The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

That guy when electric bass was electric.

yeah

'He play with anybody?'

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Huh? Is this a question? If so Allen Holdsworth, Yes, King Crimson, Spirogyra, Genesis, AL Di Meola, Asia etc.

User Info Menu

If you want to hear Bruford in a band with a very "electric" bass sound then "Fragile" by Yes is probably the one.

On a side note: just looking at all the "Roundabout" bass covers on YT I wonder if Chris Squire ever got a massive thank you bonus from Rickenbacker.

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Huh? Is this a question? If so Allen Holdsworth, Yes, King Crimson, Spirogyra, Genesis, AL Di Meola, Asia etc.
    Did Bill play with Spirogyra? British or American version?
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 12-09-2022 at 02:59 AM.

I saw a clinic at a church on Bloor Street led by Bruford.

I saw a clinic led by Carman Appice - less gracious than Bill.

King Crimson in 80 with Levin and Belew.

Is there a more identifiable snare sound after Tony Williams?

I love how he played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Did Bill play with Spirogyra? British or American version?
    Guest artist for the British Prog band Spirogyra. The jazz rock band is Spyro Gyra.
    Last edited by rob taft; 12-09-2022 at 10:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Yes on French television in 1969 in glorious SECAM.

(INA Chansons is a rich archive of music on television)

User Info Menu

I love how Bill bowed out, with perhaps his coolest and least well-known project: the big band version of Earthworks. And then he retired.

His name and stature allowed him to develop and work with some excellent British jazz musicians: namely Django Bates, Tim Garland, and Gwilym Simcock (what a surname! Simcock!)

I think Django Bates’ big band projects are really sublime, in the same creative vein of someone like the Argentine Guillermo Klein. Very cool and modernist takes on large scale jazz ensembles.

And yes: Yes, Gentle Giant, and King Crimson are my favorite rock bands by a country mile. In a subsidiary sense: Hatfield and the North and Gong as well. Bill played with almost all of these.

User Info Menu

Yes, but King Crimson :

or with AH and JB and DS (One of a kind)
    :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I love how Bill bowed out, with perhaps his coolest and least well-known project: the big band version of Earthworks. And then he retired.

His name and stature allowed him to develop and work with some excellent British jazz musicians: namely Django Bates, Tim Garland, and Gwilym Simcock (what a surname! Simcock!)
    It might amuse you to know that my old bass player and a good friend once broke Simcock’s right hand in a filthy sliding tackle at the weekly London jazz musicians five a side. I don’t think he was remotely contrite (he is a south london thug essentially) when Simcock had to play a gig with Muthspiel with the left hand only and rightly so. Naturally Gwilym killed it.

Even with one hand he is a better musician than any of us.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 12-09-2022 at 05:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Bruford good at the drums though, no word of a lie

I still think Phil had the edge for me though in prog land. But I was never a Yes fan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    If you want to hear Bruford in a band with a very "electric" bass sound then "Fragile" by Yes is probably the one.

On a side note: just looking at all the "Roundabout" bass covers on YT I wonder if Chris Squire ever got a massive thank you bonus from Rickenbacker.
    i just listened to Roundabout really
    loud in the car

wow what a bass sound and performance
    sounded like Lemmy

A distorted Rick bass covers a lot
    of ground ....

User Info Menu

A long long time ago ....

i saw bruford Earthworks small group
    with Django Bates on mainly keyboard

But at one point he picked up
    what looked like a tenor horn

and blew the most amazing bebop
    improv I had ever maybe have ever
    heard !

sounded like a BIG trumpet
    Huge !

the guy is a freeking monster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Bruford good at the drums though, no word of a lie

I still think Phil had the edge for me though in prog land. But I was never a Yes fan.
    I am on record as saying that had Phil Collins not sang a note, he would rightly have been regarded as one of the greatest drummers of his generation.

Not only could he do the prog rock stadium thing, he could do experimental music with Brian Eno and Peter Gabriel and jazz fusion with Brand X.

In the Air Tonight isolated drum:

And btw listen to his isolated drumming from the (otherwise pedestrian) song Easy Lover. Tasteful, rock steady, and with some beautiful fills and high hat notes along the way.

Oh we were talking about Bill Bruford weren’t we. Up there with Phil in technique and impact. I have several of his solo albums and his UK outing with Allen Holdsworth. Too bad Allen left that group. They should have been as big as Asia, and Allen wouldn’t have had money problems the rest of his life.

