The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone ever listen to him? Pretty awesome bopper. I've always been surprised he doesn't get more recognition.

Pretty strange group here, cello & bass.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He's playing it in four.

User Info Menu

Some nice words about him in this thread from earlier this year: Joshua Breakstone

As I wrote there, his 2000 album of Bud Powell's music is well worth seeking out.

User Info Menu

Seen him live a few times when he tours Japan, and attended a couple workshops. Great player!

User Info Menu

I've mentioned him several times on JGO. One of my favorite players with an instantaneously recognizable musical voice. And a very decent person as well. He's responded to me every time I've ever contacted him with one of my inane questions. Also put out a book of model solos for teaching improvisation.

User Info Menu

One of my favorites! We had a short thread about him earlier this year that began with the same thoughts.

As for the cello / bass rhythm section, there are some great pairings like that in jazz history. Fred Katz was a fine jazz cellist who put out some great ones, including this trio with bass (Hal Gaylor) and guitar (John Pisano):

I also love Ron Carter's use of the piccolo bass as lead. Here's a great album from the '70s called Piccolo, on which he plays it as the lead instrument with Buster Williams, Ben Riley and Kenny Baron. Sadly, I don't know of any recordings with Carter on piccolo and a guitarist.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the 4 5 6 Fred Katz album cut. That's a real obscure one.
    Here's another one with Billy Bean on it