The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Here's a great player you need to hear! I'm always surprised people don't know Ilya Lushtak. Can't think of any other current day players I'd rather listen to. He's got the groove of Grant Green or Wes but he also has a bunch of Barry Harris stuff in his playing. His solos are very surprising and interesting, you never know what he's gonna do next.

There will never be another you

Cherokee on a boat somewhere

Darn that Dream

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    Here's a great player you need to hear! I'm always surprised people don't know Ilya Lushtak. Can't think of any other current day players I'd rather listen to. He's got the groove of Grant Green or Wes but he also has a bunch of Barry Harris stuff in his playing. His solos are very surprising and interesting, you never know what he's gonna do next.

He's been on Smalls Live several times playing with different folks.

User Info Menu

Good find!

User Info Menu

Great player, great sound. This was my introduction to him, some years back:

User Info Menu

I saw him live quite many times while he was back in St.Petersburg, there he was kind of a star (the only other player who compete with him in that sense was Andrei Ryabov but he belongs to older generation and has indisputable reputation).

He is a master on the instrument and has huge vocabulary in trad jazz.

User Info Menu

Yeah Ilya seems to be a legend in small circles, but for some reason mostly unknown on the internet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    He's been on Smalls Live several times playing with different folks.

The Smalls Live website has 60+ Ilya Lushtak performances and some of them are really mind blowing.
    It costs $10 to join the site for a year, well worth it, and the money goes to a good cause.

There's not much on YouTube and he has no records out, so I think the Smalls Live websites is the best place to hear Ilya.

Well I guess he has the Hand and Frank record out, but IMO it does not feature the guitar much and does not really capture what he does. The studio version is nothing like the live version.

User Info Menu

Here's a good one-

Looks like he's sight reading doubling the sax around the 13 minute mark, then proceeds to tear up the fretboard while also singing every note. I've seen lots of people singing what they play and I know you're supposed to practice that way but he's got some accuracy and speed on this that is unusual.

Wacky comping by the piano player, but overall it's a great band and great set. Put this one on and just let it play for an hour or two.

User Info Menu

In a Mellow Tone-

Also includes Ceora, Girl from Ipanema, Someday my Prince will Come and a few more. If you can name the rest of the songs please reply. I have heard them but the names of the tunes are eluding me at the moment.

Sounds a bit different on a Gibson ES-335 (or something in that family), but it's a great trio performance.

User Info Menu

Yeah Ilya seems to be a legend in small circles, but for some reason mostly unknown on the internet.
    He doesn't play along to transcriptions at 300bpm on instagram.

User Info Menu

Sounds a bit different on a Gibson ES-335 (or something in that family), but it's a great trio performance.
    it looks like an es-330 , the guitar grant played on all of the classic blue note stuff. Its like a 335 but full hollow and single coils instead of humbuckers. I used to have that I wish i wouldn’t have sold

User Info Menu

In a Mellow Tone-

Also includes Ceora, Girl from Ipanema, Someday my Prince will Come and a few more. If you can name the rest of the songs please reply.
    Jeanine
    If I Had You

User Info Menu

A new video just came out, for a solo on "The Song Is You."

User Info Menu

Here's your weekly dose of Ilya-

User Info Menu

New Ilya just came out-

User Info Menu

Wow this version of Autumn Leaves is really something. I've heard it a zillion times but not like this-

User Info Menu

Here's Ilya on a '59 D'Angelico. Wow sounds awesome! I'll post this in the DA threads also.

User Info Menu

I’ve heard him a few times on streams.

it’s interesting that the first few times I heard him I didn’t think he was very good. In fact I think what it is is that I’m so used to hearing a certain approach to jazz guitar - even bop guitar - that I’m unused to hearing it done differently.

he certainly makes for an interesting contrast to all the very technical modern players who play very even and smooth with the tone rolled off. Not that he doesn’t have chops, but he seems willing to risk coming off the rails; not everything is clean, pretty and perfectly controlled. I think he’d be a really exciting ‘in the room player’.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    he certainly makes for an interesting contrast to all the very technical modern players who play very even and smooth with the tone rolled off. Not that he doesn’t have chops, but he seems willing to risk coming off the rails; not everything is clean, pretty and perfectly controlled. I think he’d be a really exciting ‘in the room player’.
    Barney Kessel vibes -

User Info Menu

What's an "in the room"player? I have heard that before but not sure what it means.

I like the adventurous style he brings for sure. It's more spontaneous than the modern/even style players.

User Info Menu

What's an "in the room"player? I have heard that before but not sure what it means.

I like the adventurous style he brings for sure. It's more spontaneous than the modern/even style players.
    Well I mean I think he’d be really good live in person, have a compelling energy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Well I mean I think he’d be really good live in person, have a compelling energy.
    Absolutely! I heard him play Un Poco Loco with a trio in Rome in 08 and it was compelling energy indeed.

User Info Menu

Barry's 80th - NYC

Ilya Lushtak-screenshot-2023-03-26-6-43-15-pm-png

User Info Menu

I have Illya's old 1963 Gibson Johnny Smith. I got it from one of his students. Its the same one in the video of Darn that Dream someone previously posted. When I bought it, it needed a lot of work. Binding repair, three cracks glued closed. But the guitar has such a unique old school sound. Its hard to describe.

User Info Menu

Heres a clip of the guitar today. I just joined and saw this post. I had alot of work done on this thing and im not sure if im going to keep it or not, yet....

I think this guitar is the one he played on the frank wess and hank jones record with John Weber and the same one he used to record with Cedar W. I'll ask him when i see him.