Bill is also a very self-aware musician, which IMO is a rare thing among the most famous players. Every interview and article with him is an eye-opener. He was invited to play with Genesis after PG left, as Phil’s tour “replacement” when Phil sang, but he didn’t care for the tour at all. As I recall Phil wanted Bill to play his drum parts note for note, which is not what Bill was about. So he bowed out as soon as he could.

I saw Bill with King Crimson in ‘81–one of the premier concerts of my life. First date with Cathy—long story—and the start of a beautiful but doomed relationship.

There were certainly pyrotechnics in Bill’s impeccable accompaniment to songs like Elephant Talk, but what I remember most is him playing the Talking Drum at the beginning of Sheltering Sky. (I have made a talking drum almost identical to that, but can’t play it like Bill LOL.) By the end of this song Cathy and I were in love.

Side note—ever notice how Bill looks like Fripp’s son? More hair of course, but same nose. I have that nose too. Must be from some common stock back there in the old country.

Starless

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Starless
    You ever hear this version by these two sisters? In interviews, they have the weirdest English accent I’ve heard. Couldn’t figure out where they were from. Apparently from Newcastle.

This is the King Crimson song I feel should be a standard. Matte Kudasai. I couldn’t find any sheet music for this, so I learned it by ear. Lesson learned: because I learned it the hard way, it’s much easier to retrain, even now . The song itself is simple, but beautiful.

Here is K.D. Lang’s version, which I think is the best.

User Info Menu

Attended a lecture on creativity by him st the rock hall when yes was inducted. Dude is brilliant.

User Info Menu

This is the King Crimson song I feel should be a standard. Matte Kudasai. I couldn’t find any sheet music for this, so I learned it by ear. Lesson learned: because I learned it the hard way, it’s much easier to retrain, even now . The song itself is simple, but beautiful.

Wow, what a great version of that song. I’ve not heard it before. Thanks for sharing!

Love KD Lang—she’s on my must-see list. She’s never sung a dishonest note in her life.

I will quibble with one thing though. She states she was asked to sing a song by a British band. King Crimson at that time was 1/2 British, 1/2 American. They all cowrote all the songs on Discipline.

Anyway, yes one of the great songs. And a great song to make out to. The title (apparently) means “wait, please” in Japanese.

User Info Menu

You ever hear this version by these two sisters?
    No, I hadn't and I'm very glad you brought it to my attention. Never really liked Fripp's neck pick-up ultra sustained tone but the line makes perfect sense on cornet.

User Info Menu

You ever hear this version by these two sisters? In interviews, they have the weirdest English accent I’ve heard. Couldn’t figure out where they were from. Apparently from Newcastle.
    The sisters were raised near the village of Unthank in Northumberland, west of Newcastle (which has its own accent). The name dates from the twelfth century, at least. The historic Unthanks were border reivers, who behaved badly for about three hundred years, raiding, pillaging and living on the land of others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The sisters were raised near the village of Unthank in Northumberland, west of Newcastle (which has its own accent). The name dates from the twelfth century, at least. The historic Unthanks were border reivers, who behaved badly for about three hundred years, raiding, pillaging and living on the land of others.
    Yay! my grandmothers people lol, she came from a Border Reiver family according to my dad who is from Alnwick.

(Over a thousand years of everything from cattle raids to open warfare have made it a very interesting place to visit if you like castles, monasteries sacked by the vikings and Roman ruins etc. Also beautiful countryside.)

as far as the dialect goes the rural population in particular never really got on with this whole Great Vowel Shift idea.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 12-17-2022 at 05:13 AM.

User Info Menu

The midi are on it

User Info Menu

wow that’s so cool! I liked this track originally but not the biggest fan of Belew’s voice if I’m to be honest; Lang handles the difficult leaps as if they are nothing and sings it beautifully. Of course.

User Info Menu

I forgot that I tried to transcribe the lyrics and song for “Starless”. Here it is, using the so-called “Nashville” interval system.

Starless (and Bible Black) by King Crimson

Lyrics
    Sundown dazzling day. 3-6-5-6-3
    Gold through my eyes. 1-4-3-2
    But my eyes turned within. 1-2-3 -2-3-2
    Only see 2-3-1
    Starless and bible black 6-3-5-3-4-2

Ice blue silver sky 3-6-5-6-3
    Fades into grey 1-4-3-2
    To a grey hope that oh yearns to be 1-2-3........5-4-3 2-3-1
    Starless and bible black. 6-3-5-3-4-2

Old friend charity. 3-6-5-6-3
    Cruel twisted smile 1-4-3-2
    And the smile signals emptiness 1-2-3-5-4-3-4-2
    For me 3-1
    Starless and bible black. 6-3-5-3-4-2

I don’t know if this is correct, but I tried.