The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is a potential new release of Jim Hall recordings through the ArtistShare group. I received this notice via email and thought there might be some other Jim Hall fans here who might like to support the project. I'm not completely clear on the details, but I think it's the sort of thing where if they get enough support or interest they will be able to release these recordings. You can offer support by just ordering a copy in advance, or contribute at a more expensive level. Here is a URL and some info about the project.

(Edited later: I now realize the recordings are available for immediate download. If you order a CD package, it apparently will be released March 2023. A CD order also entitles you to an immediate download.)

https://www.artistshare.com/Projects...sic-Uniquities

About this project
    Uniquities (/yoo nik quit eez/) - adjective
    A term coined by Jane Hall, describing how Jim would take the same or similar musical ideas and constantly reinvent it, similar to Monet's Water Lilies.

Jim Hall was a true master of his artform. So much that today, ten years later, his music still sounds completely modern and like the work of any great master is appreciated more and more as time passes.

Uniquities is a collection of never before released live performances by Jim, Scott Colley and Joey Baron. It has been carefully curated to demonstrate how incredibly innovative Jim was and to reflect his unrelenting search for that combination of stunning beauty and an ever-evolving modern approach to music.

We welcome you to become a part of making this project come to life and allowing us to get this music out into the world to receive the recognition that it well deserves.

Today, on Dec. 4th, 2022 we celebrate what would have been Jim's 92nd birthday in the best way we know how. By sharing his music. Thank you for being a part of this celebration.

Last edited by Flat; 12-06-2022 at 10:10 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Both Volume 1 and 2 are available now at the web site as a download. I just downloaded them.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads-up. The website is scant on details about the recordings themselves. Is it one or two CDs worth of music? There's no track listing or other information on ArtistShare beyond the fact that it's a set of live recordings of Jim Hall, Scott Colley and Joey Baron.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Thanks for the heads-up. The website is scant on details about the recordings themselves. Is it one or two CDs worth of music? There's no track listing or other information on ArtistShare beyond the fact that it's a set of live recordings of Jim Hall, Scott Colley and Joey Baron.
    2 CDs worth to download.

User Info Menu

OP, Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the CDs.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to order the CD's.

ArtistShare is the same service that made "Magic Meeting" happen some years ago, and that was an outstanding set. Jim made some VERY creative music in his later years.

User Info Menu

As noted the Artistshare site seems quite light on details. For those who have done the download, is this a recording from a specific concert? Or a series of dates? I am aware of a recording by this trio that is on YT, Budapest 2010, which is great. Any chance it's that concert on this release?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

I haven't heard these recordings other than the short sample on the site; but looking at YouTube videos of him in his last few years- often playing with this lineup- and then comparing that with the Jim Hall Live! Recordings from the mid 1970s, it's interesting to hear what sounds like an evolution rather than a decline with age. There are some pretty blazing chops on those mid 70s recordings, but in his later work he seems to prize thoughtfulness, deliberate choice, quiet conversation with the other musicians, etc. Maybe his chops weren't what they had been earlier but his musicianship was, I think, stronger than ever in his last decade. To me, as an aging would-be jazz guitarist with very limited talent, that's inspirational.