The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I'd like to start a thread on the great Mark Whitfield by sharing those two videos. I've been a fan since the late nineties, and Mark is to this day one of my favorite players on the planet!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I heard Whitfield with Joe Lovano in Oakville Ontario of all places around the turn of the century. Mark had mangled his finger and had a huge bandage wrapped around it which would have left a lesser player incapacitated. He was brilliant. It must have been his picking hand, I can't remember.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    I'd like to start a thread on the great Mark Whitfield by sharing those two videos. I've been a fan since the late nineties, and Mark is to this day one of my favorite players on the planet!

The list of acts he has been a sideman for is phenomenal.

User Info Menu

I’m a big fan. Is that Mark making the loud utterances on the first video? I’ve seen him live several times and he did not do this. Hopefully it was a phase?? I can’t enjoy the music when soloists do that.

AKA

User Info Menu

a favorite :
    Piano drums and Bass are really cooking too!

S

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    I’m a big fan. Is that Mark making the loud utterances on the first video? I’ve seen him live several times and he did not do this. Hopefully it was a phase?? I can’t enjoy the music when soloists do that.

AKA
    Yes it is. Wild Mark the Marksman. I like that set so much I pretend not to hear it.

User Info Menu

a transcription/study of M.W solo on the blues from way back an early M.W recording.

The Blues, from Way Back by Mark Whitfield Transcription

A great tune.....

S

User Info Menu

Yes it is. Wild Mark the Marksman. I like that set so much I pretend not to hear it.
    I saw him recently performing with Billy Cobham. He was, as usual, playing his ass off. He mentioned a new “Mark Whitfield” D’Angelico model is about to be released.

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    a favorite :

S
    Wow. What a great video. New to Mark Whitfield and definitely a fan now. That piano player really busted a move too. He had some great feeling in that solo, and so accessible as well.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    a favorite :

S
    That's Peter Martin from the popular Youtube channel, Open Studio on piano.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    I saw him recently performing with Billy Cobham. He was, as usual, playing his ass off. He mentioned a new “Mark Whitfield” D’Angelico model is about to be released.

AKA
    Oh I remember that story about the new model, it was mentioned on their Instagram, or Whitfield's (but I left Instagram when they started demanding to know my date of birth). There was something special about that model, can't remember what, so I asked about it, and D'A replied the model was in the works. The new D'Angelicoes are not well liked around here, but I gotta say, from the videos I heard Whitfield playing the SS model, it sounds like a quality instrument.