The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

https://youtu.be/bNmLIJsEapI

(if someone enlightens me, why is this youtube link shows as just the url and not the embedded video... )

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No idea, but it's working now.

User Info Menu

Sometimes it seems like Pete's approach boils down to "learn the tune right to begin with" and then "do something to make it interesting." Pithy and spot-on but not aimed at beginners, and yet very practical. Of course he's got a giant apperceptive mass behind all that, and the changes in his playing over decades have been really interesting. What a huge talent and he sounds like no one else.

User Info Menu

Seems like it works if I do it:

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up...I didn't even know this class was a thing, let alone does the
    link work.
    Love Peter's approach when he teaches....plays pretty good too

User Info Menu

Man, the Internet! You click on a link, and you can watch a Peter Bernstein masterclass chilling at home.. Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Sometimes it seems like Pete's approach boils down to "learn the tune right to begin with" and then "do something to make it interesting." Pithy and spot-on but not aimed at beginners, and yet very practical. Of course he's got a giant apperceptive mass behind all that, and the changes in his playing over decades have been really interesting. What a huge talent and he sounds like no one else.
    I find his approach to teaching very musical and artistic. He reminds me a lot of my classical theory teacher in my young years who influenced me a lot.
    The main focus is on languge, music is treated not as sounds but as a semantic system that has meanings.

Another strong point to me is that it is generally no matter how you call things or what theoretic apparatus you use - what matters is how you hear things work in particular context, that brings forward playing and studying a lot of real music and distinguishing idioms in context as a starting point instead of abstract turnarounds.

And always focusing on contents. It is great if someone hears resolution of dominant to tonic, but it is more important how he/she uses it in terms of creating a story/meaningful contents.

All in I think this approach avoids any conventional systematic methods - you just dive into world music and his stress that whatever you practice you always should play music in artistic sense from the very first steps.

In my opinion it is very natural approach and I am always syrprised how few teachers with that approach I met both jazz and classical world.

User Info Menu

Breath of fresh air to see a player dwell - for most of the clip - on comping. Interesting to learn about Jim Hall's influence on Bernstein's comping, Hall being such a master of that art.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spir4L
    Seems like it works if I do it:

That was awesome, thanks for posting.

A lesson with Peter Bernstein, in short:

”if you do this .. you have this .. you don’t have THIS … which is just this .. not THIS .. or this .. you get this … and this .. which is this, not this”.