The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

You sound really good on that Johnny Smith.

The Hank and Frank album is now available on Spotify, apple music, YouTube, etc-

Unsupported browser

It's a great record. not just the playing but also the sound of the record is excellent. I was reading the liner notes, and it was recorded entirely on analog 2 inch tape, which is pretty rare these days. It got 5 stars from Downbeat.

What is that Cedar Walton record you're talking about? Can we get a list of all the Ilya side-man records all in one place here? He plays mostly with the legit old guys who were there when jazz was jazz.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    What is that Cedar Walton record you're talking about? Can we get a list of all the Ilya side-man records all in one place here? He plays mostly with the legit old guys who were there when jazz was jazz.
    It's actually under Dmitry Baevsky's name. 'Introducing Dmitry Baevsky' (Lineage, 2004) with Cedar Walton, John Webber and Jimmy Cobb. I had a copy at one time.

Ilya Lushtak-r-9614179-1491568029-1423-jpgIlya Lushtak-r-9614179-1491568028-7160-jpg

'Introducing Dmitry Baevsky' and the two volumes of 'Hank and Frank' represent the large part of his discography. Discogs and AllMusic list him as on Ray Appleton's 'Latin Dreams' (2006, an organ date that features Melvin Rhyne) and Ruslan Khain's 'Tie It In!' (2007) and that's it.
    Last edited by David B; 04-12-2023 at 07:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Man, I love this kind of threads, great learning about new players to watch for and listen to.

User Info Menu

This guy has 2 cutaway NYers on top of other vintage Gibsons he gigs with?
    I'm guessing he has another source of income.

User Info Menu

Well he's gigging internationally, on top of a zillion gigs in NYC, along with doing some high dollar teaching for 20+ years, so I think this means that there is hope that someone could make a good living from jazz and buy a few vintage guitars. I don't see someone having time for a 2nd job with that kind of heavy schedule. And DA guitars were not this expensive a decade or two ago before Rudy pumped their prices by hoarding them.

I've been following Ilya's career for a while and he's been gigging in the US, Russia, Isreal, etc.....and has gigs coming up soon in Mexico City. How many jazz guitarists are gigging internationally like that? Not many. I think he is quietly entering the list of "top 10 living jazz guitarists." If he ever puts out a few records featuring the guitar this will become more apparent to the public. There's gotta be a reason a lot of the older legends of jazz are choosing Ilya to play on their records.

User Info Menu

Well he's gigging internationally, on top of a zillion gigs in NYC, along with doing some high dollar teaching for 20+ years, so I think this means that there is hope that someone could make a good living from jazz and buy a few vintage guitars. I don't see someone having time for a 2nd job with that kind of heavy schedule. And DA guitars were not this expensive a decade or two ago before Rudy pumped their prices by hoarding them.

I've been following Ilya's career for a while and he's been gigging in the US, Russia, Isreal, etc.....and has gigs coming up soon in Mexico City. How many jazz guitarists are gigging internationally like that? Not many. I think he is quietly entering the list of "top 10 living jazz guitarists." If he ever puts out a few records featuring the guitar this will become more apparent to the public. There's gotta be a reason a lot of the older legends of jazz are choosing Ilya to play on their records.
    DAs have been very expensive since the 80s, I still doubt he bought them strictly from gigging and teaching, that's at least an 80K outlay, I could be wrong but I was implying that maybe his family is well off or he had some other kind of help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I saw him live quite many times while he was back in St.Petersburg, there he was kind of a star (the only other player who compete with him in that sense was Andrei Ryabov but he belongs to older generation and has indisputable reputation).

He is a master on the instrument and has huge vocabulary in trad jazz.
    You’re so fortunate to live in such a beautiful city. I love St. Petersburg. I spent 3 months there back in 2001 that I’ll never ever forget.

User Info Menu

Wow I would love to visit St. Petersburg.

User Info Menu

New Ilya video is out-

It's that '59 D'Angelico at Smalls again. Piano player is way better this time.

User Info Menu

Here's a full set with Aaron Johnson's Boplicity at Small's on 23 April 2023:

User Info Menu

But is it bebop? ;-)

User Info Menu

Could possibly be bebop!

User Info Menu

Some Ilya records on Spotify and apple music-

The first one is an Organ record "Latin Dreams." It does not have much latin music, it's mostly an organ record with Melvin Rhyne, who you may have heard of. Incredible organ player. Most of his records that have guitar have Peter Bernstein on them. This one has Ilya instead of Peter.

The other record is Hank and Frank with 2 all time greats- Hank Jones and Frank Wess. Straight ahead jazz record. The actual recording is quite good, all analog 2 inch tape, 5 stars from downbeat.

Unsupported browser

Unsupported browser

Hank and Frank (feat. Mickey Roker & John Webber) by Ilya Lushtak, Frank Wess & Hank Jones on Apple Music

Latin Dreams by Ilya Lushtak, Melvin Rhyne & Ray Appleton on Apple Music

User Info Menu

New Ilya video is out.

KILLER STUFF!!

User Info Menu

The new Ilya Lushtak video just came out-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho7R228_gYU

User Info Menu

There's a couple new Ilya videos out-

This one has vocals!

User Info Menu

and the previous one is not loading so I'm trying again-

User Info Menu

New Ilya video from Smalls just came out. Incredible drummer, ya gotta see the guitar/drum interplay on this one-

joelf Guest
    ...singing along with his solo...
    He's actually a wonderful singer of standards. Super talented cat and a good friend I've collaborated on gigs with many times.

He started and owned Lineage Records in the '90s and '00s, and recorded Eddie Diehl with Hank Jones,Frank Wess, Barry Harris and others.

Here's a link to the catalogue on Discogs:

Lineage Records Label | Releases | Discogs

User Info Menu

Reviving a bit of an older thread. I think the magic for me is that he is a modern evolution of straight ahead jazz and has a unique voice to his playing. It's hard to be unique playing standards on an archtop in the 2020s and he's one of the few that does it. Who are some other straight ahead (i.e. players who mostly stick to standards) out there today?

User Info Menu

Ilya playing Oleo.

Other straight ahead players- I'd say Peter Bernstein is pretty straight ahead, also Pasquale, and Bruce Foreman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMColeman
    Reviving a bit of an older thread. I think the magic for me is that he is a modern evolution of straight ahead jazz and has a unique voice to his playing. It's hard to be unique playing standards on an archtop in the 2020s and he's one of the few that does it. Who are some other straight ahead (i.e. players who mostly stick to standards) out there today?
    Frank Vignola and all of his guests.

joelf Guest
    We spoke on the phone the other day and I told him about this thread. He seemed to appreciate it, and noted 'Well, there's a lot of livestreaming' (from Smalls, I presume)...

User Info Menu

Here's Ilya on a Melvin Rhyne record. The record is called "Latin Dreams." (Not really a latin record, mostly straight ahead).

If you don't know Melvin Rhyne, he was the organ player on all the Wes Montgomery Trio records. On his later recordings he uses Peter Bernstein on guitar or in some cases Ilya Lushtak. Makes sense to me as both of them are somewhat Wes influenced.

This record is super good, really nice guitar sound and very tasteful playing. Ilya sounds a bit more subdued in the studio setting, not as much daredevil stuff as in the live videos. It's some more responsible jazz guitar playing, if that makes sense.