The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Clint at age 17 in 1982 with Fred Crane (piano) Bruce Lett (bass)

Secret Love

When Sonny Gets Blue

All The Things You Are

and Clint with the great Tommy Morrell, just marvelous playing by all right pass the short intro. When I think I heard their best the next tune comes along

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I only knew of him thru this :

Quite enlightening to hear a young Clint already in a league of his own....

Thx for posting

If he's using a GB10 (like on the picture) he gets a nice sound from it ...

S

User Info Menu

Great playing by Clint, as usual!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    Clint at age 17 in 1982 with Fred Crane (piano) Bruce Lett (bass)

Secret Love

When Sonny Gets Blue

All The Things You Are

and Clint with the great Tommy Morrell, just marvelous playing by all right pass the short intro. When I think I heard their best the next tune comes along
    Clint was already playing the guitar perfectly at the age of 17.
    Thanks for videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Clint was already playing the guitar perfectly at the age of 17.
    Thanks for videos.
    He's probably the only jazz guitar player I'd go out and see live since Ed Bickert and Jimmy Raney died.
    He quoted Billie's Bounce a lot back then. Also, a lot of other wild, funny quotes that work great!

User Info Menu

I think Clint just recently started a YouTube Channel, videos showing uploaded in last few months Clint Strong - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    I think Clint just recently started a YouTube Channel, videos showing uploaded in last few months Clint Strong - YouTube
    BTW that introduction vid for the YT channel is awe inspiring. he talks about his guitar life ...wonderful.....

He sounds even better on the bambino.....if that's even possible.....

and for those who are interested , I found this pdf Clint Strong-Mastering Jazz licks - Free Download PDF of the instructional video I linked in a previous post .

S

User Info Menu

Pretty swingin' for a 17 year old (even for a 70 year old!). Now, I think it's nothing short of astonishing that someone so young can have amassed that much jazz vocab, but Clint never seems to have received that much adulation. What am I missing? Is it considered "common" to be a jazz guitar prodigy? I can think of 3 or 4 guys that sounded accomplished at that age, but can anyone think of 100 players who were that seasoned at 17? How about even just 10 players?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Pretty swingin' for a 17 year old (even for a 70 year old!). Now, I think it's nothing short of astonishing that someone so young can have amassed that much jazz vocab, but Clint never seems to have received that much adulation. What am I missing? Is it considered "common" to be a jazz guitar prodigy? I can think of 3 or 4 guys that sounded accomplished at that age, but can anyone think of 100 players who were that seasoned at 17? How about even just 10 players?
    People here are more concerned with fusion players and pretty guitars, and the rest of the world is tone DEAD!

User Info Menu

Here is an older Clint Strong. I really like this performance a lot. It has been posted here before. I love the bass playing and drumming, too.

User Info Menu

When discussing accomplished 17-year-old phenoms, Gary Burton on "Jazz Winds From A New Direction" comes to mind.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Looks like he went mostly into Western Swing and Country, aka not jazz and that scares people off. Look at how little we discuss Bruce Foreman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    I just saw that yesterday, and after ten seconds, I downloaded it.
    Just incredible. I guess that was recorded in 1992. He was at his absolute peak.
    He's got a bunch of videos out now of himself playing with backing tracks that fade out after he's played a chorus or two that are very good. but the bootleg is just on another level.And he's doing it LIVE.

When Clay Moore told us how good he was in the old group , he wasn't kidding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I just saw that yesterday, and after ten seconds, I downloaded it.
    Just incredible. I guess that was recorded in 1992. He was at his absolute peak.
    He's got a bunch of videos out now of himself playing with backing tracks that fade out after he's played a chorus or two that are very good. but the bootleg is just on another level.And he's doing it LIVE.

When Clay Moore told us how good he was in the old group , he wasn't kidding.
    you have the stuff where a student (?) recorded him jamming with those aebersolds?

User Info Menu

you have the stuff where a student (?) recorded him jamming with those aebersolds?
    Are you talking about the videos I mentioned? If not, no.

User Info Menu

friggin killer!

User Info Menu

no, these were full audio tracks iirc. gotta dig them up

User Info Menu

Clint is amazing.
    He points to Howard Roberts as a huge influence but man, he draws from a river of sources and puts them together with incredible facility and swing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Clint is amazing.
    He points to Howard Roberts as a huge influence but man, he draws from a river of sources and puts them together with incredible facility and swing.
    he plays wes' solo on blue and boogie. he plays grant green's solo here:

User Info Menu

he plays wes' solo on blue and boogie. he plays grant green's solo here:

you can't play jazz on a Parker Fly.....I think

User Info Menu

The same guitar is in post #10. Must not be jazz, I guess.

User Info Menu