The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I found this fascinating, and it makes me want to check out more of his music.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Genius musician who could be appreciated by folks that "just don't like jazz".
    Well done sir, well done indeed!

I never noticed the "latin influence" until they mentioned it in the video. But then I've been hearing this music since I was born, and didn't hear anything latin until 30 years later probably.

User Info Menu

Tying the Vince Guaraldi and Bola Sete threads together:

User Info Menu

Schultz hated jazz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I found this fascinating, and it makes me want to check out more of his music.

Here's one with Julian Lage. Merry Xmas...

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Schultz hated jazz
    Look how that ended up.

User Info Menu

Vince Guaraldi is friggin good. He's not just the peanuts foo.

User Info Menu

Guaraldi's scores for Peanuts are some of the best composing for moving image ever. He was an interesting and talented cat. If he was somewhat limited in terms of piano chops, compared to many of his contemporaries, he made up for that with his hook-laden compositions that endured for decades and likely will continue to do so.

That Lage perfomance is gorgeous. Thanks for linking!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

Sounds nice ... but somehow I keep listening for (subdued, polite) restaurant sounds... is that just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

That's so cool... even if I didn't know that was Guaraldi, I'd KNOW simply because it sounds like him. Instantly recognizable (thank to Peanuts)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    If he was somewhat limited in terms of piano chops, compared to many of his contemporaries, he made up for that with his hook-laden compositions.
    How tf is this limited in chops?

Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 12-19-2022 at 03:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    How tf is this limited in chops?
    I’ve no idea where that came from, for VG was the real deal. And like many greats, gone too soon!

I dare anyone to think of Christmas without thinking of Christmas Time Is Here.

User Info Menu

^ Possibly because he leaves space on his popular oriented tunes and that could lead someone who only has heard those to think he was underskilled. But he was a great player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I’ve no idea where that came from, for VG was the real deal. And like many greats, gone too soon!

I dare anyone to think of Christmas without thinking of Christmas Time Is Here.

S

User Info Menu

^ Possibly because he leaves space on his popular oriented tunes and that could lead someone who only has heard those to think he was underskilled. But he was a great player.
    Monk left a lot of space in a lot of his composition. I like that. Some time to breath and think about a cool riff or note.

User Info Menu

One word. Miles.

User Info Menu

VG is one of my favorite pianists and his Peanuts stuff is great.

The trio is tight, the melodies are memorable, and the nostalgia is a bonus.

User Info Menu

There ain’t nothin missing in VG’s playing!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMColeman
    Monk left a lot of space in a lot of his composition. I like that. Some time to breath and think about a cool riff or note.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    One word. Miles.
    Yep, same thing. Left more space than the average player but it let their music breathe and supported their style. But could still run some lines off too.

User Info Menu

check out some of his early pre Peanuts [and 'stache] records like this one w/longtime guitarist Eddie Duran