whom I was lucky enough to play a couple of gigs with).

“Music starts at 9:00, fights start at 10:00”.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    Jimmie Rivers, especially the record Brisbane Bop with Vance Terry, (whom I was lucky enough to play a couple of gigs with).

“Music starts at 9:00, fights start at 10:00”.
    The only good thing about my drive to and from work is "Brisbane Bop" in my car's CD player. I've got a little Western swing combo at college I'm trying to whip into shape, and we're doing "Swedish Pastry" like on that record, I'd like to slip in Jimmie's arrangements of "Back Bay Shuffle" and the Barney Kessel-like arrangement of "Slow Boat to China." I've got a long way to go to try to play like him, though.